Any good Black Friday deals that you've got your eye on?

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Armistice

Re: Any good Black Friday deals that you've got your eye on?

Post by Armistice »

Back on the cymbals thing, with rides in particular, I load 3 separate rides and beat on the main one then almost randomly add in a lesser amount of various types of ride hits from one of the other two - just to make it sound more "real". Nothing sounds worse than just hitting the same ride sound repeatedly in drum software.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:54 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:54 am Ugritone's stuff is really cheap for the holiday, so i'll probably pick up some drum expansions

Maybe see if someone's selling discounted vocaloid
I keep having those thrown in my face via web advertising ALL.THE.TIME. Their prices always seem resonable when they areo n sale. Can you use them in EZdrummer? Or do you need something else?
Nope. It's its own standalone VSTi. You can set it to the same mappings as an EZD kit. (Honestly, basically every alternative drum that I've used has better routing than EZD because all the tiny third-party ones need to be compatible with EZD, superior, etc. mappings)

So you can't do the EZD thing where you load up your instance and switch between kits, you have to add a new instance for each drum set

It does have one super weird thing where you can control the levels of each drum in the OH and room mics separately. So if you wanted, you could have no kick in the room mics or set your overheads to only pick up your cymbals.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:25 pm It does have one super weird thing where you can control the levels of each drum in the OH and room mics separately. So if you wanted, you could have no kick in the room mics or set your overheads to only pick up your cymbals.
That sounds delightful.

EZD2 made some imporvements on that sort of thing as well, but rather than just individual control over each piece of the kit it has a bleed knob that you can turn on some kits and it'll remove the certain pieces from the room or overheads. not the most ideal, but heaps better than EZD1.

I may have to check out this VST sometime then. :like:
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:59 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:25 pm It does have one super weird thing where you can control the levels of each drum in the OH and room mics separately. So if you wanted, you could have no kick in the room mics or set your overheads to only pick up your cymbals.
That sounds delightful.

EZD2 made some imporvements on that sort of thing as well, but rather than just individual control over each piece of the kit it has a bleed knob that you can turn on some kits and it'll remove the certain pieces from the room or overheads. not the most ideal, but heaps better than EZD1.

I don’t know the kind of wizardry going on where the program can only pick up the cymbals, but that sounds nice.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:26 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:59 pm

That sounds delightful.

I don’t know the kind of wizardry going on where the program can only pick up the cymbals, but that sounds nice.
It's all just midi / virtual instrument voodoo. not recorded Acoustic Drum sounds.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:41 pm
It's all just midi / virtual instrument voodoo. not recorded Acoustic Drum sounds.
To be pedantic, it is recorded acoustic drum sounds. It's just a bunch of pre-recorded acoustic drum samples being played back in various configurations.

I guess more control is better than less control in general, but the idea of having a drum just not getting picked up by one of the mics is illogical enough to upset me.

bee tee dubs, the drum set I picked up was "Anarchy" (because I already have several metal kits). I think most every kit you get from them will be its own VSTi. Unless you buy the KVLTII set. I think that has several kits as well as the ability to add some expansion kits. (Plus sub in your own samples if you so please)