Any good Black Friday deals that you've got your eye on?

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
CrowsofFritz

Re: Any good Black Friday deals that you've got your eye on?

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:34 am I know it's me being obtuse and obdurate but I don't participate in manufactured deal days like Record Store day etc. Besides I miss the REAL Black Fridays - Friday 13th - when there'd be a horror movie marathon on the box.
Yeah, I don’t like to participate on it, either. Sometimes companies scam you, like the one time I had my eye on a laptop that was originally $400, then for two weeks they raised the price to $500, and for Black Friday they “lowered” it to $400.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:19 am
rayc wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:34 am I know it's me being obtuse and obdurate but I don't participate in manufactured deal days like Record Store day etc. Besides I miss the REAL Black Fridays - Friday 13th - when there'd be a horror movie marathon on the box.
Yeah, I don’t like to participate on it, either. Sometimes companies scam you, like the one time I had my eye on a laptop that was originally $400, then for two weeks they raised the price to $500, and for Black Friday they “lowered” it to $400.
As with all "deals" unless it's redundant stock the free fourth wheels is priced into the other tree.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I get deals on music or stereo gear from places I already buy from and know their usual prices.

So I reach out to the sales people that already sell me stuff and ask if the can do something special on a piece of gear i've been wanting but was too high.

Last year I got a $1300 Roland FA-06 for $950

This year I got a $879 Aerophone AE-10 for $750.

Sometimes the salesmen you usually buy from have some room to work and help a regular customer get a deal they wouldn't normally be able to get.

I have never though, gone early and stood in line to push through the doors when a store opens.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I went to one and only one black friday "doorbuster" sale a while back to get the kids some super cheap laptops. It wasn't psycho fist-fight madness or anything, but I'll never do that again.

We've been pretty much online shopping only for a long time now. Brick and mortar retail can kiss my ass!

It's like, which do I prefer.....
Going out, driving around, but getting something immediately and taking home?
-or-
Sit in my underwear, click a mouse, and wait a few days for it to be delivered?

I'm going with the underwear option.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:08 am Have you got a link to what it does. I'd like an alternative to the camel crusher
Oh, sure. Here's the product page on their website. It's just a saturation plugin, kind of an analog/tube/transformer emulator: https://www.soundtoys.com/product/decapitator/

Warren did a show about it (although I haven't watched it for a long time, I can't remember how to-the-point this one is): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xgh3LVbVxM

I'm wanting to try it on just about everything in a mix to see if a little subtle saturation would be a good thing for me.
paulman

Post by paulman »

I just got a couple of Toontrack drum expansions. Southern Soul, which is Muscle Shoals drum sounds, and Americana, because I need rootsier-sounding drums for some situations. $22 for Americana, and I think it was $52 for Southern Soul.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Ugritone's stuff is really cheap for the holiday, so i'll probably pick up some drum expansions

Maybe see if someone's selling discounted vocaloid
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I wonder if Superior Drummer can give me a different snare sound. I want a supraphonic
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This thing looks good.
https://www.submissionaudio.com/products/flatline
So, its a simple mastering limiter/clipper where you can see how much you're chopping off along with an integrated LUFS meter.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:26 pm supraphonic
Best snare ever.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:18 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:26 pm supraphonic
Best snare ever.
I haven't investigated Superior Drummer enough yet, but I want to see if you can buy specific kit pieces.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:36 am
I haven't investigated Superior Drummer enough yet, but I want to see if you can buy specific kit pieces.
Can you load your own samples? I have a supraphonic. It's about to get new heads. I could record a few whacks just to see if it works.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:38 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:36 am
Can you load your own samples? I have a supraphonic. It's about to get new heads. I could record a few whacks just to see if it works.
Could try it. I remember you and miner discussed something similar a few years back didn't you. I think miner knew a fair bit more about this than me though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:00 am
Could try it. I remember you and miner discussed something similar a few years back didn't you. I think miner knew a fair bit more about this than me though.
I made miner a bunch of cymbal samples because drum software programmers still can't seem to figure out cymbals.

I get why though....it was a bitch. Cymbals have so much nuance and variety it's nearly impossible to make samples for all the different ways you can play just one cymbal.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:09 am
I made miner a bunch of cymbal samples because drum software programmers still can't seem to figure out cymbals.

I get why though....it was a bitch. Cymbals have so much nuance and variety it's nearly impossible to make samples for all the different ways you can play just one cymbal.
Most drum packs I've seen have maybe 4 types of hit per cymbal based on the velocity.
Maybe 8 if they include bell hits on the ride and crash chokes. Then they map the second set of 4 to a second midi note.

How many common ways are there to hit a cymbal? Assuming that any differences in how hard you hit it using the same technique can be mapped to a single note, would it be feasible to map out a cymbal fully in a kit?
I feel like if I were forced to figure it out, it'd be something like stick tip vs stick shaft and hitting the bell vs hitting the main body of the cymbal. That'd give you 4.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:42 am

How many common ways are there to hit a cymbal?
I'm not even a competent drummer and I can probably get at least half a dozen distinct sounds out of just one cymbal. And that's not just dorky minutia that only drummers can hear. These are noticeably distinct sounds just from how and where you hit a cymbal.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:54 am Ugritone's stuff is really cheap for the holiday, so i'll probably pick up some drum expansions

Maybe see if someone's selling discounted vocaloid
I keep having those thrown in my face via web advertising ALL.THE.TIME. Their prices always seem resonable when they areo n sale. Can you use them in EZdrummer? Or do you need something else?
JD01 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:26 pm I wonder if Superior Drummer can give me a different snare sound. I want a supraphonic
https://www.toontrack.com/product/kicks-snares-ezx/

tons of supraphonics here. this is on my holiday wishlist but has yet to go on sale. About the only expansion you'd really need for EZD/SD3.

[mention]JD01[/mention] i don't think you can buy just "a" snare. You will have to sit and go through all the midi packs notes / details to find the piece you want and buy the midi pack or drum kit it comes in. but i do think that one i linked to get's you all the snares and all the kinks toontrack has to offer at this point.

A word of advice though if i may, I feel when it comes to drum midi, wanting a very specific piece / sound based on "industry reputation" is a not a great way to chase a sound or tone. Take it from someone who has wasted shitloads of cash on toontrack drum kits to do just that and in the end uses none of them. 9 times in 10 the generic stock in the box "Modern Kit" or "VIntage Kit" in EZD2 has the sounds i am after.

Food for Thought.
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I keep seeing ads for stuff that I'd love to have. But none of these things are really on sale :(

The Alto Venova, a weird plastic woodwind instrument that uses recorder fingerings but has a sax-like sound (please let Yamaha release the signature Aldo Nova Alto Venova model, just for yuks): https://www.musiciansfriend.com/classro ... instrument

The Ampeg SVT Micro VR bass amp and matching 2x10 cabinet IN FREAKING RED which looks amazing: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifi ... ed-edition

A 25mm (50mm equivalent) f1.7 lens for my camera:

And I'm still wrestling with whether or not to get a Shure SM7B for review. My channel isn't quite rich enough for it yet. Maybe in the new year, after the inflated holiday ad revenue comes in.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:40 pm The Ampeg SVT Micro VR bass amp and matching 2x10 cabinet IN FREAKING RED which looks amazing: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifi ... ed-edition

I want that. :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep:
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:44 pm Image

I want that. :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep:
I know, right?!? It's beautiful. I showed it to my wife (who has a weakness for just about anything in red) and she's on board. I don't *need* a bass amp. But damn, that thing looks incredible in red.

Also, LOL @ that gif :D