Marshall 1960A 4x12 facelift

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Greg_L

Re: Marshall 1960A 4x12 facelift

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:58 pm Greg, this is a proper job. I doubt that even Marshall constructors could have stretched that grille cloth so perfectly. Take a bow.
Thanks! It sure takes a lot of staples! :sherlock: :lollers2: :headwall:
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

You did a great job! The checker grill cloth is my favorite. It's too bad that nobody makes the small check cloth anymore.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Did you consider going for a custom Saints cloth, Greg?
I've seen them done for UK football teams, don't know if theyre available in the USA
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:36 am You did a great job! The checker grill cloth is my favorite. It's too bad that nobody makes the small check cloth anymore.
Thanks. :coolstorybro:
JD01 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:12 pm Did you consider going for a custom Saints cloth, Greg?
I've seen them done for UK football teams, don't know if theyre available in the USA
Ha, no, never considered it. I love my college and pro football teams, but never really got into emblazoning their logos all over my stuff. T-shirts are enough for me.

I am considering a Saints colored guitar though....
mondata_3fec7305-3f6d-4f02-a773-52020cbaf239_1024x1024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's a fucking cool guitar.
What is it? If they did a semi hollow version I think I'd give a bollock to own it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:45 pm That's a fucking cool guitar.
What is it? If they did a semi hollow version I think I'd give a bollock to own it.
It's a Rivolta Mondata XVIII, or something like that. I think they're Asian-made designs of that Fano guy. They're like his Epiphone. They're sold through Eastwood guitars. I think it looks cool as shit. I have no idea how it plays or sounds, but I'd bet it's fine for my ideas with it. It's pretty heavily chambered from what I understand, so it's probably got that semi-hollow sound to a degree.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

If you throw a Bigsby on anything it'll look great - that guitar is cool looking...
This bit's interesting - he goes through various pedals etc...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/0vAwhQSg1wk?t=381[/BBvideo]
BUT this one - after the blues stuffing around (jump to 4.20)- REALLY chimes
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/Nb9Bluo3KFA?t=268[/BBvideo]
CCCCCOOOOOOLLLL
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yup, it's a cool guitar. I was gonna get another Hallmark Mosrite clone....but then I found the Rivolta. It ticks a lot of boxes....offset Firebird-ish shape, mini-hums, Bigsby, binding, big inlays. Cool looking guitar. All things I like.

The cons are it's kind of expensive, they're fairly impossible to find in person, and it doesn't even come with a case!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, they're 1200 quid! Lot of money to buy unseen.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Sharp looking guitar. The headstocks are really nice on those Mondatas. That would be quite the addition to your guit family. I had my eye on a couple rivoltas a couple years ago. Really nice looking guitars. Never held one though. If it is anything like the eastwood stuff i have tried it probably is a pretty solid guitar.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:36 pm Sharp looking guitar. The headstocks are really nice on those Mondatas. That would be quite the addition to your guit family. I had my eye on a couple rivoltas a couple years ago. Really nice looking guitars. Never held one though. If it is anything like the eastwood stuff i have tried it probably is a pretty solid guitar.
They got me intrigued, for sure.

I don't understand how they don't come with a fucking case though. "Premium gig bag sold separately". Lol. WTF kind of dumb shit is that? $1400 for a guitar with no case?
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

[mention]JD01[/mention] [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] [mention]rayc[/mention]

I finally got my hands on one of those Rivolta Mondatas. There's one small shop about an hour away from me that has one Rivolta guitar. So I went. That thing is niiiiiice. Real nice. It has every bit the look and feel of a big dollar boutique thing. The one I played did not have the Bigsby, but it was the three-pickup model like the one pictured above. Very light guitar. The chambered mahogany body is super light and very resonant. It sounds like a semi-hollow. The pickups are bright and spanky, just the way I like them. Both clean and overdriven tones sounded great. I played it through a Fender Twin and a Marshall DSL. Sounded great. The neck is fairly chunky and the setup was crazy good on the one I handled.

My only nits are the 24 frets...the last two are virtually unusable, which is fine. I aint going up there anyway. The middle pickup is right in the fucking way of where I do my business. I can adapt, but I banged into it a lot. I don't foresee going through all the series parallel wongo switching options this thing has, so maybe I could just crank that pickup down into the guitar and not worry about it.

So yeah, it's on my list. One will be in Casa Greg soon.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That sounds awesome [mention]Greg_L[/mention] !! Great review. I didnt think there would be too much wrong with them. You cant find too many reviews and of those reviews i dont think i read any bad ones. Ever. This is further to that.

One thought on the pick up thing is possibly having a custom bullshit guard made. Then you could take the middle one out perhaps and just have the two?! Nit sure how the wiring would work and how hard ot would be to find matching material for the pick guarding?! An option none the less.

Be cool to see some one get 9ne of these.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:09 pm That sounds awesome @Greg_L !! Great review. I didnt think there would be too much wrong with them. You cant find too many reviews and of those reviews i dont think i read any bad ones. Ever. This is further to that.

One thought on the pick up thing is possibly having a custom bullshit guard made. Then you could take the middle one out perhaps and just have the two?! Nit sure how the wiring would work and how hard ot would be to find matching material for the pick guarding?! An option none the less.

Oh I'm getting one!

The custom pickguard idea would be tough. The middle section of the guitar is raised...like a Firebird. In fact the whole guitar kind of feels like a Firebird. The two pickguards just cover the wing sections. They can't really bridge across the middle. It would need a third piece. I think I could A) just get over it, B) screw the middle pickup down flush with the mounting ring, or C) just get over it. Lol. Also, I only played it sitting down. While standing the middle pickup might not be a problem at all. I do pick differently when standing.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:22 pm
Greg_L wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:35 am Come on, it's good for your forearms! :coolstorybro:
I used a standard spring-loaded squeeze-and-fire staple gun. I'm sure you can find an electric or pneumatic staple gun though.
I have an excellent heavy, chromed or stainless steel monster. It's great.
It's the tedious removal of the existing staples that caused me to drag my knuckles: stab n lift, stab n lift ad nauseum. I'll get it done but I bore easily.
just put on some music you like ..... take a toke ..... any mindless job flies by!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:15 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:09 pm That sounds awesome @Greg_L !! Great review. I didnt think there would be too much wrong with them. You cant find too many reviews and of those reviews i dont think i read any bad ones. Ever. This is further to that.

Oh I'm getting one!

The custom pickguard idea would be tough. The middle section of the guitar is raised...like a Firebird. In fact the whole guitar kind of feels like a Firebird. The two pickguards just cover the wing sections. They can't really bridge across the middle. It would need a third piece. I think I could A) just get over it, B) screw the middle pickup down flush with the mounting ring, or C) just get over it. Lol. Also, I only played it sitting down. While standing the middle pickup might not be a problem at all. I do pick differently when standing.
I think those options sound like the easiest to go about. So are you going to get the one you played or going to shop around a bit?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:59 pm

I think those options sound like the easiest to go about. So are you going to get the one you played or going to shop around a bit?
No I'm not getting that one. It was a sunburst and had no Bigsby. I want the one in the pic a few posts up above.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's awesome, Greg. Does it come with matching divorce agreement?

Fairly unusual to see you get excited about a guitar like that, must have been a beauty!

I'll be really interested to see what results you get with it.

1200 quid is fine if it really is a top guitar. Where are they made?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:23 pm That's awesome, Greg. Does it come with matching divorce agreement?

Fairly unusual to see you get excited about a guitar like that, must have been a beauty!

Ha no wifey is on board.

They're made in Korea by Koreans. I don't know which Korea though, hopefully North Korea.

I don't know why you'd think it's weird I'd like it though. It ticks a lot of boxes for me. It's got a lot of visual stuff I like. I wouldn't feel cheesy playing that thing live. It's got style.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:30 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:23 pm That's awesome, Greg. Does it come with matching divorce agreement?

Ha no wifey is on board.

They're made in Korea by Koreans. I don't know which Korea though, hopefully North Korea.

I don't know why you'd think it's weird I'd like it though. It ticks a lot of boxes for me. It's got a lot of visual stuff I like. I wouldn't feel cheesy playing that thing live. It's got style.
Cool. 1200 is really top whack for Korean stuff so it must be really well made. Are you gonna go for the Saints colour one?

I just meant you get that excited about a guitar in general, not just that one. It's normally amps that you get excited about.