Guitard maintenance

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Guitard maintenance

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:19 am As far as I can tell, the cheapest way of getting a LP Jr doublecut is the Greenday signature model... which would just feel all wrong.
I'd play one. I've seen many of them. I don't care that Green Day is lame. It's a double-cut LP Jr. I'd just take the stacked P-90 out of it and replace it with a proper P-90.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:30 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:19 am As far as I can tell, the cheapest way of getting a LP Jr doublecut is the Greenday signature model... which would just feel all wrong.
I'd play one. I've seen many of them. I don't care that Green Day is lame. It's a double-cut LP Jr. I'd just take the stacked P-90 out of it and replace it with a proper P-90.
Apparently its got a more modern thinner neck too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 am

I'm fine with that too. I like the Gibson "60s necks".

I won't be buying one though. Unless the right deal just falls into my lap, I'd really like to build one of those.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:49 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 am

I'm fine with that too. I like the Gibson "60s necks".

I won't be buying one though. Unless the right deal just falls into my lap, I'd really like to build one of those.
I like the thinner neck too - I don't know what neck was on the 2001 re-issues. I'm still a bit pissed off about missing that 2001 TV Yellow before Christmas but I just didn't have any money with the wedding/honeymoon.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 am

I like the thinner neck too - I don't know what neck was on the 2001 re-issues. I'm still a bit pissed off about missing that 2001 TV Yellow before Christmas but I just didn't have any money with the wedding/honeymoon.
The original LP Jrs had massive necks. Big baseball bats sawed in half. I expect any serious reissue would be the same. The Custom Shop Jrs have big necks.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I did the fret cleaning once and the got the same thing. Had no idea how filthy they were. Now i just make it a point to do all my guitars at every string change. I also apply a small amount of that nutsauce stuff to my g string slots on the nut as well each string change and it seems to have helped on my Lp Jr, Epi LP, and Sparrow. For some reason my lawsuit Ibanez isn't plagued with that persistent g string issue most LP's have.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:50 am For some reason my lawsuit Ibanez isn't plagued with that persistent g string issue most LP's have.
How old is it? My 78 Custom doesn't have that problem either. I assume just the age has allowed the nut grooves to really be right.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I haven't pinpointed an exact date yet it's safe to assume it is a 79 or maybe even an 80 but here are some older pics of mine and a link to a write up i found on them a while ago.

This is the guitar i used in the lastest tones i posted in the tone thread the other day.

A link for general reference.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very cool! Yeah I'd guess that's very late 70s. The earlier "lawsuit" guitars even had Gibson shaped headstocks - hence the lawsuit. I think the last of those was 76-77, so yours would be after that.

Awesome guitar. I didn't know you had one of those gems of guitar history.
Rebel Yell