Any good Black Friday deals that you've got your eye on?

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Tadpui

Any good Black Friday deals that you've got your eye on?

Post by Tadpui »

It's that time of year, when retailers everywhere try to lure us into their clutches :D

I've only got my eye on a couple of tempting deals.

Sweetwater has an AKG C414 XLS for under $700, which is the cheapest that I've ever seen this mic listed (normally $1100). It's a classic and very versatile mic that can do pretty much anything, since it has a huge dynamic range and several polar patterns. My problem is that I want 2 of them to use for drum overheads and other stereo jobs around the studio. But the matched pair costs something like $700 more than just 2 of the mics would cost. Makes no sense. But I still want them very badly. Maybe. Just maybe.

Also Lewitt has a 20% off sale on all of their microphones, so that's another tempting deal. But I think that my LCT440 fulfills all of my desires for a vocal-oriented mic, so I don't think that I'll pull the trigger on that sale.

Toontrack has their annual sale going on, but I think that the coming year will see me trying more real drums rather than fake ones, so I'm not too hot on that sale.

Other than that, there are the usual software plugin deals at Waves and other places. I'm not much of a plugin whore so those sales are always kind of "meh" for me. I might pick up one or two if something catches my eye.

What about you? Any deals that have your "add to cart" trigger finger itching?
Greg_L

Re: Any good Black Friday deals that you've got your eye on?

Post by Greg_L »

My wife will find a black friday deal on a divorce lawyer if I buy any more shit this year.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:47 am My wife will find a black friday deal on a divorce lawyer if I buy any more shit this year.
LOL I hear ya. It's been a big year at the Greg household! BTW, how is the new room doing? Got a chance to make some noise in there yet?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:32 am

LOL I hear ya. It's been a big year at the Greg household! BTW, how is the new room doing? Got a chance to make some noise in there yet?
A little bit. I've been doing some test mixing to familiarize myself with the slightly different monitor placement and lack of drums and shit in here.

The upstairs drum arrangement is still a total clusterfuck, but that's just my constant terminal laziness.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:21 am A little bit. I've been doing some test mixing to familiarize myself with the slightly different monitor placement and lack of drums and shit in here.

The upstairs drum arrangement is still a total clusterfuck, but that's just my constant terminal laziness.
I'm ashamed to admit that I just figured out that Reaper has a way to remote control it through a web browser. I've been toying with it a little lately, and it's a perfect way to control Reaper though a phone/tablet from your drum throne without having to use a mouse and squint to see the monitors from across the room. that might help your drum room come into shape!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:41 am

I'm ashamed to admit that I just figured out that Reaper has a way to remote control it through a web browser. I've been toying with it a little lately, and it's a perfect way to control Reaper though a phone/tablet from your drum throne without having to use a mouse and squint to see the monitors from across the room. that might help your drum room come into shape!
I tried that one a while back and it just seemed clumsy and limited to me. Maybe it's gotten better, or more likely, I don't know wtf I'm doing.

All I really need for the upstairs drum configuration is a little table to set next to the drum throne for the laptop and interface, and for me to get off my ass and just do it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:47 am My wife will find a black friday deal on a divorce lawyer if I buy any more shit this year.
https://www.atbguitars.com/store/produc ... jrtvmaple/
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Not interested.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Well .... a black friday deal that I have to do ........ ordering this on Monday

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... orkstation
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:52 pm Well .... a black friday deal that I have to do ........ ordering this on Monday

Ooh cool! I don't know much about synth workstations, but that looks like a lot of fun. That's a lot of stuff crammed into that synth!

Is this for your live shows, or are you working on your Kraftwerk inspired solo album? :D
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Oh and for the record, I've got a pair of C414 XLS in my Sweetwater cart, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. This is a real Ross and Rachel situation here: will they or won't they? I still don't know. I have plenty of mics. But these...these are calling my name.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:40 pm This is a real Ross and Rachel situation here
They were on a break!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:37 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:52 pm Well .... a black friday deal that I have to do ........ ordering this on Monday

Ooh cool! I don't know much about synth workstations, but that looks like a lot of fun. That's a lot of stuff crammed into that synth!

Is this for your live shows, or are you working on your Kraftwerk inspired solo album? :D
it's for live work although it looks like it'll have a lot of other uses.
But my old XP's are getting unreliable and I'm tired of dealing with 3o floppy discs all the time.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:37 am it's for live work although it looks like it'll have a lot of other uses.
But my old XP's are getting unreliable and I'm tired of dealing with 3o floppy discs all the time.
Wow, floppy disks? That's some vintage digital gear right there :)

Well, I pulled the trigger on 2 of the C414s. But I didn't go through Sweetwater because part of the sale expired before I was ready. On Reverb, I'd been keeping an eye on an open-box matched pair of C414s from Alto Music. Turns out it was about $1000 cheaper to get that matched pair than it would have been on Sweetwater. It cost about as much as 2 non-matched mics would have been at Sweetwater's sale price. So I think it turned out to be a good deal overall on a like-new pair of technically "used" mics.

They'll be here Sunday! Finally the world will be able to hear my bad vocals, off-time drums, and poorly intonated guitars in stunning clarity :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:46 pm

Wow, floppy disks? That's some vintage digital gear right there :)

Well, I pulled the trigger on 2 of the C414s. But I didn't go through Sweetwater because part of the sale expired before I was ready. On Reverb, I'd been keeping an eye on an open-box matched pair of C414s from Alto Music. Turns out it was about $1000 cheaper to get that matched pair than it would have been on Sweetwater. It cost about as much as 2 non-matched mics would have been at Sweetwater's sale price. So I think it turned out to be a good deal overall on a like-new pair of technically "used" mics.

They'll be here Sunday! Finally the world will be able to hear my bad vocals, off-time drums, and poorly intonated guitars in stunning clarity :D
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

My promotions tab in gmail is three pages long. I usually only have ot gut about 15 to 20 emails out of there each day. today its THREE PAGES LONG!!!!!!!
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

There's actually a Glenn Fricker thing that popped up today on a mastering limiter that I just might get.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'm contemplating getting Sound Toys Decapitator. It's on sale for $69, down from $199. I'd pay that for a good saturation plugin.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I know it's me being obtuse and obdurate but I don't participate in manufactured deal days like Record Store day etc. Besides I miss the REAL Black Fridays - Friday 13th - when there'd be a horror movie marathon on the box.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:05 am I'm contemplating getting Sound Toys Decapitator. It's on sale for $69, down from $199. I'd pay that for a good saturation plugin.
Have you got a link to what it does. I'd like an alternative to the camel crusher