Recording Challenge #4 (@VomitHatSteves Cross Genere Siamese Twin Cover Song Abomination))

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Recording Challenge #4

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:43 pm So how's everyone doing? Any progress?
Dude, i stil haven't touched JD's Rec Chal#3 :eep: :eep:

I am a ways out on yours man. :lollers2: :lollers2:
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I got to thinking about this challenge again the other day. I've at least got the beginning of a spark of an inkling of an idea. So far I haven't found quite the right approach, but the seed is there somewhere.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've got the idea... what I don't have is the time!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I believe in you all!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:22 am I believe in you all!
Cool :spacepalm:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I like think believing in your friends is cool.
You know what else is cool? *turns chair around and sits backwards*
Staying away from drugs and alcohol. In fact, I think Regdar here has a rap song about it...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

*regdar puppet appears*
vomitHatSteve

Re: Recording Challenge #4 (@VomitHatSteves Cross Genere Siamese Twin Cover Song Abomination))

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Anybody making any progress here?

So mine's gonna be featured on a compilation album:
Tadpui

Re: Recording Challenge #4 (@VomitHatSteves Cross Genere Siamese Twin Cover Song Abomination))

Post by Tadpui »

Only a year later and I finally had some inspiration on this one. Although I still don't think that I followed the rules, now that I re-read them. Oh well, this is as close as I can get to abiding by the challenge, but at least I feel like the spirit is there :)

This is Wishing Well by the band Free, done in the style of Wishing Well by the band Morphine. This was a one-sitting ordeal late last night...so yeah...pretty rough. And I only made it through one of the verses, mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing on a wind instrument yet. This is all of the fake sax playing I could muster in one evening. Playing slide bass on 2 strings was fun, though!
20210102 free morphine-005.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:28 am Only a year later and I finally had some inspiration on this one. Although I still don't think that I followed the rules, now that I re-read them. Oh well, this is as close as I can get to abiding by the challenge, but at least I feel like the spirit is there :)

This is Wishing Well by the band Free, done in the style of Wishing Well by the band Morphine. This was a one-sitting ordeal late last night...so yeah...pretty rough. And I only made it through one of the verses, mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing on a wind instrument yet. This is all of the fake sax playing I could muster in one evening. Playing slide bass on 2 strings was fun, though!

20210102 free morphine-005.mp3
Sounds great! Was that a distorted horn instrument I heard? Or was it just the mix of a horn and a distorted bass that’s messing with me?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:28 am This is Wishing Well by the band Free, done in the style of Wishing Well by the band Morphine.
That's exactly what the rules called for, so you're golden.

I like this! You did a good job of putting the two songs together. Especially if you only spent one evening on it!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:03 am Sounds great! Was that a distorted horn instrument I heard? Or was it just the mix of a horn and a distorted bass that’s messing with me?
Thanks Crows! The instrumentation is drums, bass, and 3 saxophone parts. The baritone-ish sax had quite an edge to it, so that may be what you're hearing that sounds like distortion. I haven't yet learned how to get fine control over my breath with this breath controller yet, so I was probably way overblowing :D
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:16 am That's exactly what the rules called for, so you're golden.

I like this! You did a good job of putting the two songs together. Especially if you only spent one evening on it!
Thanks Steve! I'd just read the part about using the lyrics and melody of one song, and since I didn't use the melody I thought I'd missed the mark.

Yeah, this was a fun quickie project. I might spend time on it this evening and see if I can flush out the idea a bit more. The original songs are only 3-4 minutes long, so I might be able to make a tolerable project out of it :)
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:01 pm
Thanks Steve! I'd just read the part about using the lyrics and melody of one song, and since I didn't use the melody I thought I'd missed the mark.

Yeah, this was a fun quickie project. I might spend time on it this evening and see if I can flush out the idea a bit more. The original songs are only 3-4 minutes long, so I might be able to make a tolerable project out of it :)
Oh, I missed the melody changes. Hardly matters tho. The best covers are the ones that take liberties with the original song.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Ha ha... buena buena!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:38 pm The best covers are the ones that take liberties with the original song.
Agreed. I think that straight covers are neither fun to make nor fun to listen to. I like to hear somebody's personality in a cover.
Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:56 pm Ha ha... buena buena!
Indeed! :D I probably stole from more than just Wishing Well with this interpretation.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

MAn kudos to you Tad. this somehow slipped off my radar the last few days. I had to google both the songs as I had no idea about either of them. Hats off.

IS that horn thing you are playing like one of those things @Lt. Bob just picked up? Am i hearing two versions of it as well? Like an almost distorted track of it and also a clean track of it? forgive my ignorance i am sure it;s not distrted but like the sort of farty sounding one. Muffled? I don't know.

Sounds pretty good really. great job man.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Haha nice job Tad. I don't know the songs but I love the dirty horns.

I think I got an idea to try now that I understand the premise of this challenge. It'll be stupid.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:52 pm MAn kudos to you Tad. this somehow slipped off my radar the last few days. I had to google both the songs as I had no idea about either of them. Hats off.

IS that horn thing you are playing like one of those things @Lt. Bob just picked up? Am i hearing two versions of it as well? Like an almost distorted track of it and also a clean track of it? forgive my ignorance i am sure it;s not distrted but like the sort of farty sounding one. Muffled? I don't know.

Sounds pretty good really. great job man.
Thanks Shan :) Yeah, the sax parts are all a Roland Aerophone. Mine is the dumbed-down entry-level version of what Lt. Bob got. It's got a simplified fingering system that puts it more in line with a recorder than a saxophone or clarinet. The two saxes playing through most of the song are the built-in sounds, just different registers. And the solo sax at the end was a virtual instrument that I was trying out. None of the sax sounds were great in that higher register, but the lower ones actually sounded somewhat convincing.
Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:23 pm Haha nice job Tad. I don't know the songs but I love the dirty horns.

I think I got an idea to try now that I understand the premise of this challenge. It'll be stupid.
Thanks Greg! It was a fun challenge, I'm sure you'll come up with something interesting :)

Way back when, I wanted to do Blackout by David Bowie, in the style of the Japanese metal band Boris, who have a song by the same name. I never could reconcile how I was going to pull it off, though. This one just hit me in a moment of inspiration as I was browsing my music library and stumbled across Morphine's album Like Swimming the other day. I figured there must be other songs named Wishing Well and I found the Free version on YouTube.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:31 pm
Way back when, I wanted to do Blackout by David Bowie, in the style of the Japanese metal band Boris, who have a song by the same name. I never could reconcile how I was going to pull it off, though.
hah! That would be amazing!

I definitely had an advantage coming into this challenge that I was mixing two songs artists that I listen to a ton of.
It was still a ton of work: figuring out which riffs from the metal song were crucial to the "metal palette" and mapping those onto the noodley synths of the geek rock song. Finding alternatives to the background industrial sounds. Figuring out which changeups should match each other in the two songs. Getting a vocal delivery that reasonably mimicked Devin f***ing Townsend on notes that were comfortable for John f***ing Linnell!

Side note: My song is published on a tribute album now. It's ridiculous! https://www.discogs.com/Various-THEY-Pa ... e/16472964
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I realised that Mark Sandman, the driving force behind Morphine, died ages ago but I didn't realise he died on stage... I guess if you have to go, that's a pretty good way.