Unfortunate Attempt to Cull the Herd.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Unfortunate Attempt to Cull the Herd.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

As the title implies i was thinking for the last few weeks now i should try to thin out my collection of guitars to a practical logical state. I currently have three Les Paul Styled humbucking guitars. A 2004 MiC Epiphone LP Standard, A Sparrow Rat Rod Mega Destoryer and a 70's Era Ibanez PF350. The latter was a family hand me down from my dad, the Sparrow was a dream guitar i found for sale for pretty much the world biggest steal and the Epiphone was the first guitar i ever bought for myself brand new off the shelf.

Last night after a having a chat with [mention]JD01[/mention] and realizing how little time i have spent with any of my guitars i decided to spend a few hours and play all of them and see what ones i truly loved or needed work or whatever the case may be as a final judgement. But my mind was totally made up to just sell the Epiphone. There wasn't really anything special about it beyond the sentimental value it has to me. It's light as a feather and feels like it has no neat physically, i have never really loved the boring blonde flame top, all the hardware feels cheap and the pick ups are nothing special. whatever comes stock on Epi LP standard back in 04. So of the three it seemed to be a no brainier. The other two i feel like i have to keep. Even though that Sparrow needs some work.

Wouldn't you fucking know that the only guitar that i whipped out to play last night that was perfectly in tune, not a string out out of tune!!! The strings (NYXL's) still sounded pristine and bright and as new as the day i put em on there. The intonation was immaculate, the neck relief and action were absolute perfection for me. I remember now why i went with that boring colored one over the other more pretty ones in the store that day. These are all things i would expect of my Gibson LpJr or the Ibanez or even the sparrow for that matter. However, i guess those are all working guitars and are meant to be played more than they have been the last few months. The only shitty thing about the Epiphone is that it took a lot of work to get a good tone out out of it. It did sound a little dull and limp and i am not 100% sure if that is because it is so physically light built from shitty wood, or if it is the height or quality of the pick ups. I suspect it is entirely the pick ups.

And with that said i am keeping all three of them!! :lollers2: :lollers2: I am going to sell my Fender acoustic i forgot i even had that has been sitting in a closet for god knows how long.

OH!!! And in other sort of semi-exciting news, my dumpstercaster i had been slowly picking away at last fall plays like a friggin dream :lollers2: :lollers2: :like: I had been slowly rehydrating and diligently making very subtle truss rod adjustments every so often. (A new skill to me i am still incredibly leary of handling my self) Last time i touched it was last October. I took it out last night plugged it in and aside from needing to be intonated and the action raised ever so slightly it's pretty much playable. I doubt i will keep it for very long as i owe someone from my past a guitar and this might be just the thing if he is into it. I have to track him down though and feel him out to see if he is still playing. I have no love for strats but as usual with any guitar this one has a cool story and it might be fun to hang onto lol.

Ok thats my Friday story for you all. As you were.
:happytrees:
muttley

Re: Unfortunate Attempt to Cull the Herd.

Post by muttley »

How are the G90"s coming along????
muttley

Post by muttley »

Oh and you made the right call dumping the Fender acoustic. Now you can get a real acoustic guitar as well....;)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My gut feel would be to just get rid of the Epi too.
There's probably no need to get rid of a Sparrow Rat Rod Mega Destroyer. What a cool name! Its probably worthless anyway.
You might get a few quid for the Ibanez. Its in a similar vein to my 70s Washburn Falcon that I got over 300 quid for.

Flogging the Fender acoustic and the Ibanez could generate about a 1000CAD couldn't it?

I've actually tried selling my Ibanez RG a few times. Its been on eBay twice... but its just not worth enough money to both selling it.

Also, if hair metal comes back in in 10 or 15 years I'll be in my 50s... another 25kgs and a pair of leather trousers and I'll look just the part. :guitarhero:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well, no one's opinion on this matters even a little bit ..... keep what you like and get rid of what YOU don't like ....

BUT, a friend of mine once told me to never get rid of any music gear unless it's to get other music gear if it won't sell for much.
He said, "If it's only a few hundred dollars, you'll sell it ..... spend the money ... and then you won't have anything" ...............
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:56 pm How are the G90"s coming along????
:spacepalm: It is on my list of things to do. Stuck Record. I know mutt lol. And i deserve a good wrist slap. No excuses what so ever but it IS in fact on my list of things to do. in the next month. Honest. As you can see i have lofty goals for the next two months :lollers: :k:

I have a pretty decent acoustic now. A middle of the road Taylor 114ce and the Fender doesn't even hold a candle to it. Although the basement has been really unkind to the Taylor and the action on that thing seems to fluctuate more than i think it should. I do not have the necessary tools to make the truss rod adjustment to that guitar. My sockets are too big to fit in the hole / slot to get down over the nut. Kinda sucks. And i am not to proud to admit that i am enough of a pussy that i don't like to death grip my acoustics to play simple chords. Thats BS.
JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:01 pm My gut feel would be to just get rid of the Epi too.
There's probably no need to get rid of a Sparrow Rat Rod Mega Destroyer. What a cool name! Its probably worthless anyway.
You might get a few quid for the Ibanez. Its in a similar vein to my 70s Washburn Falcon that I got over 300 quid for.

Flogging the Fender acoustic and the Ibanez could generate about a 1000CAD couldn't it?

I've actually tried selling my Ibanez RG a few times. Its been on eBay twice... but its just not worth enough money to both selling it.

Also, if hair metal comes back in in 10 or 15 years I'll be in my 50s... another 25kgs and a pair of leather trousers and I'll look just the part. :guitarhero:
:lollers: :lollers: I hope it doesn't make a comeback. I think the Darkness and Dragonforce proved that at this point any Resurrection of that stuff is just gimmick. Thank God.

Yea dude my mind was made up about the Epi but when i took it out and played it was like WTF THIS IS AWESOME.

The Ibanez could get me a few dollars, but it's a family thing if it were to part company with me it has to go to my brother for no money exchange. That's the deal as it was arranged. And on top of that i did some work on it last fall tidied up a bit of wiring, cleaned up and adjusted some electronics pick up heights and it is a pretty remarkable guitar. I dare sya it got more mileage last year than my Gibson. The neck pick up has a three way toggle that i believe let's you switch it back and forth from humbucker to single coil and one other setting i am not to sure of. The middle position. no idea what it does but it sounds cool and when i recorded that last cover song challenge i had a ball with that guitar.

The Sparrow may surprise you. I got it for 250CAD!!! I know for a fact the guy i bought it off of had no clue what he had. He claims ot have been the first and only owner but i could smell the bullshit a mile away. I started digging into it after i got it turns out that 250 barely pays for the hardware. My model in particular was a limited run of about 25 guitars done in collaboration with a "lifestyle" clothing brand called MegaDestroyer. Hence the name. If any store in North America made a particular order of megaDestroyer clothing in excess of XXXX dollars (i can't recall the exact number) they had the option of adding on one of these limited run guitars at a reduced price point to sell as a promotional thing. They retailed for about 950CAD apparently. When i called Anchor Guitars (Previously Sparrow) he told me the story and was shocked that i managed to find one on local classifieds for under 500CAD. He claimed they sold very quickly and none of the retailers were ever stuck with them. Mine was only the third one he ever had heard about after they left his shop. no idea if that is a good or bad thing.

Thats the fun side of the story, the questionable side is that i feel, as a promotional item probably made on some sort of ridiculous deadline, it MAY explain some of the issues i have found with it, i.e the wiring is total garbage, and i have never had real great luck with getting a rock solid intonation job done on it. I quizzed [mention]muttley[/mention] about it in the past and all signs are pointing to the height nut slots being the culprit. I did look and there seems to be quite a big gap between the bottom of the strings and the top of the first fret when you fret any string on 2nd fret. So that needs to also get taken care of.

My admiration for them is that Sparrow has a cult following in the punk / rockabilly / car counter culture thing. Especially in Canada as it was a brand we could call our own. Which back in the early 2000's i was very much into all of that and when i bought the Epi noted this thread my first choice was actually a Sparrow Les Paul knock off, but i couldn't get my hands on one in the bumblefuck part of the country i lived in back then. The shipping put me well over my measly budget.

I suppose i could sell it but really i do like it and i love the SS jumbo frets, the weight of it and the KA pups are pretty bad ass. I've outgrown my need for lame pinstriping on anything but at least on this guitar it is subtle enough it would take a keen eye to spot it.

I think i am just going to sell the acoustic and some odds and ends i got laying around and see what i can get out of it. Clearing out the clutter. :like:

Sorry for the wordy post guys. It's Friday and my give a fuck for work just ins't there.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:19 pm well, no one's opinion on this matters even a little bit ..... keep what you like and get rid of what YOU don't like ....

BUT, a friend of mine once told me to never get rid of any music gear unless it's to get other music gear if it won't sell for much.
He said, "If it's only a few hundred dollars, you'll sell it ..... spend the money ... and then you won't have anything" ...............
yea man for sure. I like them all and i'm keeping them for the foreseeable future. The Fender acoustic can go though. i haven't touched it since i moved into the house in 2014. Someone else may as well enjoy it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

So a Sparrow Rat Rod Mega Destroyer looks like a Les Paul Studio knock off to me. Am I missing something? Sell them all, find a real Gibson LP you like and get on with your life... πŸ‘πŸ˜ƒ
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:20 pm So a Sparrow Rat Rod Mega Destroyer looks like a Les Paul Studio knock off to me. Am I missing something? Sell them all, find a real Gibson LP you like and get on with your life... πŸ‘πŸ˜ƒ
:lollers2: :lollers2: That's totally what it is but it weighs a lot more than any studio i have ever picked up. The weight keeps me grounded. I like that. That and the whole it being Canadian thing is super cool to me. We don't have much in the way to call our own. Godin and Eastwood and a handful of smaller builders. Eastwood definitely being the shining star IMO.

In the end though after looking around today in all honesty if i can't work out the kinks with the Sparrow i may list it on reverb..... but only after i swap the pick ups out of it and put them in the Epi! :like: :like: :happytrees: :happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Don't sell anything unless you really need to.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:01 pm Don't sell anything unless you really need to.
This....X 1,000,000....

Take it from a guy who's been on both ends: selling to fund other gear, & selling in order to survive...

I can tell you honestly I don't regret selling my Les Paul to fund the biggest chunk of the cost of the 2nd Chupacabra amp, not for a second...

But I do regret selling 3-4 amps, a couple pedals & a bunch of non-musical stuff to pay the bills/survive in 2015...I really didn't have a choice at the time, but it still burns my ass when I think about it sometimes...

Keep it all & save up for whatever's next on your list, unless it's unavoidable Shan...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:01 pm Don't sell anything unless you really need to.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Had I followed this simple rule I'd have the baddest git collection on the planet
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:16 am
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Had I followed this simple rule I'd have the baddest git collection on the planet
I'll bet you never had a Sparrow Rat Rod Monster Mash Hardon or whatever [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] calls his though... :eep:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:16 am
Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:16 am ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll bet you never had a Sparrow Rat Rod Monster Mash Hardon or whatever @WhiskeyJack calls his though... :eep:
that is true ....... but now that I know they exist ....
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:16 am
Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:16 am ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll bet you never had a Sparrow Rat Rod Monster Mash Hardon or whatever @WhiskeyJack calls his though... :eep:
Call it anything but a PRS :lollers2:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Because this little Epiphone has rarely ever let me down and i will likely never get rid of it i made a totally useless cosmetic upgrade to make it a bit more mine. It just feels the tiniest bit more badass now. Still sounds the same though haha.

Before...

After....

πŸ˜ƒ

Next mod might be treat it to some new pick ups or even possibly the seymour duncan triple shot pick up rings. I have heard they have really come down in price due to lack of popularity.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's a really nice top.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Well I have currently 19 guitars and my awesome wife said I may as well make it an even 20!

Got a girl I know on facebook that does absolutely stunning black light paintings on guitars so I'm kinda working towards that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm Well I have currently 19 guitars and my awesome wife said I may as well make it an even 20!

Got a girl I know on facebook that does absolutely stunning black light paintings on guitars so I'm kinda working towards that.
Lol nice. I didn't realize how many guitars I have until recently I was talking with a buddy about them. I started listing them out and the list kept going and I surprised even myself. Not bad for a drumber! :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:14 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm Well I have currently 19 guitars and my awesome wife said I may as well make it an even 20!

Lol nice. I didn't realize how many guitars I have until recently I was talking with a buddy about them. I started listing them out and the list kept going and I surprised even myself. Not bad for a drumber! :lollers2:
ummmm .... a number please?