Bad Religion Rig Rundown

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Bad Religion Rig Rundown

Post by JD01 »

JD01

Re: Bad Religion Rig Rundown

Post by JD01 »

Short version.
They both use LP Jrs. Mike uses double cuts, Brian uses single cuts.
Mike goes into a JMP and a Mesa, Brian goes into a pair of plexis.

Neither of them use any pedals other than tuners.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I watched it early this morning. Nothing enlightening, nothing fancy, totally awesome tones with no fussing around with nonsense.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

I've never heard of them, but they have good taste in gear.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I added it to my watch list last night. It's about 40 minutes too long for my liking I'll save it for a sick day or something. I did read that brian at least switched to Juniors a few years ago though.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:49 pm It's about 40 minutes too long
They truly could have done that whole episode in about 5 minutes.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:39 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:49 pm It's about 40 minutes too long
They truly could have done that whole episode in about 5 minutes.
They Did Social Distortions in 20 mintues, and in my very biased opinion they have the granddaddy punk rock tone that more warrants a 40 minute episode. Granted they probably just got bored of Ness circumventing all the questions and pulled out. :like:

But still. :happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 pm

They Did Social Distortions in 20 mintues, and in my very biased opinion they have the granddaddy punk rock tone that more warrants a 40 minute episode. Granted they probably just got bored of Ness circumventing all the questions and pulled out. :like:

It's hard to argue against Mike Ness's guitar tone for punk rock and roll. I assume he's tired of talking about it. Bad Religion's modern sound comes pretty close. It's good. They're also both very simple and unaffected by bullshit. Coincidence? I think not!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:34 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 pm

It's hard to argue against Mike Ness's guitar tone for punk rock and roll. I assume he's tired of talking about it. Bad Religion's modern sound comes pretty close. It's good. They're also both very simple and unaffected by bullshit. Coincidence? I think not!
:confused: :confused: Interesting Point you have there.

Yes, They both sound great regardless. NO ill feelings to BR themselves. I know for sure Brian Baker takes his tone seriously. I've seen other stuff where he talks about it. I just have ah ard time finding that much time sit and watch that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:02 pm

:confused: :confused: Interesting Point you have there.

Yes, They both sound great regardless. NO ill feelings to BR themselves. I know for sure Brian Baker takes his tone seriously. I've seen other stuff where he talks about it. I just have ah ard time finding that much time sit and watch that.
Lol, yeah it's not a great video. I'm just saying that the tones we (you and I) tend to like the most are usually the simplest ones.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Bad Religion's modern sound comes pretty close. It's good. They're also both very simple and unaffected by bullshit. Coincidence? I think not!
I think the tone in the middle of the song True North is my favourite tone. Probably partly to do with the bass and the mix in this part of the song. Think it's the 2nd verse, quieter and more chuggy. Perfect.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 am
Greg_L wrote: Bad Religion's modern sound comes pretty close. It's good. They're also both very simple and unaffected by bullshit. Coincidence? I think not!
I think the tone in the middle of the song True North is my favourite tone. Probably partly to do with the bass and the mix in this part of the song. Think it's the 2nd verse, quieter and more chuggy. Perfect.
yea thats pretty much some text book tone right there Jdude. Which seems odd that so many bands can't quite nail it really. The minimalist approach is always the safest and bestest. And i can't agree more that the marriage of the guitars to the bass is paramount in that instance. Much harder to pull off than most people think :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:55 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 am
yea thats pretty much some text book tone right there Jdude. Which seems odd that so many bands can't quite nail it really. The minimalist approach is always the safest and bestest. And i can't agree more that the marriage of the guitars to the bass is paramount in that instance. Much harder to pull off than most people think :like:
Since changing up my bass tone last week I've noticed some real improvements in mixes as a whole and getting it to fit in with my guitar tone so build something more cohesive. Its like I can pick out the bass better in the mix, while the bass is actually lower on the db meter
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:40 pm
Since changing up my bass tone last week I've noticed some real improvements in mixes as a whole and getting it to fit in with my guitar tone so build something more cohesive. Its like I can pick out the bass better in the mix, while the bass is actually lower on the db meter
I told ya your old bass tone was all clackity and goofy. :lollers:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Finally got tickets to see Bad Religion again after it was cancelled due to covid.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:35 pm Finally got tickets to see Bad Religion again after it was cancelled due to covid.
Beauty!!! Enjoy JD!

I am going out to see some rock and roll in a few weeks as well. Cancer Bats are blowing thru my town. They are always a good time. thrashy.