Raw vs Mixed

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

Raw vs Mixed

Post by liv_rong »

I am working on a project and was kind of struck by how different the raw tracks sounds versus how the mixed tracks sound with minimal work. Not looking for mix comments necessarily, so that's why I put this in the drums section. And I guess it will all make sense anyways once its completed and posted in the Lets Have a Listen section. This is just a snippet of the whole take. I would recommend listening to whole clip because there is a pretty large (in my opinion) dynamic shift for a section here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Re: Raw vs Mixed

Post by rayc »

Yeah, small changes knock on to bigger ones - what's the pinging sound? Is it part of the bell attack?
Cheers
rayc
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:14 pm Yeah, small changes knock on to bigger ones - what's the pinging sound? Is it part of the bell attack?
Possibly. I am hitting the bell on the ride with the tip of the stick for accents, instead of side sticking. But maybe my snare?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah that's a real high pingy overtone from the ride bell.

Sounds pretty cool. I think you need to work on your snare tuning or how you're miking it. It's kind of donky, not enough snap. Try to get more snare wire action and/or miking the bottom too.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:35 am I think you need to work on your snare tuning or how you're miking it. It's kind of donky, not enough snap. Try to get more snare wire action and/or miking the bottom too.
Yeah, this has been my biggest shortfall IMO with drum recording/mixing. After doing that last song I relaized that maybe the material of the drum has something to do with it. On that particular song I was hitting pretty hard, a lot harder than usual and the drum seemed to sing a little better(mixed version attached). You can hear for most of the hits it has a nice ping and overtone which I like, not all my hits are consistent, but Im not a machine lol!

The drum is stave constructed in birdseye maple and purple heart wood. I have been fucking with it for like 3.5 years. I could be a complete idiot though which is a distinct possibility.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:44 am

Yeah, this has been my biggest shortfall IMO with drum recording/mixing. After doing that last song I relaized that maybe the material of the drum has something to do with it. On that particular song I was hitting pretty hard, a lot harder than usual and the drum seemed to sing a little better(mixed version attached). You can hear for most of the hits it has a nice ping and overtone which I like, not all my hits are consistent, but Im not a machine lol!

The drum is stave constructed in birdseye maple and purple heart wood. I have been fucking with it for like 3.5 years. I could be a complete idiot though which is a distinct possibility.
Yup, if you didn't say it already, I'd guess just from the sound that's a maple snare. It's got a woody ring and resonance that screams maple. For me, that's why I prefer metal snare drums. Steel, brass, alloy, copper, whatever. Metal. For more aggressive music, I find they punch better and take a wider range of tunings....but they're not as "musical" as wood snares.
Rebel Yell