Unfortunate Attempt to Cull the Herd.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Unfortunate Attempt to Cull the Herd.

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:29 am

They have always been vogue and command silly prices.
I know. And as little as I'd use a hollowbody they're an obscene option to even consider. But I sure do love them.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:38 am

I know. And as little as I'd use a hollowbody they're an obscene option to even consider. But I sure do love them.
Yeh they are nice. A mate of mine has an old one in pretty much original factory condition. It's stunning and lovely to play. Sounds exactly like a Falcon no matter what you plug it into as well. I really want to take the pickups apart but he wont let me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:49 am

Yeh they are nice. A mate of mine has an old one in pretty much original factory condition. It's stunning and lovely to play. Sounds exactly like a Falcon no matter what you plug it into as well. I really want to take the pickups apart but he wont let me.
Ha yeah. I have friend that has one from, I'm guessing, mid-to-late 70s. He's a drummer, can barely even play powerchords and he's always ALWAYS in financial trouble. I'm like "SELL ME YOUR FALCON YOU FUCKING MORON!". He won't do it. Idiot.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have like 3 'tele's .... what I don't like is the body shape ..... square with the edge digging into my side and the other edge digging into my arm.

I almost never play them ..... just uncomfortable for me
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:34 pm I have like 3 'tele's .... what I don't like is the body shape ..... square with the edge digging into my side and the other edge digging into my arm.

Ha yeah they are built like literally "the first guitar". Just enough was done to make a solid body electric guitar shape plank of wood and they just stopped there.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:23 am I do still need a hollowbody. I've pretty much given up on finding a reasonably priced White Falcon. Not gonna happen. :frown:
Speaking of hollow bodies... when are you heading west?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I want a hollowbody too... and the White Falcon was up there, but yeah, stupid money. Some of the Duesenbergs look pretty nice. I'm not so much interested in the Gibson line.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:34 pm I have like 3 'tele's .... what I don't like is the body shape ..... square with the edge digging into my side and the other edge digging into my arm.

They finally got around to doing something about that, but only on the upper end of the range. That was what I didn't particularly like about my mate's Tele but when I saw that they'd finally created a belly cut version, the way was clear.... :lollers:
20210731_072459_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:23 pm I guess I could build me one?

https://www.solomusicgear.com/product/s ... rato-trem/
oooh .... DO IT!!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:46 am
oooh .... DO IT!!
I'd have to replace just about everything though. Get a real Bigsby, get Mutt to make me some Gretschy pickups, good pots, I'm sure the nut is junk, better tuners. And of course...paint. Maybe do like an ugly black stain and call it a Black Buzzard, :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That's where i got my tele kit. Do it.
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I never got the obsession with teles. I feel like strats are better in every way.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:23 pm

Speaking of hollow bodies... when are you heading west?
I'm making a flying visit in Mid August for the parents belated 60th Wedding which was cancelled last year. I will have the whole family with me though so... More likely better to hook up once the silly season is done and I have bedded boy one in UNI around Sept. I normally have a week or two down home when the tourists have gone home. I will let you know.. :like:
muttley

Post by muttley »

If you do, give me a shout. It would be pretty simple. The hardest bit would be setting the neck angle and I'm pretty sure you have the skills to do that.

Things I would change in order would be Pups, Pots, the switch then the tuners.

TBH though you would be far better off hunting down a used copy along these lines. I have set up a few and done pup swaps on em and they are more than half decent.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/W ... 8007033.gc

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/epip ... ith-bigsby
muttley

Post by muttley »

or one of these knockoffs and get it set up.

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/gret ... t-agr.html
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:29 am or one of these knockoffs and get it set up.

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/gret ... t-agr.html
I do like those "lower end" Gretsch guitars. I've played a bunch of them and they're all pretty decent.

The Epi Wildkats are too small.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:58 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:46 am
oooh .... DO IT!!
I'd have to replace just about everything though. Get a real Bigsby,
All the other stuff I can see but what about that makes you think it wouldn't function well?

A Bigsby-type trem is a really simple mechanism and as long as the bearings/bushings are decent I don't see any reason to assume that one needs replacing
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 pm
Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:58 am

I'd have to replace just about everything though. Get a real Bigsby,
All the other stuff I can see but what about that makes you think it wouldn't function well?

A Bigsby-type trem is a really simple mechanism and as long as the bearings/bushings are decent I don't see any reason to assume that one needs replacing
Those solo kits he linked to are all offshore mega cheap stuff. that tele i built came from the same place, Solo Music Gear, and has parts i will eventually replace. The machine heads are already loosening up and are starting to feel cheap to me, i've only been playing it since January or whenever I finished it. The pots are garbage, the wiring on the pick ups are decidedly cheap, the pick ups themselves are kind of crap but passable to get it playable for a guy like me. Definitely not for some who works at this stuff. I would have a bit of doubts about the functionality of the trem that may come with that kit.

You guys will hear that guitar soon actually, i am just trying to finesse a solo into a cover. It's taking a little longer than usual becasue there is no dirt or overdrive in this cover and all sounds are clean. I can't hide my flubs and hamfisted solos. I digress.

I think for a player like me I'd be inclined to just try the trem that came in that kit out at first and see how it goes. But a player like Greg and yourself even maybe would probably want known reliability out of the gate. If that makes sense. Like why gamble on something that might not work and go right for what you know works?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 pm All the other stuff I can see but what about that makes you think it wouldn't function well?

I've seen quite few Bigsby knockoffs that don't work well at all. Their moving parts are loose and wobbly and just don't have good fit and finish.

Real Bigsbys use bearings. Bigsby "licensed" lower end stuff uses bushings. Either is fine. Knockoffs use the bushing method and not very well.
Rebel Yell