Reaper 6 Is Here!!

This should be self explanatory.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Reaper 6 Is Here!!

Post by WhiskeyJack »

And here is the first look at it i have seen!! Willbe sure to go dig a little deeper tomorrow!!

https://cdm.link/2019/12/reaper-6-daw/
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Re: Reaper 6 Is Here!!

Post by Tadpui »

I saw the notification to update, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The updates seem pretty incremental, and my license expires at the end of version 5, so I'm in no hurry. I am curious how the new theme looks though. Is it any different, or just a superficial makeup job?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:55 am I saw the notification to update, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The updates seem pretty incremental, and my license expires at the end of version 5, so I'm in no hurry. I am curious how the new theme looks though. Is it any different, or just a superficial makeup job?
I have only just skimmed that article nothing to indepth yet but im hoping to sinky teeth into it next week. I have adult things to do all this weekend sadly.

Ive been waiting to jump on six. Im still on 4 :(
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Haha that same article just popped up in my google feed, and I have to say that I'm impressed by the embedded plugin display. I have ReaEQ on pretty much every track, so that'll be a great improvement for me. And I've started using more complex routings (sidechains and sends) so the graphical router seems cool.

I might just pick it up over the weekend after seeing that.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I watched this yesterday...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LTBlNzmhA[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I downloaded it and paid for a new license two days ago. My review - it's the same as Reaper always is. I still use skin from version 3 and I never notice any of the updates even though I do every single update as soon as it pops up. To me, all of this is good. I don't want my shit changing with every update. Version 6 might as well be version 1.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm on V5.961
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:33 am I downloaded it and paid for a new license two days ago. My review - it's the same as Reaper always is. I still use skin from version 3 and I never notice any of the updates even though I do every single update as soon as it pops up. To me, all of this is good. I don't want my shit changing with every update. Version 6 might as well be version 1.
I am a big fan of the fact they make it look like older versions. I thinki have reaper four and also have it tailored to look like 3 maybe. It's clever really that they give the user to take the new and make it look old. Maybe a lot of daw's do that who knows?

I was reading some reviews and there are some lame ducks out there that are thumbing their nose at it because "it looks like 1996" :k: Who cares what it looks like? I don't?! I have also had mild debates on twitter a while ago with someone who tried to convert to reaper from ... Cubase maybe? and her biggest issues was that 'it looks old and boring'. I tapped out of the convo at that point.

To be fair to that person, unlike us their job is 100% in front of a daw all day long. Maybe for someone like that they might want something a little more fun? Maybe? But all the hobby / bedroom basement guys bitching that it looks like windows 98 should get a grip and focus on whats in the box rather than how pretty and cute the box is. :headwall: :headwall:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:05 am I watched this yesterday...
Shoot yeah! Kenny!

So can I make the new theme with its fancy features look like my v2 theme?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:06 pm

I am a big fan of the fact they make it look like older versions. I thinki have reaper four and also have it tailored to look like 3 maybe. It's clever really that they give the user to take the new and make it look old. Maybe a lot of daw's do that who knows?

I was reading some reviews and there are some lame ducks out there that are thumbing their nose at it because "it looks like 1996" :k: Who cares what it looks like? I don't?! I have also had mild debates on twitter a while ago with someone who tried to convert to reaper from ... Cubase maybe? and her biggest issues was that 'it looks old and boring'. I tapped out of the convo at that point.

To be fair to that person, unlike us their job is 100% in front of a daw all day long. Maybe for someone like that they might want something a little more fun? Maybe? But all the hobby / bedroom basement guys bitching that it looks like windows 98 should get a grip and focus on whats in the box rather than how pretty and cute the box is. :headwall: :headwall:
I think people get too hung up on the appearance of plugs and DAWs and shit. I'm like...who fucking cares? As long as it works and I can find my way around, I don't care if it looks like Windows 95. You can go to Cockos and download any of the ten trillion billion million user created themes if one wants.

But to contradict myself, I like "theme 3.0" because it's dark. I like dark screens and shades of grays. I don't like staring at bright colors or white backgrounds. Theme 3.0 has worked for me for around ten years.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 pm
rayc wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:05 am I watched this yesterday...
Shoot yeah! Kenny!

So can I make the new theme with its fancy features look like my v2 theme?
Reaper is so customizable that you must be able to save a theme you like from a previous version and just import it into newer ones. Has to be a way to that right. Like wasn't [mention]Minerman[/mention] working on an reaper theme that was Marshall inspired? Like wouldn't all that have ot be saved somewhere as a like a MinersMarhsallTheme.reaperthemeextsnionlibrary file or something?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Reaper is so customizable that you must be able to save a theme you like from a previous version and just import it into newer ones. Has to be a way to that right. Like wasn't @Minerman working on an reaper theme that was Marshall inspired? Like wouldn't all that have ot be saved somewhere as a like a MinersMarhsallTheme.reaperthemeextsnionlibrary file or something?
Miner made his own theme, complete with images and all sorts of shit. It's pretty wild.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I just updated my license for v6!

I think the reason that v6 looks the same for most of us is beacuse if you're using a custom theme from your earlier version, it retains that. If you change the theme to "default", it'll now look like the new v6 theme.

I actually kinda like it. I've been using this one from Janne from 2015 that I've come to love. But I might give the v6 theme a try for a while to see if it wins my favor.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:36 pm I just updated my license for v6!

I think the reason that v6 looks the same for most of us is beacuse if you're using a custom theme from your earlier version, it retains that. If you change the theme to "default", it'll now look like the new v6 theme.

I actually kinda like it. I've been using this one from Janne from 2015 that I've come to love. But I might give the v6 theme a try for a while to see if it wins my favor.
you gonna do a reaper 6 unboxing video?

unboxing? installing video? :lollers2: :lollers2: What would you call that ? First Look ?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:00 pm you gonna do a reaper 6 unboxing video?

unboxing? installing video? :lollers2: :lollers2: What would you call that ? First Look ?
Haha! It'd be my shortest video ever. I think the install took about 3 seconds :) I could actually use some shorter videos on my channel...but maybe that'd be too short!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Anyone had any issues with 6 yet. I might pull the trigger on this this week sometime. I am still on windows 7 however. I should consider upgrading to windows 10.

[mention]Tadpui[/mention] If i were to provide you with the specs of my DAW machine would be able to tell me if if i will suffer any performance loss. I just rebuilt this sucker after i moved into my house like maybe 2104 or 2015? I want to say that i will probably feel the upgrade but maybe not. Let me know if you'd have time to give it a once over.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

It's an expensive licence this time around. :(
Haggard Musician :mad:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 pm Anyone had any issues with 6 yet. I might pull the trigger on this this week sometime. I am still on windows 7 however. I should consider upgrading to windows 10.

@Tadpui If i were to provide you with the specs of my DAW machine would be able to tell me if if i will suffer any performance loss. I just rebuilt this sucker after i moved into my house like maybe 2104 or 2015? I want to say that i will probably feel the upgrade but maybe not. Let me know if you'd have time to give it a once over.
Sure, fire away. Most likely it'll be fine if it's as recent of a machine as 2014/2015. But let me know.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:39 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 pm Anyone had any issues with 6 yet. I might pull the trigger on this this week sometime. I am still on windows 7 however. I should consider upgrading to windows 10.

@Tadpui If i were to provide you with the specs of my DAW machine would be able to tell me if if i will suffer any performance loss. I just rebuilt this sucker after i moved into my house like maybe 2104 or 2015? I want to say that i will probably feel the upgrade but maybe not. Let me know if you'd have time to give it a once over.
Sure, fire away. Most likely it'll be fine if it's as recent of a machine as 2014/2015. But let me know.
Cool. Ill get that info to you this afternoon. Thanks tad.
Bubba wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:02 am It's an expensive licence this time around. :(
Is it no longer 60 bucks?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My ver 6 license was $64.95.

Last time I bought a license was ver 4....like 5 years ago maybe? I think the renewal skips every other version?
Rebel Yell