The Fascist Tangerine

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Re: The Fascist Tangerine

Post by rayc »

That's cool. - so is the song though.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

rayc wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:30 pm Sounds good JD01. I think the drums seem a little busy or something in the middle of the stereo image but apart from that it's cool. The vocals give it a Hawkwind feel.
This ^
Great sounding mix and excellent tones happening on the guitars. Vocals well done as well. :guitarhero:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Ido,

I plan on getting the drums straightened out over the weekend at some point.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK Guys, I've straightened the drums out a bit as per rami's and other suggestions, I'm still letting the velocity wander a bit, 'cos I like the way it kinda feels like its rolling with the bassline a bit, but its much closer to a straight beat than it was.

miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Overall...well done mix.
Where the heck did the limerick lyrics come from? :P

One thing...on my dinky computer speaker, there's a noticeable bright clicking, I think it's coming form the drum track. I don't mean as in digital clicking, I think it might just be...the KIck drum clicking...?
Anyway...a bit much, but it may just be these shit speakers...I really need to run my laptop audio-out and patch it into my studio system to get more truthful monitoring.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Ah I'm glad Miro posted on this. I totally forgot to listen to the re-mix.

The drum issue is much better. It's still pumping in and out a bit but nowehre near as much as before. That is/was my only issue. I like the mix and the song besides that.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

miroslav wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:04 pm Overall...well done mix.
Where the heck did the limerick lyrics come from? :P

One thing...on my dinky computer speaker, there's a noticeable bright clicking, I think it's coming form the drum track. I don't mean as in digital clicking, I think it might just be...the KIck drum clicking...?
Anyway...a bit much, but it may just be these shit speakers...I really need to run my laptop audio-out and patch it into my studio system to get more truthful monitoring.
Cheers, Miro - the lyrics came from a bloke on YouTube who's channel I follow. They made me laugh so I told him I'd do a punk version, I think another guy did a folk version and he shouted out links to us both. I must have had all of 100 listens to it on my soundcloud of the back of that! :lollers2:

The click thing - I think its beater attack from the kick. I had listened to it in Greg's mixes and was trying to replicate it - maybe I've overdone it a bit. Tell me what you think when you listen to it properly on monitors.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:09 pm Ah I'm glad Miro posted on this. I totally forgot to listen to the re-mix.

The drum issue is much better. It's still pumping in and out a bit but nowehre near as much as before. That is/was my only issue. I like the mix and the song besides that.
Cheers Rami, I might make a few more tweaks to the drums, but I won't bore you guys with it again. I like the way the bassline rolls and I want the drums to kinda roll with the bassline a bit, might still be overdoing it again.

I quite like the way this track came together though - I read the lyrics, wrote the music and the chorus lyrics in about 5 mins and recorded it in a weekend. I just really wanted to practice doing a full mix with vocals before getting stuck back into my own songs - I've been working on my singing a lot lately - just like everything else - it takes fucking practice.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:06 pm Sounds great.

I hate to dwell on this, but those drums are still going in and out. Take a look/listen to your drums. Your snare velocities are fluctuating and it doesn't sound natural. This is the type of beat that probably doesn't need any humanizing. Those snares should all be pretty much the same volume. It sounds like you've tried too hard to make them sound "human" and they don't. Sorry man. I know I keep talking about this, and I seem to be the only one that hears it, so maybe its just me. But those snares are not right.

It's too fast for me to know for sure, but it sounds like your 1st and 4th snare hits are ok, but the 2nd and 3rd hits are lower in volume. Something like that.

Just for the sake of an expirement, try taking all velocity variations off the snare. I'm almost 100% sure it will sound better.

The tune sounds great besides that to me.
I'm echoing the velocitys thing. I think that is the fix for you right now.

JD, Zero all your velocitys in everything and then just use reapers own humanizing efforts in the midi editor, repost and let's see what that does.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 pm JD, Zero all your velocitys in everything and then just use reapers own humanizing efforts in the midi editor, repost and let's see what that does.
OK, I'll give this a go a bit later on and I might post it up again if you don't mind.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I can't hear the word c*** clearly so please up the chorus vocals by 1 db. lol
Vocals in the last part seem to be not the same level, trim the louder one back a tiny bit.
Other than that this cooks nicely, love your rhythm speed, I have trouble playing c and w let alone this type.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:56 pm I can't hear the word c*** clearly so please up the chorus vocals by 1 db. lol
Vocals in the last part seem to be not the same level, trim the louder one back a tiny bit.
Other than that this cooks nicely, love your rhythm speed, I have trouble playing c and w let alone this type.
You can actually tell what bits were recorded later 'cos my voice is warmed up so its splitting into a scream more readily. After the first chorus, the verse alternates between early takes and late takes, as does the last verse after the solo - the difference in my voice is really obvious.

Not sure what I can do about the slight differences in vocal volume really - its already squashed pretty hard - and I don't want to go splitting every vocal line onto a separate track - there's already 4 tracks 'cos I double tracked it all.

What do you mean by c and W?

Anyway, I've re-sorted the drums as Rami has been saying for ages the way Shan suggested now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Cunt and West :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

very good and a bit funny :D
Death, War, Discipline, weekends off.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

itsnotkcearl wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 am very good and a bit funny :D
Cheers, mate.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

This is pretty good Jdude, but the drums just sound "off" to me, can't put my finger on what I think it is, maybe they're just too busy during the verse??? Everything else sounds good man, & I know the drums on this have to be rockin', but I can't help to think they're just too busy during the verse...I've finally got to v4 here, & the drums sound a bit better...

The vocals need some TLC via automation to bring out each word that needs it...Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but it really makes a difference...

I'm impressed with your vocals Jdude, you've done really good here!!!

Good job overall dude, just a few little tweaks & I think you could wrap this one up...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:25 pm This is pretty good Jdude, but the drums just sound "off" to me, can't put my finger on what I think it is, maybe they're just too busy during the verse??? Everything else sounds good man, & I know the drums on this have to be rockin', but I can't help to think they're just too busy during the verse...I've finally got to v4 here, & the drums sound a bit better...

The vocals need some TLC via automation to bring out each word that needs it...Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but it really makes a difference...

I'm impressed with your vocals Jdude, you've done really good here!!!

Good job overall dude, just a few little tweaks & I think you could wrap this one up...
Cheers, miner. Glad you found the time to do some listening.