Reverend guitars

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Reverend guitars

Post by Armistice »

Anyone ever played one of them?

https://www.pedalempire.com.au/collecti ... earl-white

This one looks kinda cool, except that the neck just looks like a strat neck where someone's taken a jigsaw to the headstock, but I don't mind the body shape at all. :coolstorybro:

Billy Corgan sig model and I'd have to say that when I think of guitar sounds I like, Smashing Pumpkins don't often feature, although I do like some of their tunes.

Translating the AUD price in the link, that's about the same as a 2017 Gibson SG Standard, or a Fender American Special Tele or Strat... allowing for the usual Aus ripoff pricing.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Reverend guitars

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have looked at reverend guitars fairly regularly. A lot of the models call out to me and i can totally see myself playing some of them, but no one around here has anything i can test drive. A few guitarists i really admire play reverends and they seem to sing pretty high praise of them?

This is of no help to you but i am just chiming in with more useless Shan-input.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've only seen a handful here and there and I've never thought much of them. They might be really good.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I think it is a sign that every time i start gassing for a new guitar i ALWAYS end up looking at Reverends eventually. I think it is a sign. Also a more telling sign is that this model shares the same name as my Uncle. Bob Balch. What are the friggin odds. Even more of a sign is this model is made for the Bob Balch of Fu-manchu fame. One of my favorite of those heavier stonery type bands i like.

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars ... -signature

Some one lend a grand or two
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

when they very first appeared they were just a plank with a metal front and back nailed to it and a neck slapped on .....
I remember laughing at how shitty they were built but they did sound good and play well.

Now they're more modern but just another korean or whatever CNC built guitar.
personally I'm a fan of whereever CNC guitars and that Balch looks very cool
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armi, the link you posted isn't working for me.
I've played on a couple of Reverands when I was in Andertons picking up my H&K.
They were nice enough, similar to the Chapmans I found. Weird thing, I don't really like that many guitars at first. My Crimson has a pretty unusual neck, so most guitars feel a bit Meh to me at first.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:35 am Armi, the link you posted isn't working for me.
I've played on a couple of Reverands when I was in Andertons picking up my H&K.
They were nice enough, similar to the Chapmans I found. Weird thing, I don't really like that many guitars at first. My Crimson has a pretty unusual neck, so most guitars feel a bit Meh to me at first.
It is 3.5 years since I posted it... πŸ˜‰

I expect they've sold it by now.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

haha, didn't realise this was an old thread.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

One of my best IRL buddies got the Bob Balch Reverend in Venetian Gold. Despite my post up thread i had nothing to do with his decision. He had his eyes on Reverend for a while now and it was down to this one and another one with some bells and whistles he'd never use, so he went with this one

Dudes. That is a solid fucking guitar!!!!! I went over last night for the unboxing. And it exceeded my expectations. It got shipped Brand New from the Chicargo Music Exchange and despite the checklist saying it was good to go I do think it needs a bit of another set up. the action does seem a little high on it out of the box but that is something that could have happened while in transit crossing climates?

Solid build. You can feel each note and chord resonate up to your elbow as you are fretting and playing, the finish on it is sharp as shit. Very Very interesting pickups. He tried fiddling with the bass roll off knob but we couldn't hear mucvh out of his little apartment sized practice amp (Blackstar Fly3) so he is going ot come over on the weekend and i am going to turn him loose on the Orange and watch him wet his pants.

His only guitar before this was a hand me down no name pawn shop hollow body and i felt like a dad on Christmas watching him try and play this new big boy guitar. He didn't really put it down and i LITERALLY had to just see my self out hahaha.

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wow that's a cool looking guitar.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:54 pm despite the checklist saying it was good to go I do think it needs a bit of another set up. the action does seem a little high on it out of the box but that is something that could have happened while in transit crossing climates?
maybe .... or maybe it was just set up differently than you like yours.

I would bet big money that if you played any of my guitars you'd go "Man you need a set up ..... it's way too high!"
Nah ..... low action sucks and is also a tone robber. :smiles:

If what you do is mostly chords or if you're strictly a jazz player then low action is great indeed ..... but if your playing has any bending in it the action needs to be higher.
Bending is a major part of my style including while playing chords so a low action doesn't cut it for me plus I hate the way it feels.

To me the idea that a guitar can come from the factory perfectly set up for you is almost impossible.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:21 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:54 pm despite the checklist saying it was good to go I do think it needs a bit of another set up. the action does seem a little high on it out of the box but that is something that could have happened while in transit crossing climates?
If what you do is mostly chords or if you're strictly a jazz player then low action is great indeed .....
See that's me and I hate a low action. Medium to heavy strings and a cheese wire action is my go to. Most of the back line players I know are also on the same page. Low action and light strings are for players that cant pull tone out of the thing and are looking for something other than their chops to blame.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Setup is entirely personal though. There is no one size fits all. Set up is about getting the feel right and making it play in tune, other than that its down to the player.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:42 pm Setup is entirely personal though. There is no one size fits all. Set up is about getting the feel right and making it play in tune, other than that its down to the player.
of course ...... and I don't believe in 'rules' when it comes to music ..... whatever works for you is what works for you.

But, like you, most of the pro players I know use a relatively high action.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I set all my guitars to about 5/64" - 4/64" string height. That's pretty much average. Not low, not high. Just bland vanilla middle ground. I notice if a guitar is too low or too high, and I don't like either. I'm not so fancy that it matters and I could adapt but I don't want to.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:06 pm I set all my guitars to about 5/64" - 4/64" string height. That's pretty much average. Not low, not high. Just bland vanilla middle ground. I notice if a guitar is too low or too high, and I don't like either. I'm not so fancy that it matters and I could adapt but I don't want to.
I actually don't measure but maybe I'll measure one of mine tonight just to see. You mean at the 12th fret?

But I basically set the high E string to where it feels right to me and then have each successive string getting a little bit higher, following the arch of the fret board of course, and then I'll tinker with it for a while tweaking things in tiny increments until it's where I'm happy with it.
Different guitars seem to require slightly different set ups so I just go with how it feels.
But on all of them I have the strings progressively higher from 1st to 6th .... never the same height.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:29 pm I actually don't measure but maybe I'll measure one of mine tonight just to see. You mean at the 12th fret?
No I do it at like the 15th fret. I don't know if that's right but that's how I've always done it. So my 4/64" might be different for someone else measuring at a different fret. That's just how I do it.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:42 pm Setup is entirely personal though.
Hence, why it was agreed on by both myself and my friend a change was needed. It wasn't 100% comfortable to my fingers (not that it matters at all in this case, it ain't mine) and it was higher than his shitty pawn shop hollow body that he was used to he had me set for him in the spring.

I wasn't at all suggesting that it was wrong. Or that this actions is wrong and that action is right or whatever. It needed a set up to get it comfy for him.

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:21 pm I would bet big money that if you played any of my guitars you'd go "Man you need a set up ..... it's way too high!"
Nah ..... low action sucks and is also a tone robber. :smiles:
You'd win that bet because i find high action crappy. It's not wrong and power to anyone to play however they like. High action doesn't work for me. It makes me sound shittier and sloppier given how i play in general.

About the tone, you are right and i noticed that big time on my telecaster for some reason more than any of my other guits. At first i thought it was just cheap Chinese offshore shitty electronics (it probably still is to a degree) and my first inclination was email mutt to make me some new ones . As soon as i remembered I could lower my pick ups it was like a whole new guitar. It just came to life. I had no formula for that either. I googled an "industry standard" pup height of course and started there but it was never quite right. I just adjusted it till it sound good and not shitty. I think if i recall on my bridge i went just a prick lower on the treble sides of each pup and 1/4 turn higher on the bass side of pups. respectively. It still may not be paramount jizz worthy tone, but it's better than what it was. Pup height helps a bit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:05 pm Pup height helps a bit.
Yeah and so do the pole pieces. You can really fine tune by adjusting the pole pieces...if they're adjustable.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:11 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:05 pm Pup height helps a bit.
Yeah and so do the pole pieces. You can really fine tune by adjusting the pole pieces...if they're adjustable.
I've not gone down that rabbit hole yet.