NCD!

General recording topics.
Greg_L

Re: NCD!

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 pm

Cases are always such an overrated part of a computer build.

Does it work? Does it hold my components? Cool.
Well it looks pretty fancy!
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:07 am Well it looks pretty fancy!
It has a little bit of a Battlestar Galactica look about it :geek:

I just did some upgrading myself, and I'd kill to have thermals like that computer (which I dubbed Music Machine 2000 :D). I'm idling at 50-60 degrees Celsius! I've got some cooling upgrades to come very soon because that's not good at all. I think that I got MM2000 idling at under 40C while remaining nice and quiet. Of course that was here in Denver in the winter with 70 degree Fahrenheit ambient temps in my room. Since Houston is hot enough to cook a souffle even in November, it probably idles hotter than that in your studio.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:36 am

It has a little bit of a Battlestar Galactica look about it :geek:

I just did some upgrading myself, and I'd kill to have thermals like that computer (which I dubbed Music Machine 2000 :D). I'm idling at 50-60 degrees Celsius! I've got some cooling upgrades to come very soon because that's not good at all. I think that I got MM2000 idling at under 40C while remaining nice and quiet. Of course that was here in Denver in the winter with 70 degree Fahrenheit ambient temps in my room. Since Houston is hot enough to cook a souffle even in November, it probably idles hotter than that in your studio.
Ha yeah, it does look like that. I was thinking maybe its like a computer one might find on the Death Star, but the red light across the front definitely has a Cylon look to it. :lollers:

This thing doesn't make a sound. At startup it whirrrrs gently for a few seconds then silence. It doesn't get hot in here though. Yeah it's usually boiling outside, but it's nice and cool at all times in here.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:31 am but it's nice and cool at all times in here.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Sweet dinosaur fuel burning eco polluting HVAC!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You should be ashamed of yourself Gerk.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:15 pm You should be ashamed of yourself Gerk.
I will be after I eat these baby seal eyeballs dipped in crude oil on a plate made of illegally harvested ebony wood.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:21 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:15 pm You should be ashamed of yourself Gerk.
I will be after I eat these baby seal eyeballs dipped in crude oil on a plate made of illegally harvested ebony wood.

haha. All that stupid stuff aside when do you get to see a picture of this behemoth dude? Or have i not been getting notifications for tad's channel again??
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:24 pm

haha. All that stupid stuff aside when do you get to see a picture of this behemoth dude? Or have i not been getting notifications for tad's channel again??
Lol well my room is still 25% shambles. And I need to build a riser for my monitors. I don't wanna take pics of this mess. But soon.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

[mention]Tadpui[/mention] just kind of giving the specs another going over and i am curious about the i3 processor. What made you go with one of those over an i5 ?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:30 pm @Tadpui just kind of giving the specs another going over and i am curious about the i3 processor. What made you go with one of those over an i5 ?
Entirely budget. I set a strict budget and actually stuck to it for this build. At the time there was a deal on the i3 + B350 motherboard that made it the obvious choice for the budget. I walked into Micro Center thinking that I'd get a Ryzen 3 but Intel actually had the pricing edge at the time. The i3 really impressed me though. The 8th gen ones are nothing to sneeze at!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention] I'm assuming that your new magic box is 64bit Windows.
When you're up and running can you see if you can get them old Antres plugins working - I never managed to get them to work consistently - although I don't think I've tried them since I got my latest machine.

I'm after a decent Distressor plugin.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:27 am @Greg_L I'm assuming that your new magic box is 64bit Windows.
When you're up and running can you see if you can get them old Antres plugins working - I never managed to get them to work consistently - although I don't think I've tried them since I got my latest machine.

They work fine for me. All of my old plugs work in the new setup, although the old 32 shit runs "bridged" and that's kind of annoying a little. But it still works. I haven't fine tuned anything. It just works and I might just leave it alone.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:04 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:27 am @Greg_L I'm assuming that your new magic box is 64bit Windows.

They work fine for me. All of my old plugs work in the new setup, although the old 32 shit runs "bridged" and that's kind of annoying a little. But it still works. I haven't fine tuned anything. It just works and I might just leave it alone.
I'll give them another go. The annoying bridged thing always crashed for me - I could get them working and use them, do a mix and stuff but then when I restarted my computer they didn't work!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am
I'll give them another go. The annoying bridged thing always crashed for me - I could get them working and use them, do a mix and stuff but then when I restarted my computer they didn't work!
I gave [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] some plugs that he says were buggy, but they work for me, so I don't know. Maybe it's just some lucky settings I stumbled on.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've pretty much migrated away from all of the 32 bit plugins that I used to use, although a couple of them still find their way into projects every once in a great while. I don't recall any troubles with them in Reaper, other than they run in a pop-out window that always wants to stay on top of everything, even other applications.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:04 am They work fine for me. All of my old plugs work in the new setup, although the old 32 shit runs "bridged" and that's kind of annoying a little. But it still works. I haven't fine tuned anything. It just works and I might just leave it alone.
That confirms that mine is a special disaster case - I have access to just an half dozen old non 64 VSTs etc. Those that are bridged seem to have lost their preset menus too.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I moved away from 32 bit plugins years ago, IIRC, when I bought the computer previous to the one I have/use now, in 2010, I think...I had just a couple/few I was trying to wait out to see if the developers would make them in 64 bit, but they never did, so I replaced 'em with something else...

FWIW, I did try some of those Antress 32 bit plugins when Greg sent me his drum template a year or so ago (maybe longer), & other than the annoying double-window/bridged thing, no problems at all using them...The only time this computer has ever crashed is a few weeks ago when my Tascam shit the bed...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:05 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am
I gave WhiskeyJack some plugs that he says were buggy, but they work for me, so I don't know. Maybe it's just some lucky settings I stumbled on.
They come and go with the buggy thing. I definitely noticed a huge difference in how quickly reaper opens. I usually have like 5 projects open at a time each time i go back in to reaper though, and that is likely the cause of that. Hard to say. I'd have to test it sometime to be certain. [mention]Greg_L[/mention] does seem to have a very big horseshoe up up his though so i wont rule out dumb luck either.

The biggest issue i have run into with that family of plugins you gave me seems to be if i close out of the fx window for that channel and go back into it the gui is almost always corrupted and looks like lama vomit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This week I did my first trackings with the drum setup upstairs, new computer and interface downstairs. Things went very well, and I think my drum tracks are even better. Transferring the drum tracks into the new machine was a breeze and I'm loving the speed and dual monitors.

Having the speakers more spread is taking some getting used to, but I like the wider sound.
Rebel Yell