Pickup problem

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

Bill L

Pickup problem

Post by Bill L »

So on my 1991 Les Paul Custom one of the pickups has become microphonic. I'm not really sure when it happened but I noticed it a week or so ago. Any ideas how I should proceed, [mention]muttley[/mention] ? I'm assuming I need to replace the pickup but I'm not sure. Assuming I have to replace it, would I be able to use the existing cover or does the whole thing have to go? Thanks for all of your help on this stuff.
Greg_L

Re: Pickup problem

Post by Greg_L »

You can try potting it yourself if you're feeling adventurous.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

A microphonic response means something in the coils is vibrating when it shouldn't. Traditionally you would wax pot the pickup to fix it.

You can send it to me to pot but there is no guarantee it will fix it without having to take the thing apart which can be costly. A rewind would then be a better option.

A new pickup is also an option and yes you can reuse the existing cover. You can pretty much reuse everything on the pickup by having it rewound.

Re winding can be more expensive than a new pickup but is preferable if you want to keep the thing original.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

muttley wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:18 am A microphonic response means something in the coils is vibrating when it shouldn't. Traditionally you would wax pot the pickup to fix it.

You can send it to me to pot but there is no guarantee it will fix it without having to take the thing apart which can be costly. A rewind would then be a better option.

A new pickup is also an option and yes you can reuse the existing cover. You can pretty much reuse everything on the pickup by having it rewound.

Re winding can be more expensive than a new pickup but is preferable if you want to keep the thing original.
As luck would have it, my brother is home for Christmas and heads back to London in a week or so. I'm going to try to have the pick up removed and I'll give it to him. He can send it to you and you can take a look at. Whatever happens, you can send the original back with the Epiphone set you'll be working up. And if I can piggy back the order with a Tele set and a Strat, I will. Thanks for your help on this stuff.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:25 pm You can try potting it yourself if you're feeling adventurous.
At some point I plan on being adventurous enough. As of right now, not a chance.

:lollers2: :yeabuddy:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:50 am
muttley wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:18 am A microphonic response means something in the coils is vibrating when it shouldn't. Traditionally you would wax pot the pickup to fix it.

As luck would have it, my brother is home for Christmas and heads back to London in a week or so. I'm going to try to have the pick up removed and I'll give it to him. He can send it to you and you can take a look at. Whatever happens, you can send the original back with the Epiphone set you'll be working up. And if I can piggy back the order with a Tele set and a Strat, I will. Thanks for your help on this stuff.
No problem mate, just let me know what you want me to do. My life is crazy right now with a major house project, hence no reply for day or so, but if you want me to meet up with him for a hand over I can do that maybe, its all good. If he is around the London area I can maybe hook up with him... PM me, we can sort this out. If not he can send it to me and we will take it from there....