New Rebel

Every great relationship starts with an introduction. Say "Hi!" and tells us a bit about yourself. Meet your new BFFs. No oversharing, please.
steveb63

New Rebel

Post by steveb63 »

Hi everyone,
My name is Steve, started my recording journey a long time ago, remember the old tape four tracks? Lol.
As of last spring made the jump to Windows daw.

Not used to speaking about myself, but happy to answer any questions anyone has.

I'm sure to be annoying you all with stupid questions in no time, as my Father used to say "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people" Ha.

Well have fun rebelling and all, talk to you soon.
Peace
Steve
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: New Rebel

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Welcome aboard Steve. We were all new to this at one point as well so we get it. You are in pretty good hands here. Make yourself at home.

Which DAW did you decide to go with? I think a very large part of us here are primarily use Reaper! I think a few stragglers in here may use Cubase and Abelton. Could be a few others but largely all Reaper.
:happytrees:
steveb63

Post by steveb63 »

I'm a Reaper man , myself.

Having a ball with it.

Thanks for the welcome
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

steveb63 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 pm I'm a Reaper man , myself.

Having a ball with it.

Thanks for the welcome
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Welcome! We're pretty much all Reaper users, so the brain trust here is strong.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Welcome new Rebel. Your Dad was correct... Sadly with the rise of the interwebz there is now a plethora of stupid answers as well but we are here to save you from that. Lots of experience and knowledge here with only a smattering of stupid. Enjoy
steveb63

Post by steveb63 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:56 pm
steveb63 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 pm I'm a Reaper man , myself.

Having a ball with it.

Thanks for the welcome
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Welcome! We're pretty much all Reaper users, so the brain trust here is strong.
Thanks
steveb63

Post by steveb63 »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] yjack, I was perusing old posts on the site here, was looking at the thread on what everyone does for a living.

Apparently we have our professions in common, 30 year land surveyor myself. I guess you could say I was a Reaper and Trimble man lol.
Small world!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

steveb63 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:30 pm WhiskeyJack yjack, I was perusing old posts on the site here, was looking at the thread on what everyone does for a living.

Apparently we have our professions in common, 30 year land surveyor myself. I guess you could say I was a Reaper and Trimble man lol.
Small world!
Hey nice! 30 years is a pretty decent career man. Congrats! Can't wait to hear the horror storys you put your rodmen through!!! :lollers: :lollers: :like: Another regular here [mention]Armistice[/mention] Also did a stint in the Aussie outback as a surveyor as well. We will have to have a knitting circle some time haha.

If you are using Reaper you are in a pretty good place. We recently had a new user sign up that was part of the reaper development team. Pretty cool. Busy guy though and isn't on here much but he is a good resource to have none the less.
:happytrees:
steveb63

Post by steveb63 »

Although I stumbled in here, looks like I picked the right place, current project is rectifying the photogrammetry for 24 miles of new freeway in Arizona.

I've been involved in Civil Engineering my whole life, best friends Dad was a surveyor never have had another job in my life. Started off as a chainman lol, they don't even exist anymore.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

welcome fellow Steve!

Although here I'm known as Lt. Bob or Lt. Boob or sometimes "Hey Butthole!" but I'm actually a Steve.

This is a good site .... good people and some good brains.
steveb63

Post by steveb63 »

Nice to meet you Lt. Bob- Steve
muttley

Post by muttley »

steveb63 wrote:Nice to meet you Lt. Bob- Steve
Ignore him. He's a crusty old git.

(Smile Lt...)

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

steveb63

Post by steveb63 »

Hiya Muttley
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:11 pm
steveb63 wrote:Nice to meet you Lt. Bob- Steve
Ignore him. He's a crusty old git.

(Smile Lt...)

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
Muttley knows me well and get off my lawn!!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Welcome, Steve! Good to have you aboard.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

muttley wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:59 pm a smattering of stupid.
I thought we agreed you wouldn't call me that anymore? :mad2:
:biggrin:

Welcome aboard Steve :like:

Photogrammetry - ugh - that was the one thing when I was studying surveying that I didn't get on with. I'd be happily following a contour, or so I thought, and next thing you know I'd be 200m underground. Again. :redface:

Truth be told, once I graduated college with my surveying degree I never again looked through a theodolite. It was a difficult time. :eep: But the course took 6 years and more than 50% of that time was spent working in private surveying companies (Paid! None of that intern shit that happens these days...) doing actual surveying - so I have some stories... :biggrin:

Also a Reaper user. I'm the guy you ask if you want to know what colours to use on your tracks. (hint - reverb bus works best as a dark pink :like: )

See you around...

You've been here almost a day now - I'm surprised you haven't collabed with [mention]rayc[/mention] yet... :nyuk:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:23 am You've been here almost a day now - I'm surprised you haven't collabed with @rayc yet... :nyuk:
:lollers2:

I love a good rayc collab. They're normally just what I need to get me out of a rut.

I use Reaper too. I can't think of a reason not too.
I can't think of a single thing that I want to do that Reaper doesn't do... and Reaper is cheap.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Hello Steveb63.
Welcome to the house without chains, (unless you want them).
I can recognise a theodolite from some distance and do slow to 4okph when passing the "chain gang".
I am one of those people who can't sing nor play guitar solos and possessed of a chronic non-melodic sense so almost everyone on the forum has collaborated with me at some stage so I could get a project finished as it's easier for folk to appease me than to be confronted with my interminable micro remixes.
Folk have jumped in to play rhythm guitar for me from time to time as my Marshall sounds more like a missile.
NOT TO MENTION the occasional sacrifice of a full mic'ed kit drums every now and then.
I'm lucky to have had JD01, Greg_L, Armistice, musicturtle, vomitHatSteve, Ido1957, Supercreep, Bubba, RAMI and Lt. Bob contribute to my stuff at different times here and in "the other place". That means I'm yet to convince WhiskeyJack & Tadpui to muck in as yet.
I'm a Reaper user and I now know how to set a colour for a subgroup/bus!
I THINK I'm also the only retired person hereabouts.
Worse than being a retiree I'm also a BIAB user, (though in a limited capacity).
Cheers
rayc
steveb63

Post by steveb63 »

Thanks for all the warm welcomes
Had no idea there was a forum for surveyors that are frustrated musicians.

Definitely found the right place, and truth be told I haven't looked through a theodolite, total station etc.... In a long time. Az is GPS friendly, not a lot of occluded site out here!

I spend half my time being a Project Manager these days, can surf the web at my desk!

Peace and thanks again for making me feel at home.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:52 pm welcome fellow Steve!

Although here I'm known as Lt. Bob or Lt. Boob or sometimes "Hey Butthole!" but I'm actually a Steve.

This is a good site .... good people and some good brains.
Alright. That's plenty enough steves. We need to calm down.

Unless you guys want to start a tribute project to my other band: The Steves.