Shan's Lefty Righty Tele Build.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Shan's Lefty Righty Tele Build.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:18 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:07 pm

It is a little bit of both actually. I noticed when i started sanding the neck down some of the frets aren't seated in there as correctly as they should be and resting right up on the finger board. The angle of my shop lights do make it look worse than it is as the gap from the bottom of the fretwire to the board as most of the gaps are sub-millimeter but still will need work. My plan is use one of my wide rubber toothed clamps and see if i can squish them down in there maybe. The frets all around need work. leveling and dressing the ends etc but i am not going to do that if i can't address the little gaps.

I feel like that is all stuff i should have done first but for some reason the "instruction book" i got from the manufacturer has all the fret stuff in order after the sanding and finishing. :confused: Which doesn't make sense to me if i have to clamp it down or put it in a vice to do all that stuff???
I don't fuck with frets, but I do know you can't do a damn thing with them unless they are SEATED into their slots. That's first, foremost, #1, gotta do it. There's no point in leveling and crowning frets that aren't even installed properly.
100%! I am not going to do the prettying up anything if i can't get them put in their home correctly. My spidey sense is telling me i may end up looking at warmoth or something like that for a new neck or something by the end of the week. :frown: When i run out at lunch to check on something else i got going on i'll snap a picture of the worst offender of the fret gaps.

I also feel pretty confident that where this thing has sat around in my basement since 2016 and the winter summer seasonal chnages they may have worked themselves out having never once been played or anything in that time? Again, reason number two why i may just order a neck from warmoth if i can't address those small gaps.

I can't help but wonder if that is why they said to do all the sanding and shit first because a person (with an eyeball) will see stuff like that and can address it afterwards? Kind of like a more hands on in depth inspection maybe?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:40 pm

100%! I am not going to do the prettying up anything if i can't get them put in their home correctly. My spidey sense is telling me i may end up looking at warmoth or something like that for a new neck or something by the end of the week. :frown: When i run out at lunch to check on something else i got going on i'll snap a picture of the worst offender of the fret gaps.

I also feel pretty confident that where this thing has sat around in my basement since 2016 and the winter summer seasonal chnages they may have worked themselves out having never once been played or anything in that time? Again, reason number two why i may just order a neck from warmoth if i can't address those small gaps.

I can't help but wonder if that is why they said to do all the sanding and shit first because a person (with an eyeball) will see stuff like that and can address it afterwards? Kind of like a more hands on in depth inspection maybe?
I suspect they probably weren't put in all that great and like you mentioned, years of no handling through temp and humidity changes doesn't help.

You can certainly try to seat them though. Very light taps from a soft hammer will do it. Put something between the hammer and fret like a piece of leather or something.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention]

That's the worst of them right there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm @Greg_L

Zoiks!

Tap that ho down.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:07 pm Thanks @Greg_L @rayc and @JD01

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:45 am Now about those frets...are they popping up out of the fretboard? :eep:
Or is that just a shadow/angle illusion?
It is a little bit of both actually. I noticed when i started sanding the neck down some of the frets aren't seated in there as correctly as they should be and resting right up on the finger board. The angle of my shop lights do make it look worse than it is as the gap from the bottom of the fretwire to the board as most of the gaps are sub-millimeter but still will need work. My plan is use one of my wide rubber toothed clamps and see if i can squish them down in there maybe. The frets all around need work. leveling and dressing the ends etc but i am not going to do that if i can't address the little gaps.

I feel like that is all stuff i should have done first but for some reason the "instruction book" i got from the manufacturer has all the fret stuff in order after the sanding and finishing. :confused: Which doesn't make sense to me if i have to clamp it down or put it in a vice to do all that stuff???
Little gaps under the bead is not uncommon. As long as the frets are not loose and dont move when you press on them dont touch them.

Fret wire is made by the mile and the tang is often off, take a look at both sides and see if the gap is even? I'm willing to bet that often it isnt and there will be little or no gap the other side.

If you start clamping them down you will need to re-dress the whole board and that aint a beginner job.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:28 pm @Greg_L

Zoiks!

Tap that ho down.
That is almost certainly where the board has dried out. If those are the only two then you can re-seat them. Wick in some thin CA first. As they are up the dusty end of the fretboard you may not have to do too much dressing.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Got the sanding sorted. Glad i went back and decided to start the sanding over for sure. Way happier with this for the end grain. Before and after.

Start the finish on the body now and get those frets sorted out on the neck. ImageImage
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah nice. Fix those frets!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:04 pm Yeah nice. Fix those frets!
Word. I gotta get some ca glue and one of the pipette wicky things. Also locate my little tenting hammer. I saw this same hammer my grandfather gave listedon stewmac for just this very thing. Who knew. When i find it ill pist it up too.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Okee dokee.

Well the tint is on the back and sides of the body. This has been a great learning thing. I thought i did a better sanding job on the sides given the fact i went back twice now to clean up imperfections but clearly that wasnt enough. it could have definitely been better. I also learned who ever put the binding on this was a sloppy mofo Image As you will see in the photos there are very obvious areas where the glue ran and went unseen by me while sanding. Ive no odea how the fuck i missed it but i did. All over but rhe crying now. The tint did not take in those spots. I thought i had done a fantastic job but guess not. Those little shitstains will be staring me in the face for years to come. Although not really. They are sort in odd ball places most folks won't see i suppose. I dont gig. No one will want this when im done with it. So who cares right. Image I think maybe had i started it from scratch things would very likely be different. But yea. I have to remind myself, this is a <200CAD offshore import guitar kit.

Anyways as for the neck i am testing out some truoil and tung oil on a piece of scrap maple to see which way ill go for the back of the neck finish. I decided last minute i wasmt goimg to tint or paint the back. All my other fender products have a nice satin finish on a maple neck and i quite lile that so im gonna do that.

Also really cool! I Found a little hammer perfect for the frets in a box of MY grandfathers old tools. it looks like the hammer i watched some youtube dude use to do the exact same thing i have to do. It has rubber tips on the whackimg surfaces and very weighted in the middle of the head. Pretty cool. Thanks Cyril!!! I picked up some ca glue and im going to practice my wicking skills somehow on something. I think the gaps in these things are just so small its going to be a huge pain in the ass. I'm worried im going to glue my clamps to the finger board haha but we shall see. Fuck it. Whatever at this point.

Also i have changed my mind for the color on the top again ahaha. If i can track it down? Im back into the blue spectrum again. Image i think it'll look way cooler.

ImageImageImageImage
rayc

Post by rayc »

GREAT work, cool story and the binding glue marks are just scars you learn by.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Looks really nice WJ. I think that's a top colour stain for a guitar. 👍

I'm a bit worried about your fucking slippers though... 😉
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I really like the back. You know I'm not a wood person, I say just paint the motherfucker, but I like what you ended up with. It has a "reclaimed wood" kind of look to it and I think it's pretty cool. I wouldn't worry about the minor imperfections. Just play that thing.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention]

I really like the finish there on the back and sides. Like Gerg said, the reclaimed look is cool.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

[mention]muttley[/mention]

I have tested a few finishes for the maple neck and from what i can see with my eyes, Tung oil is going to get me pretty darn close to the satin finish i like. It feels roughly the same as my pbass and dumpstercaster and has the same visual appearance. The gunstock oil i got builds up really nice but is far too glossy for my liking. That might be nice on the top part of the headstock. And the satin watco laqueur is not at all what i want for on a neck.

In your experience is there any reason at all i shouldnt use tung oil? Ive read some others thoughts else where but i am curious what you think.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tung on the left, truoil on the right. Image
muttley

Post by muttley »

You missed the marks on the binding area because you cant see it when its in the white. I am willing to bet it is on mostly end grain cos thats glue that has gotten in the wood cell capillary and you aint getting it out no matter how hard you try. Binding needs to be done extremely cleanly.

On the finish for the neck. Tru oil or Tung oil are good. Tru oil is harder wearing and my preferred neck finish as it gives a great slick finish. Dont be deceived by the slightly matt appearance. That is going to buff up when you play it. so go with whats easier for you.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:25 am You missed the marks on the binding area because you cant see it when its in the white. I am willing to bet it is on mostly end grain cos thats glue that has gotten in the wood cell capillary and you aint getting it out no matter how hard you try. Binding needs to be done extremely cleanly.

On the finish for the neck. Tru oil or Tung oil are good. Tru oil is harder wearing and my preferred neck finish as it gives a great slick finish. Dont be deceived by the slightly matt appearance. That is going to buff up when you play it. so go with whats easier for you.
Makes sense about the glue getting into the grain like that. Im over that dissapointment now and and at peace with its hideousness. moving on lol.

I am ok with the matt finish. Thats what i am after. If it sheens up over time thats fine. May for fun throw a few more coats of the tung oil on the test peice just to see what it does / looks like while i get the first bit of finish on the neck itself.

Thank you mutt sir.
muttley

Post by muttley »

The advantage of Tru oil over tung oil for me is that it is harder and dries quicker. It is also pretty much safe under most anything else if you want to go over it. You can always dull off any sheen with a little 0000 wire wool and/or reapply more coats anytime you want.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Getting there!
You have much more patience than I Gunga Din!
I would have had that thing all fucked up in a couple days.
Keep up the good work!