Upcoming gig

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Upcoming gig

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: ↑Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:23 pm The other Jongleur is back in town from a year OS with his family today - I wonder if he'll turn up! Damn well better... Solidarity. πŸ˜ƒ
Ooh! Reunion show!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

LOL - yeah I'm not sure he even knows it on. I believe he lobs back into the country today, with this wife and two kids, and will probably be really busy for a bit trying to get a job and a house. I'll see if I can get his attention this week sometime...
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

So, D-day tomorrow. No video of rehearsal as a house was being built next door and there's lots of loud noises and the mixer is too far away from the studio interface to run direct.

I was royally fucking up one of the looper songs today, so I'll give that another go in the morning and hopefully get it sorted.

Apart from that I'm reasonably ok. Just can't decide what to wear... πŸ€”πŸ˜¬πŸ˜ƒ

Hopefully some people show up. People say they will, but this is a big city and if you're not local it's a pretty big time commitment. Fingers crossed...
rayc

Post by rayc »

You'll do fine - if you stuff up play 'em your youtube videos.
BUT' You'll be great - you can do these things in front of people - even have recent experience.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm sure you'll ace it, Armi.

Although I would like to hear a post gig report where you've gone full spinal tap.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Good luck dude. Have fun with it man.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

The stage before I was on it... divey suburban bar.

Apparently I was pretty good. Lots of clapping.

[attachment=0]20200111_144341.jpg[/attachment]

I'm sure other people have actual photos... I'll get some.

Best part was doing this major loop on the last song at the very end - big, big ending - at which point I put the guitar down, took the mic off the stand, and wandered out into the crowd and sang from there with about 27 guitar lines and drums playing from the looper..😁

Before going back upon the stage to end the song...

Great theatre.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Nice one, David!
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nice one, mate. Sounds like you aced it.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Very cool. Sounds like you had fun with it.

Good work man!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Thanks. Lots of people said lots of nice things later.

This had nothing to do with me buttonholing everyone and saying "What did you think? Wasn't I awesome?"πŸ˜„

As usual, I was mildly surprised that people I know who have never seen/heard me play are surprised that I'm good at it.

A couple of the old blues guys, who were there to play harp on a couple of tunes for the other guys (a blues duo) came up later and shook my hand and said they really enjoyed it. Think the looping and me getting out onto the floor surprised them. 😁

It was nice to play in a place where people go just to listen to music, and are open to the experience.

I'll raid GF's phone later and see what she has by way of pics. The videos are crap because of the noise level in the bar - small place no more than 4m wide - old on-line townhouse - and lots of people, and the videos were taken from right in front of the bar, so you can't hear much of me but there's some awesome conversation and chinking of glasses... πŸ˜ƒ
rayc

Post by rayc »

Well done. I didn't doubt you'd do well.Getting the shake from a couple of "old blues guys" is the eating of the pudding.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Here, in it's ragged glory, recorded by phone and featuring my GF singing along, somewhat tunelessly at times :lollers: is Gravity (Like A Spaceman). There were a bunch of other people at the back singing along too - all my regulars (like 6 people... :biggrin: ) know and love it.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/aZrmFytWWL4[/BBvideo]

And a few random pictures...
DarkSnip1.PNG
SSSnip1.PNG
TandMSnip2.PNG
I won't leave the video up for long - she'll kill me if she finds out I've put it on YouTube... :biggrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Great job, man! Sounds like everyone had a great time.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Nice buddy. Sounds good well rehearsed!! Looks like your having fun. And well rehearsed. I like the sound of that acoustic too!!! So is all that backing band stuff in this looper thing you were talking about?

Well done though. Bigger Balls than i have to get up and there and do that alone.

I once watched an interview of one of my punk rock heros who sort of went off and started a solo acoustic career and he said the first few months were the scariest things he ever did. When he got on stage with his old band or whatever he said he had the comfort of the other three guys and the crowds attention was spread out all over. When it was just him it was just him and only him. I can only imagine that transition sucking a lot. HAHA.

You look comfortable dude, hope you get in a few more shows.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:51 pm Nice buddy. Sounds good well rehearsed!! Looks like your having fun. And well rehearsed. I like the sound of that acoustic too!!! So is all that backing band stuff in this looper thing you were talking about?

Well done though. Bigger Balls than i have to get up and there and do that alone.

I once watched an interview of one of my punk rock heros who sort of went off and started a solo acoustic career and he said the first few months were the scariest things he ever did. When he got on stage with his old band or whatever he said he had the comfort of the other three guys and the crowds attention was spread out all over. When it was just him it was just him and only him. I can only imagine that transition sucking a lot. HAHA.

You look comfortable dude, hope you get in a few more shows.
Thanks - the looper, in that song, just provides a 2 bar drum beat which I took from the recording - I didn't do any looping, it's just me playing a single guitar bit. Plus there's the Neil Armstrong sample at the end.

One of the reasons I wanted to do the gig was to have the experience of just me, guitar and associated tech, and audience, playing only original material. I've done it before, but only at songwriter nights and stuff like that - 20 minutes' worth, and not for ages. So I played for 70 minutes and kept everyone entertained. 13 songs, 2 of which were upbeat instrumentals, the rest were normal songs. A sympathetic audience helped, but the 90% of them had never heard any of the material before.

I've always been quite comfortable on stages and don't really suffer from nerves - not at that level of a gig anyway. The thing I was nervous about was wearing glasses, which I've worn for 40 years, but never on stage until Saturday. I'd just be blind, or wear short distance contacts - but I decided I needed to get over my vanity.

There's another vid of the final song, where I do some looping. I'll have to dig it out - needs some editing though - might put it up on the weekend from GFs house as I'm a bit light on bandwidth this month. #thanksplaystation

Apparently, that yellow jug you can see at the start is supposed to be passed around the house for band donations, and that's how you get paid. Now we'd decided, as a lot of people are doing at the moment, to just donate any takings to the RFS (rural fire service) because of the fires, but we didn't announce it, and they didn't actually pass the damn thing around anyway - I'm assuming because they were actually very busy - place was packed. Still, there was $215 in it by the end, I'm told. Be interested to see, if we go around again, what happens next time. I don't mind doing this if I'm going to pick up $100 or so for expenses, as it's only 5 minutes from where I live, but I'm not doing it for love in future.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Wow man, that's terrific! Nice job getting out there and entertaining a room full of people for an evening.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice. Sounds pretty good.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Well done - there's no indication that you've not been doing this weekly - you have the whole thing sorted and smooth.
TOP song too.
The guitar sounded terrific too!
Your voice seems to enjoy some room to spread too.
Impressive.
I hope you don't mind that I downloaded the vid.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sounds good, Armi. I know I couldn't perform like that.