Sometimes I wonder about engineers

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
rayc

Sometimes I wonder about engineers

Post by rayc »

I was working with some BIAB drums yesterday.
A fellow had created an instrumental song and the drums sounded wrong for the mix becasue it had a clicky bass drum.
I mentioned it and he asked me to have a look & listen to the drums to see if I could fix the problem.
I've addressed clicky kicks in BIAB before - as it now seems to be the default sound when they record kits.
To my surprise the kick wasn't particularly clicky when isolated.
It sounded clicky in the mix but I assume that was due to masking and overlapping of other instruments as the click isn't too bad in the stereo file.
Take a listen
Wedding Song - 8 Jan BBDrums2.mp3
Is that the kick ringing on or the toms in sympathy? I can't tell but I'm stunned that they recorded the kit with that much overtone.
I THINK it's the toms becasue it's mostly in the left ear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: Sometimes I wonder about engineers

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:47 pm I was working with some BIAB drums yesterday.
A fellow had created an instrumental song and the drums sounded wrong for the mix becasue it had a clicky bass drum.
I mentioned it and he asked me to have a look & listen to the drums to see if I could fix the problem.
I've addressed clicky kicks in BIAB before - as it now seems to be the default sound when they record kits.
To my surprise the kick wasn't particularly clicky when isolated.
It sounded clicky in the mix but I assume that was due to masking and overlapping of other instruments as the click isn't too bad in the stereo file.
Take a listen

Wedding Song - 8 Jan BBDrums2.mp3

Is that the kick ringing on or the toms in sympathy? I can't tell but I'm stunned that they recorded the kit with that much overtone.
I THINK it's the toms becasue it's mostly in the left ear.
That sounds like a floor tom ringing to me. Perfectly normal.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:32 am That sounds like a floor tom ringing to me. Perfectly normal.
THAT loud though Greg?
I was fiddling with the mix of Sewer Song that you played on almost a decade ago and the toms don't ring much if at all - now you may have gated them - i don't know but the ringing on this BIAB track made it hard to use in a mix.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:15 am
THAT loud though Greg?
I was fiddling with the mix of Sewer Song that you played on almost a decade ago and the toms don't ring much if at all - now you may have gated them - i don't know but the ringing on this BIAB track made it hard to use in a mix.
They can ring a lot. It just depends on how they're tuned. I sometimes have to moongel my floor toms live because they ring too much with all that's going on and the soundguy can't gate them without cutting them off.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I raised this problem in the BIAB users forum. It seems those who hear/find the problem end up using easy drummer or something similar and those who don't simply don't.
Cheers
rayc