My monitors just died

DIY Studio Stuff
Tadpui

Re: My monitors just died

Post by Tadpui »

Well that sucks, [mention]JD01[/mention] ! Maybe they've just taken the day off. I've seriously had electronics do that before. Unlikely, but you never know :)

The good news is that if you do need new monitors, it's a great time to be shopping for them. The likes of Kali, PreSonus and JBL have kind of redefined the low end of the budget for studio monitors in the last year or so. There are some seriously capable monitors on the market for prices that used to be unheard of.

Or you could take out a second mortgage on the house and buy a pair of Barefoot monitors or something :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Never a better time. #christmassales.

Weren't they on your list for upgrading anyway this year? Looks like they just jumped to the top. What are they, BTW? Presume you've googled to see if it's a common problem with that make/model?
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Bummer! I hope mine never die. I have had them for like 11 years and they were already a few years old/used when I got them!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

They're not even that old.
They are Fender branded Focals. I'll do some googling.

But any recommendations for reasonably priced monitors would be great.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

if you heard a pop/click then it may be a fusible link .... a pop is basically some component exploding, so if you open them up the part that went may be visible
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Sorry to hear JD. I think what Lt. Bob has noted about the fusible link stands to reason. But i am def no expert. Luckily for you tis the season of great deals to be had. if you go looking i hope you find a good price on a replacement / upgrade.

Shame how disposable our world has become.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, it won't stop me recording over the Christmas break and I'm in Ireland for most of that time anyway. Won't be able to finalise any mixes though.

I'll take them apart and have a good poke about see if I can spot any obvious fuck ups. If not. January sale shopping for me.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

A mate of mine from uni (clever person who can use a multi-meter and soldering iron) is going to take a look at these over the next month or so for me and tell me if they're economically fixable. He fixes electronic shit all the time... (we'll his MSc. and PhD were in electronics) and he does R&D for an electronics company.

After discussing it with him - he says that sudden death type failures are normally easy to find and fix. Although if they are truly dead, he can easily turn them into a pair of passive monitors that I can just get an amp for.

I'm in Ireland for 10 days over Christmas and then in Austria for 7 days in January so its not like I'm gonna be finalising any mixes. I'm really looking forward to writing some new songs in Ireland.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:43 am A mate of mine from uni (clever person who can use a multi-meter and soldering iron) is going to take a look at these over the next month or so for me and tell me if they're economically fixable. He fixes electronic shit all the time... (we'll his MSc. and PhD were in electronics) and he does R&D for an electronics company.

After discussing it with him - he says that sudden death type failures are normally easy to find and fix. Although if they are truly dead, he can easily turn them into a pair of passive monitors that I can just get an amp for.

I'm in Ireland for 10 days over Christmas and then in Austria for 7 days in January so its not like I'm gonna be finalising any mixes. I'm really looking forward to writing some new songs in Ireland.
That sounds like a busy holiday season man but at least you are going to get some travelling in. And your monitors can get looked at in the mean time. That is pretty awesome.

All JD's Songs he writes in Ireland will end up like this.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr46RJs0ixE[/BBvideo]
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Update. Just spoke to the tech. My monitors are truly dead.
Whatever is blown is an internal sealed component and he can't get a response from Fender about a replacement.
I'm gonna have to shop for monitors at some point soon.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 am Update. Just spoke to the tech. My monitors are truly dead.
Whatever is blown is an internal sealed component and he can't get a response from Fender about a replacement.
Well that sucks. Who actually makes those "Fender" monitors?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 am Update. Just spoke to the tech. My monitors are truly dead.
That's the annoying thing. They're fender branded Focal!

I expected better!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35 am

I expected better!
Man these days you can't expect quality from anyone.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35 am
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am

I expected better!
try contacting Focal
muttley

Post by muttley »

I have just had exactly the same problem with my main Subwoofer in my Surround setup and I am still trying to trouble shoot it. I really hate active speakers mainly because when they crap out its a pain in the arse. With passive you can pretty much nail it down to the power supply in the amp or a simple problem with the pre amp.

If you look to go passive I can not recommend Monitor Audio enough and you can get the Radius 90's pretty cheap on ebay. Bullet proof and awesomely accurate sound. Dont be deceived by the small footprint, they are perfect for studio monitors.