Looking for some replacement pups

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

Lt. Bob

Re: Looking for some replacement pups

Post by Lt. Bob »

ok muttley ..... here's a challenge that I don't think you can do.

One of the dozens of guitars i wish I had back was a fender Starcaster ..... man that thing sounded glorious!
Just a beautiful sounding ax ..... can't imagine why i got rid of it ...... prolly snorted it up.

Anways ..... those original wide-range p'ups.
My understanding is that part of the magic were those magnetized pole pieces.
Apparently it' hard to magnetize a pole piece and then thread it.
Or perhaps they were some sort of special material.

I've always kinda wondered about putting some of those in one of my gits IF it would actually be what I had before.

What's the deal with the old real wide-ranges?
I know they're slightly larger than a normal 'bucker too.
muttley

Re: Looking for some replacement pups

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 am ok muttley ..... here's a challenge that I don't think you can do.

One of the dozens of guitars i wish I had back was a fender Starcaster ..... man that thing sounded glorious!
Just a beautiful sounding ax ..... can't imagine why i got rid of it ...... prolly snorted it up.

Anways ..... those original wide-range p'ups.
My understanding is that part of the magic were those magnetized pole pieces.
Apparently it' hard to magnetize a pole piece and then thread it.
Or perhaps they were some sort of special material.

I've always kinda wondered about putting some of those in one of my gits IF it would actually be what I had before.

What's the deal with the old real wide-ranges?
I know they're slightly larger than a normal 'bucker too.
I have done wide range pups with some success. Again there is huge variation in them if you look at the originals. Many recon the subtle USP of the wide range pups was the NiCu/iron alloy used for the poles but I aint so sure. For me it is more about the bobbins and the poly wire and the wind. Right now getting hold of the pole screws might be an issue as supply lines to China have been problematic to say the least with Covid and now we also have to factor in our wonderful Trump/Boris shenanigans. I would have to look into it..

Yeh, the footprint is slightly different but there are parts available that allow me to make a wide range for a humbucker route or vice versa. The poles are a larger M5 and that will I think affect the tone more than the alloy.