Unfortunate Attempt to Cull the Herd.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Unfortunate Attempt to Cull the Herd.

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:19 pm ummmm .... a number please?
2 les pauls
3 SGs
2 Mosrites
1 Hallmark
1 Rivolta
1 Chibson LP Jr
1 Strat
2 P basses
1 Squier acoustic
1 Banjo guitar

15 total.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Thats a good collection. A lot of stuff there I really want.
Trading in at least one of the SGs for a tele and one of the Les Paul's for my crimson and I'd be happy with thst.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:00 pm
Trading in at least one of the SGs for a tele and one of the Les Paul's for my crimson
lol hell fuck no
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:18 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:00 pm
Trading in at least one of the SGs for a tele and one of the Les Paul's for my crimson
lol hell fuck no
Open your heart to a telecaster. i know you want to. Once you get that twang and thin lifeless SPLONK in your life you won't look back. :happytrees:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Open your heart to a telecaster. i know you want to. Once you get that twang and thin lifeless SPLONK in your life you won't look back. :happytrees:
I'm not a great guitarist by any means, but I have had guitars in my hands for over 30 years now. Never, not once, ever, in my guitar playing life have I ever thought "man I need a Telecaster".
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:53 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:46 pm

I'm not a great guitarist by any means, but I have had guitars in my hands for over 30 years now. Never, not once, ever, in my guitar playing life have I ever thought "man I need a Telecaster".
You’d sound good on a telecaster!

I agree they’re not a pretty guitar, whenever I see “fancy” teles I think they look awful. A Les Paul is a genuinely pretty guitar.

I think what I like about teles is that they’re easy to play, they sound good in a mix and they’re utilitarian. There’s no bells and whistles on a tele. They’re like the AK47 of guitar.

And I find them appealing for that reason.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:54 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:19 pm ummmm .... a number please?
2 les pauls
3 SGs
2 Mosrites
1 Hallmark
1 Rivolta
1 Chibson LP Jr
1 Strat
2 P basses
1 Squier acoustic
1 Banjo guitar

15 total.
That strat is a deluxe plus if I recall, yeah? Mine is a deluxe plus, too.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:14 pm

I agree they’re not a pretty guitar, whenever I see “fancy” teles I think they look awful. A Les Paul is a genuinely pretty guitar.

I think what I like about teles is that they’re easy to play, they sound good in a mix and they’re utilitarian. There’s no bells and whistles on a tele. They’re like the AK47 of guitar.

Utilitarian also implies useful. I have no use for a Tele. They're actually the least useful of all of Fenders crappy guitars. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:01 pm

That strat is a deluxe plus if I recall, yeah? Mine is a deluxe plus, too.
Not mine. My Strat is just a generic early 90s Mexican Fender Strat. Completely unremarkable and unworthy of love or attention.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:14 pm

Utilitarian also implies useful. I have no use for a Tele. They're actually the least useful of all of Fenders crappy guitars. :lollers2:
Even when you listen to The Clash?

I'm with you on the Strat thing though. Fender couldn't even get the pointy bit right. I have two in my Arsenal and thats three two many. One is a tester for my pups I made and the other is a Japanese 70's one I got from a friend who is no longer with us so I kind of feel I have to keep it. Every other Strat I have made or owned I couldn't wait to see the back of...

Strats are by far the least useful of all Fender guitars to me. The Telecaster is the Stradavari of Rock n Roll.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:43 pm Even when you listen to The Clash?
I've always said that I like lots of music made with Teles. I just don't like them for me.
I'm with you on the Strat thing though. Fender couldn't even get the pointy bit right. I have two in my Arsenal and thats three two many. One is a tester for my pups I made and the other is a Japanese 70's one I got from a friend who is no longer with us so I kind of feel I have to keep it. Every other Strat I have made or owned I couldn't wait to see the back of...

Strats are by far the least useful of all Fender guitars to me. The Telecaster is the Stradavari of Rock n Roll.
See I hate Strats and I still prefer them to Teles. Why? Vibrato. Both guitars sound thin and weak. But at least I can get surfy with a Strat's wiggle arm. A Tele is useless in any musical situation for me. For my musical stylings there's nothing I could do with a Tele that I couldn't do better with a Gibson or Mosrite.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

All depends upon style you play. I was very anti Tele until I picked up a mate's and thought that it was actually the perfect basic undistorted electric guitar sound with which I could do whatever I wanted. So I got one. They sound shit in a room on their own IMO - work better in a mix.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:57 pm
muttley wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:43 pm Even when you listen to The Clash?
I've always said that I like lots of music made with Teles. I just don't like them for me.

See I hate Strats and I still prefer them to Teles. Why? Vibrato. Both guitars sound thin and weak. But at least I can get surfy with a Strat's wiggle arm. A Tele is useless in any musical situation for me. For my musical stylings there's nothing I could do with a Tele that I couldn't do better with a Gibson or Mosrite.
I'm sure I could do a lot of stuff with a Strat I just don't like the way they sound. I have never got passed that thin quacky sound, it just makes my ears vomit. Its probably psychological/pathological dislike now though. I'm sure its me though because others dont get it so I let it go... Even the Strat I have is now kitted out with the Ripper pups I designed for Miner... Those I get.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 pm All depends upon style you play. I was very anti Tele until I picked up a mate's and thought that it was actually the perfect basic undistorted electric guitar sound with which I could do whatever I wanted. So I got one. They sound shit in a room on their own IMO - work better in a mix.
A Telecaster would be the solid body in my "Desert Island" Rig for that reason. So much flexibility in such a functional format.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:06 pm

I'm sure I could do a lot of stuff with a Strat I just don't like the way they sound. I have never got passed that thin quacky sound, it just makes my ears vomit. Its probably psychological/pathological dislike now though. I'm sure its me though because others dont get it so I let it go... Even the Strat I have is now kitted out with the Ripper pups I designed for Miner... Those I get.
Yeah Strats make lots of sounds and none of them are particularly good. My own Strat is kind of an anomaly. I think there's something wrong with the pickups or they're just not your typical Strat pickups because they actually have a little fullness to them. I don't know why. They're not as thin and screechy as typical Strat pickups. Strat fans would hate my Strat, which is probably why I can tolerate it.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:08 pm

A Telecaster would be the solid body in my "Desert Island" Rig for that reason. So much flexibility in such a functional format.
Well sure, if you can manage to scrap a boat together a Tele would make a great paddle to get off that island. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:12 pm
muttley wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Well sure, if you can manage to scrap a boat together a Tele would make a great paddle to get off that island. :coolstorybro:
Yeh but the boat would sink under the weight of my Marshall stack and Burns head amp. :redface:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 pm

Yeh but the boat would sink under the weight of my Marshall stack and Burns head amp. :redface:
:lollers:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I do still need a hollowbody. I've pretty much given up on finding a reasonably priced White Falcon. Not gonna happen. :frown:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:23 am I do still need a hollowbody. I've pretty much given up on finding a reasonably priced White Falcon. Not gonna happen. :frown:
They have always been vogue and command silly prices.