Interface - another time for a new one (again)

General recording topics.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Interface - another time for a new one (again)

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Am I the only one who prefers phantom power off by default
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:40 am Am I the only one who prefers phantom power off by default
Nope. I don't want it on unless I turn it on.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:44 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:40 am Am I the only one who prefers phantom power off by default
Nope. I don't want it on unless I turn it on.
Mine stays off at all times unless i am using it. I was just being an asshole trying to justify my ugly 18i20.

Also while we are measuring dicks,

The second gen 18i20 has a phantom power switch for inputs 1-4 and a separate one for inputs 5 thru 8 which i found kind of odd but i am sure there may be some sort of function to all that. But does your guys 3rd gen one do the same thing with the two different swtiches? [mention]liv_rong[/mention] and [mention]Greg_L[/mention]
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Mine stays off at all times unless i am using it. I was just being an asshole trying to justify my ugly 18i20.

The second gen 18i20 has a phantom power switch for inputs 1-4 and a separate one for inputs 5 thru 8 which i found kind of odd but i am sure there may be some sort of function to all that. But does your guys 3rd gen one do the same thing with the two different swtiches? @liv_rong and @Greg_L
Yes. I think most interfaces group phantom power across multiple inputs.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:13 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:57 pm

The second gen 18i20 has a phantom power switch for inputs 1-4 and a separate one for inputs 5 thru 8 which i found kind of odd but i am sure there may be some sort of function to all that. But does your guys 3rd gen one do the same thing with the two different swtiches? @liv_rong and @Greg_L
Yes. I think most interfaces group phantom power across multiple inputs.
Interesting. I wonder why? I will make note of that in Rainy Day Investigations journal.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Interesting. I wonder why? I will make note of that in Rainy Day Investigations journal.
I'm just guessing, but maybe complexity and noise potential? It's probably easier to just strap 48v across multiple inputs instead of giving each input it's own supply and control.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

It's better for your mics if it's off when you plug in the cable. Although not a huge potential, but there is potential in frying the capsule while plugging the cable into the mic body. It's never happened to me (and I've left phantom power on my live rig a bunch of times) but it has happened to a friend of mine who's been doing live sound professionally for over 30 years. If I had any high end mics (over $500, which I currently don't have) I would make an effort to turn it on and off only when being used. In my case, I'd rather not take the chance on burning out a mic on a gig even though I usually have backups.