Interface - another time for a new one (again)

General recording topics.
liv_rong

Interface - another time for a new one (again)

Post by liv_rong »

So my Roland was great until it wasn’t. After multiple hours over many days I could not get it working again. So now it’s gone, has been for about a month. I was going to wait a bit for a new one but all this down time at home sheltering in place has been brutal and I need to be able to record.

I’ve got it down to two options right now, the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (which I’m leaning heavily towards) or the new PreSonus Studio 1824c.

Both have the option to add a few more channels later, which I like and they are both the same price. I’m thinking the Focusrite has been around a while and now I’m it’s 3rd generation will be smooth sailing and it’s preamps are likely better than the PreSonus.

I guess I’ve already pretty much made up my mind lol but seeking words from ya’ll anyways.
Greg_L

Re: Interface - another time for a new one (again)

Post by Greg_L »

I recently switched to the Scarlett 18i20. Focusrite seems to be the brand du jour right now. It's okay. It does what it's supposed to. There's nothing magical about it's preamps and it's "Focusrite Control" virtual routing matrix thing is fucking stupid as hell. It basically makes anything that should be simple extremely counter-intuitive. It has a lot of features that are unnecessarily difficult to utilize or implement.

But for just plugging in and recording? It does fine. It's just another interface.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have the 18i20 as well. I will agree with greg that the Focusrite Control thing is an aggravtimg headache. Im not sure what it isintended use would be?! Bigger studios?! Multiple monitor set ups?! Regardless prepare for mindmelt. But we are all there with you. I guess that would be the uptick there. You are in good hands. Greg as drummer willbe handy to have as support. I have one and i think maybe JD and miner do as well?!

I have heard that the preamps are supposed to blow all others out of the water. I have nothing to compare it to so i cant say yes or no to that. They do their job and thats about all i can really comment.

I havent read anything bad about the presonus though and it is also a good name.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The hype about preamps on these middle ground consumer grade home use interfaces is way overblown. There is no difference. They're all clean and dry and they just amplify signal, which is all they're supposed to do. There is no special character or tone in these preamps.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I have one. It works.

The focusrite VST bundles are good.

I think focusrite control is for a live setting... not that anyone will ever use it for that.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

What’s the Control thing? Like a routing matrix? My old one had that too but I never needed to use it. Will I have to fuck with it to set it up initially? Is it really that bad? I just want to plug it in, change my settings in Reaper and then go.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:07 pm What’s the Control thing? Like a routing matrix? My old one had that too but I never needed to use it. Will I have to fuck with it to set it up initially? Is it really that bad? I just want to plug it in, change my settings in Reaper and then go.
You don't need to use the Focusrite Control thing. You might want to manage a few settings with it right off the bat, but overall no you never need to open it. I never do.

You can just plug it in, run the install, and tell Reaper to use it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. Just ignore it.
I haven't used it since the day I plugged it in.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Alright thanks guys! Trigger pulled!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Damn, shipping slow though. Usually I get stuff like next day or two days but it says due to the things happening that it may be “early to mid April”.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Shite at the moment isn't it.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Later down the road I’ll likely add the Behringer ADA8200 for 8 more inputs.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I think that you made a great choice. The 18i20 has all of the inputs and outputs that a drummer needs (especially when you add the ADA8200 in the future). I haven't used the 3rd gen Focusrite stuff yet, but the 1st and 2nd gen were solid. The 3rd gen adds that "air" switch that adds an EQ bump in the 4K-ish range and can sound nice when used on a thing or two in the mix.

Hopefully the shipping doesn't take forever!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Thanks need 7 inputs for my drums and I always have a channel set for my guitar cab. I like having those ready to go all the time. That’s why I liked my last interface, when I had people over those channels were set and forget(for the most part) and I could easily plug in another mic for a guitar can or a Bass di from an amp. Was nice having those options, that’s why I would add the Behringer unit.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Got it today. Setup was pretty simple. I havent recorded anything yet though, so far just plugged it all in to see if it works and that I can hear sounds.

First thing I noticed right away is that it seems to be much quieter than my last one. I always had my monitor knob about halfway on my old interface and controlled the rest from the Big Knob. With this I gotta twist them knobs just a bit more. No big deal, interesting is all.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Is there a way to keep the phantom power on all the time? Every time I turn the unit off I have to switch the phantom
Power back on.

I just screwed up a drum take because the overheads weren’t working lol. Luckily it was just a take to see how a drum part sounded against a song.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've not checked this... I'll look into it tomorrow.
I barely ever remember to the the interface itself off!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

HA! Some brownie points for the ugly 2nd gen sibling in the basement. MY PHANTOM POWER STAYS ON AT ALL TIMES MUAHAHAHAHAHA
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:38 pm HA! Some brownie points for the ugly 2nd gen sibling in the basement. MY PHANTOM POWER STAYS ON AT ALL TIMES MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Mine too!

I'm gonna turn my phantom power on now before bed just so I'm safe in the knowledge it'll still be on in the morning in case I need it.