New Rack Day

DIY Studio Stuff
ocnor

New Rack Day

Post by ocnor »

Rack-1.jpg
Had to get a new rack to hold all of my shit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Armistice

Re: New Rack Day

Post by Armistice »

Nice! I was heading towards having enough stuff to put in a rack once, but then I stopped using most of it - and half and third rack stuff just doesn't look the same.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

[mention]ocnor[/mention] for those of us unfamiliar with rack stuff give us a run down of all that stuff and how you got it all running into your daw?

I see stuff like this, and Lt.bobs and tad's room with all the rack and outboard gear and realize i really live in an "in-the-box" world. Like i have an 18i20 and thats pretty much it. Everything else i have, need or want all seem to be in my the computer in the daw.

In my mind i think i'd like to have some sweet outboard preamps or something in front of my 19i20 but i also feel like that may be a waste of money and effort? I don't know.

be cool to hear how you use all that stuff.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice rack! Interesting rack fillers. List items and function please.
Cheers
rayc
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Ok here we go:
1. Art Tube Opto: It's an 8 channel tube preamp that uses 12AX7s. I've got it wired to the Motu interface with optical cable and balanced patch cables. This allows me to use the internal converters or bypass them and just use the Motu converters.
2. Motu 828 ES interface: Pretty self explanatory.
3. TC Electronic G-Major 2: It's a multi effect unit made for guitar. It also works well for pretty much anything. I've got it wired to the Motu through the SPDIF ins and outs. With the Motu routing matrix I can route the effects to pretty much any channel pre or post.
4. Digitech 2120 guitar preamp: It's a tube/digital preamp with a shit ton of effects that can be routed in any order. For a 20 year old unit it's still pretty cool.
5. Art Multiverb Alpha: It's a multi effect unit that I bought back in 1992. It was pretty state of the art back then and I used it on countless gigs. I have it in the rack because why not.
6. Palmer PDI-03: This is a classic load box/speaker simulator. You can plug the speaker out of a 100 watt head into this and run it straight into a mixer or interface. It has 1/4 and xlr emulated outs, and 1/4 non-emulated outs.

UPDATE: After posting the picture the UPS dude showed up with my Furman PL-Plus DMC power conditioner. Then I realized that I had not left an extra rack space at the top for it DOH! I had to unscrew all of the units and drop them down 1 space.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... er-ammeter
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Good looking rack! And yes, I've done the same thing before...had to pull out everything and move it up/down a space or two. Such a pain, especially if everything is already wired up!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ocnor wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 pm Rack-1.jpg
Had to get a new rack to hold all of my shit.
I have a Digitech Valve FX

https://www.noisefx.com/product_details ... _fx_kf0009

I've been meaning to break it out.
The new modelers smoke it though so on the shelf it sits.
Still, ALL thst stuff has special sounds