Marshall 1960A 4x12 facelift

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
JD01

Re: Marshall 1960A 4x12 facelift

Post by JD01 »

Just started browsing the Rivalta site. There's nice stuff on there!
Combijr_a3c37ce6-6d59-4b96-8318-c3bd794a5037_1090x.jpg
I like their take on a Jr.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:31 pm
Cool. 1200 is really top whack for Korean stuff so it must be really well made. Are you gonna go for the Saints colour one?

I just meant you get that excited about a guitar in general, not just that one. It's normally amps that you get excited about.
Ha that's true. I do generally care more about amps. Guitars don't mean that much to me, but I like cool ones.

Yup, I'm gonna order that black and gold one in the pic up above.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:40 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:31 pm
Cool. 1200 is really top whack for Korean stuff so it must be really well made. Are you gonna go for the Saints colour one?

I just meant you get that excited about a guitar in general, not just that one. It's normally amps that you get excited about.
Ha that's true. I do generally care more about amps. Guitars don't mean that much to me, but I like cool ones.

Yup, I'm gonna order that black and gold one in the pic up above.
Awesome. Looking forward to hearing what you do with it and what you think of it.

There's also a 2 humbucker, T-O-M version of that Mondata in "Mantis Green" it's like they've got the colours from the 70s Plymouth catalogue!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:49 pm
Awesome. Looking forward to hearing what you do with it and what you think of it.

There's also a 2 humbucker, T-O-M version of that Mondata in "Mantis Green" it's like they've got the colours from the 70s Plymouth catalogue!
Yeah that green one is sick.

This one is used, great price, nice color, and it has a case. Cases are apparently like unicorns for these guitars.
https://reverb.com/item/30547651-rivolta-mondata-xviii
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That is nice. Browsing through the site I think I like pretty much everything Rivolta do.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Korean made is fine as is Vietnamese made these days.
Impressive piece of kit and will add to the oddball contingent alongside your Mosrite.
How does it sound with spring reverb?
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:37 pm Korean made is fine as is Vietnamese made these days.
Impressive piece of kit and will add to the oddball contingent alongside your Mosrite.
How does it sound with spring reverb?
Sounded awesome! I tried it through a Twin Reverb. The minihums sound roughly comparable to P90s.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:55 am

My only nits are the 24 frets...the last two are virtually unusable, which is fine. I aint going up there anyway. The middle pickup is right in the fucking way of where I do my business. I can adapt, but I banged into it a lot. I don't foresee going through all the series parallel wongo switching options this thing has, so maybe I could just crank that pickup down into the guitar and not worry about it.

So yeah, it's on my list. One will be in Casa Greg soon.
those last two frets are definitely usable even if you're not going to use them.
if I can use the 20th and 21st fret on a paul those would be easy to reach compared to that.

I'm with ya' on the middle p'up .... they really get in my way.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:49 pm
those last two frets are definitely usable even if you're not going to use them.
if I can use the 20th and 21st fret on a paul those would be easy to reach compared to that.

The 22nd fret on a LP is easier to get to than the 24th fret on that Rivolta. You have to reach around the heel and the fret gap is so narrow...it really is virtually useless. Even seated it was weird.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:07 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:49 pm

The 22nd fret on a LP is easier to get to than the 24th fret on that Rivolta. You have to reach around the heel and the fret gap is so narrow...it really is virtually useless. Even seated it was weird.
lol ..... I'm tellin' ya' I'd use 'em !!

:lollers2:

On a Paul you have to reach around that heel and the big ass thick body!

That's the once thing I miss about the Stinnett .... having those last two frets.
I can live without them but I do use them if they're there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 pm lol ..... I'm tellin' ya' I'd use 'em !!

:lollers2:

On a Paul you have to reach around that heel and the big ass thick body!

That's the once thing I miss about the Stinnett .... having those last two frets.
I can live without them but I do use them if they're there.
Why don't you play the Stinnett anymore?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm

because I play the Slick .... really nothing more than that.
The Slick is just really, stupid good ...... it plays almost as well as the Stinnett and since I don't want to use the Stinnett on gigs where it gets wet, which is about half my gigs, that means I'm playing the Slick half the time anyways and then come the inside gigs :
1. The Slick is already in the truck and
2. I have to remember to change my slide over to whatever guitar I'm using

Ya' know what's easier than doing that?
NOT doing that!

I do need to give the Stinnett a good cleaning and start using it some ... but I really like the Slick a LOT.
I like how it plays and I like how it sounds and I especially like the excellent intonation.

Plus even though I like it, I don't give the least little crap about it.
Last week it took a face plant on a hardwood stage just as I was going to break.
I didn't even pick it up!
Nothing can harm it ..... it's just a plank of wood.
And if something did happen to it, for $200 bucks I can get another one.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:11 pm
Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm

because I play the Slick .... really nothing more than that.
The Slick is just really, stupid good ...... it plays almost as well as the Stinnett and since I don't want to use the Stinnett on gigs where it gets wet, which is about half my gigs, that means I'm playing the Slick half the time anyways and then come the inside gigs :
1. The Slick is already in the truck and
2. I have to remember to change my slide over to whatever guitar I'm using

Ya' know what's easier than doing that?
NOT doing that!

I do need to give the Stinnett a good cleaning and start using it some ... but I really like the Slick a LOT.
I like how it plays and I like how it sounds and I especially like the excellent intonation.

Plus even though I like it, I don't give the least little crap about it.
Last week it took a face plant on a hardwood stage just as I was going to break.
I didn't even pick it up!
Nothing can harm it ..... it's just a plank of wood.
And if something did happen to it, for $200 bucks I can get another one.
:lollers2: :lollers2: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

While I'm fucking up all kinds of other shit, I did one of my B cabs too.

This one turned out really nice. The cab tolex is pretty beat so it looks like a proper old cab now. :cheers1:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Hell yeah, I love that grille cloth. And that's a nice and tidy job fitting it.

So, I've got two Marshall 4x10 cabs. I've got the proper A cab that was matched with my head, and I went back and grabbed the B cab that I thought was matched as well. It doesn't exactly take a proper sleuth to see that the B cab actually has nothing to do with my 2204S head and is just a re-tolex of a regular 4x10 (I think they're called 1965 A and B cabs, if memory serves me correctly...but hey I mis-remembered that Gibsons were 25.5" long, so my memory doesn't count for much :D).

After searching a bit, I realized pretty quickly that the matching green/gold B cabs for these things are extremely rare. Like, made of unobtanium. The heads and slant cabs are already uncommon since they were just made for a year in the mid 1980s, but those straight 4x10s in green/gold almost don't exist at all.

Here are the two side-by-side (imitation green on the left, real one on the right). Under most light, the imitation one just looks black, but with this white light shining on it, I can juuuuust tell that it's really dark green. And the texture is totally different.

I've thought more than once of trying to find a tolex that's closer to the real thing, and finding some of that grille cloth and piping to match. Maybe someday that'd make a cool project. But for now, the B cab is just a stand that holds up my Fender combo :)
P1230011.JPG
The tower of power:
P1230009.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's a cool setup @Tadpui. :coolstorybro:

I've never seen a 2204S spec'd B cab myself. I actually didn't even know they existed. Besides knowing of yours I've only ever seen one other 2204S A cab in the wild.

You're right about the 4x10s being "1965" cabs. There are "1966" cabs too which are the same cabs but with 2x12 baffles in the same big box.

If you ever feel like getting crazy, refurbing that B cab to 2204s visual specs would be a bad ass project! You could leave the tolex and just do the grill cloth and piping. It's not hard. Just be ready to pull A LOT of staples. :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

it's not that easy either ..... you can just say, "Pffft .... not that hard" all ya' want ...... but getting the weave really straight, even in plain grill cloth, is really a tedious thing ...... it's so easy to see if it's off even a little bit.

Really nice work
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Thanks. It's really all about the corners. I've done a few of these things now. Two for myself, four or five for other people. The key to it all, in my experience, is the corners. Get the corners right and the rest pretty much takes care of itself.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

That looks really good, REALLY good.
I'll pass on the visuals - but only because I'm lazy/inept.
I'll spend the time looking for a decent speaker for my VS421 era cab and not actually buying it.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:14 pm That looks really good, REALLY good.
I'll pass on the visuals - but only because I'm lazy/inept.
I'll spend the time looking for a decent speaker for my VS421 era cab and not actually buying it.
Yeah some styles/types of grill cloth does have an effect on the sound....but not this one. It's purely just for looks.

And upgrading speakers is never a bad idea. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell