Reverend guitars

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Reverend guitars

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:17 pm

I've not gone down that rabbit hole yet.
When you get the pickup height where you like it, you can fine tune individual string clarity and output with the pole pieces. It's a go-by-ear thing. I usually end up turning the D and G pole pieces out some to match the radius of the bridge.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

The base level of distortion you play with will drive your choices with action a bit as well. I'm more a clean to mild-break-up guy, so having a normal action works best for me. Nothing I hate worse than fret buzz...

Does mean, because I don't play all the time these days, when I'm inventing a ripping solo, it takes me a while to get the fingers to fully co-operate. :lollers:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:58 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:29 pm I actually don't measure but maybe I'll measure one of mine tonight just to see. You mean at the 12th fret?
No I do it at like the 15th fret. I don't know if that's right but that's how I've always done it. So my 4/64" might be different for someone else measuring at a different fret. That's just how I do it.
ok .... well it'll be interesting to compare .... so that's where I'll measure it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:11 pm

Yeah and so do the pole pieces. You can really fine tune by adjusting the pole pieces...if they're adjustable.
Pole pieces are not adjustable on a Telecaster. You can use different pole pieces when winding both in terms of strength and height. You can also use staggered sets where some pole pieces are higher than others. It makes a small but perceptible difference. Gerg is referring to pole pieces typically found on buckers and p90 which are adjustable. Be careful with the p90 ones as they are threaded through maple or soft plastic and are easy to strip.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:13 am

Pole pieces are not adjustable on a Telecaster. You can use different pole pieces when winding both in terms of strength and height. You can also use staggered sets where some pole pieces are higher than others. It makes a small but perceptible difference. Gerg is referring to pole pieces typically found on buckers and p90 which are adjustable. Be careful with the p90 ones as they are threaded through maple or soft plastic and are easy to strip.
Cheers Mutt. I don't know for how much i play and what i do i will ever go chasing tone that far. way way way back one of my buddies tried adjusting his on his humbuckers and made a right mess of things. I am content entirely with just doing the P'up height adjustments. Get's me to where my ears are happy. :like: :like:
:happytrees: