Over-reliance on techniques

General recording topics.
Armistice

Re: Over-reliance on techniques

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:49 pm why wouldn't you just play root position A with an open B string ..... a voicing I use constantly and very often instead of play a IV chord in a progression
I use both of them all the time - but they're different and sound different.

Just playing an open B string gives you A E A B E, the mu major gives you A E B C# E - it contains the 3rd that the other version doesn't. They're both simple as to play if you have the correct sized first joint on your first finger, which I do.

That's probably another interesting question for people - if you're playing an A chord in root position - full chord, all 5 notes A E A C# E, how do you do it? One finger or three?

I always play one finger, and to play the mu major I just slip the 4th finger into place in the position, 4th fret, G string - and that was my original point - I almost do it automatically, when playing a standard A probably would often sound better. And I'm referring to creating my own tunes here, I'm not substituting it in for a normal A in other peep's tunes. Just something I do too often. :like:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:19 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:49 pm why wouldn't you just play root position A with an open B string ..... a voicing I use constantly and very often instead of play a IV chord in a progression
I use both of them all the time - but they're different and sound different.

Just playing an open B string gives you A E A B E, the mu major gives you A E B C# E - it contains the 3rd that the other version doesn't. They're both simple as to play if you have the correct sized first joint on your first finger, which I do.

That's probably another interesting question for people - if you're playing an A chord in root position - full chord, all 5 notes A E A C# E, how do you do it? One finger or three?

I always play one finger, and to play the mu major I just slip the 4th finger into place in the position, 4th fret, G string - and that was my original point - I almost do it automatically, when playing a standard A probably would often sound better. And I'm referring to creating my own tunes here, I'm not substituting it in for a normal A in other peep's tunes. Just something I do too often. :like:
I've always played open A Major with 2 fingers. :crazy: It's just how I've been playing it since I can remember. I also normally use my index and little fingers for barre chords (like a C at the 3rd fret) rather than index and ring fingers. I'm not sure why I ever started doing those things but when I'm being lazy, that's what I do. :facepalm2:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:19 pm That's probably another interesting question for people - if you're playing an A chord in root position - full chord, all 5 notes A E A C# E, how do you do it? One finger or three?

Ohh i can participate in this one. :lollers: :lollers:

I do both. When ever it makes sense for the transitions between chords is what dictates when. I'll do one finger on all three or three fingers play all the strings. And oddly to me each way sounds different. If i think of it when i record my acoustic guitar next i'll snag a sample of each way to show you guys and see if you hear the difference. I have no predisposed method of when to use either fretting method. I think just whatever way might be easiest to get there. I make a mockery of guitar playing as it is so why not compound it with a bit of inconsistency.

Sometimes i do it Lt. Bobs way too. It sounds better to be honest. A Full root A sounds dumb to my ears most times.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:33 pm
Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:19 pm That's probably another interesting question for people - if you're playing an A chord in root position - full chord, all 5 notes A E A C# E, how do you do it? One finger or three?

Ohh i can participate in this one. :lollers: :lollers:

I do both. When ever it makes sense for the transitions between chords is what dictates when. I'll do one finger on all three or three fingers play all the strings. And oddly to me each way sounds different. If i think of it when i record my acoustic guitar next i'll snag a sample of each way to show you guys and see if you hear the difference. I have no predisposed method of when to use either fretting method. I think just whatever way might be easiest to get there. I make a mockery of guitar playing as it is so why not compound it with a bit of inconsistency.

Sometimes i do it Lt. Bobs way too. It sounds better to be honest. A Full root A sounds dumb to my ears most times.
Which three fingers? :cool:

If I'm playing it with three fingers, unless I have a reason to do otherwise I tend to use 2, 3 & 4, rather than 1, 2 & 3. Seems a more natural thing to do if an E chord is also involved, which it usually is.

I probably should call them i, m, r, p instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 but I'm sure you get what I mean. :nyuk:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am not entirely sure to be honest. I have never thought about it? I'll also make a mental note of that next time.

Me and consistency aren't really best buds.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Hmmm, how I play A major depends on how I'm playing.
If I'm playing electric with a bit of gain I'll just slap my finger across fret 2 and not bother hitting the top e string.
If I'm playing cleaner and a more intricately I'll use my first three fingers.

For A shape bar chords I use my index finger and little finger. I can quite easily flex my little finger to let the top e string ring correctly.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:19 pm

I always play one finger, and to play the mu major I just slip the 4th finger into place in the position, 4th fret, G string -
I actually use that all the time also ..... but I don't think of it as any different than a regular A chord since C# is in an A chord .... it's just a different inversion.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Late to this, but yeah I think trying things outside of your comfort zone can help you grow.

That's why I like collaborating with people who enjoy different styles of music more than I do.

I have done some songs with [mention]rayc[/mention] that are really not in my wheel house, but thoroughly enjoyed and think turned out pretty well.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:53 pm I have done some songs with @rayc that are really not in my wheel house, but thoroughly enjoyed and think turned out pretty well.
I enjoy popping guitars onto Ray's tunes too. The changes aren't ones I'd normally go to so I have to think a bit.