Let It Flow

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rammer24

Let It Flow

Post by rammer24 »

...not a tribute to the Golden Shower tapes......Completely un-related. :D

I must admit I have to catch up on listening to a few other posts here. With all the forum issues we've been having, I haven't even visited this part of the site in a while, and I see there are quite a few new tunes.

Here's one I just finished. Let me know how it sounds, what you think of the levels, etc....

https://bandzoogle.com/tracks/46904/166 ... 77833.html
TheTestingYak

Re: Let It Flow

Post by TheTestingYak »

Good Choon Brav.
Good Choon Brav.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

The difference between the big reverb part and when it comes back to drier is a little noticeable. I love the big reverb part though so the transition could use a tweak maybe. Other than that love the mix and performance is classic Rammer.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx Ido.

I know what you're saying. Just for the sake of accuracy, the reverb doesn't change. It's the delay on the vocal that goes from long and a lot to short and a bit. :)

I want those two parts to sound the way they do, one wet and one dry. I'm just not sure how to make a smoother transition, or if it needs one. I'll keep an ear for that as I listen to it.

Thanx.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Man this is really good. It reminds me of something and I can't put my finger on it. But not in a bad way. Honestly, I didn't even listen to the mix. I just listened to listen and nothing at all stuck out to me as bad, so cool!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Rami, this is all really good. It reminds me off something too, and it was nearly coming to me as I was listening to it. But now its finished I just have your song in my head - I think its The Who maybe.

Its still early in the morning here so I'm not listening in the room, just on my reference headphones and the hi-hat seems a touch intrusive - I'll listen again later though 'cos I want to listen to as much stuff as I can on the monitors and headphones back to back today anyway.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I still don't know how to do a multi-quote.

Thanx a lot, guys. If you can, listen again and let me know if the hi-hat is indeed too loud. It might be, because this is the first time I had my overheads as loud as they are. So, I might have over done it.

Thanx.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I didn't think the hats were too loud yesterday, and listening again now, they're definitely not too loud to me. They're about perfect.

What I am hearing on the hats though, now that I'm hyper-listening, is maybe some comb filtering. Maybe it's just streaming butchering them a little. They have almost a flanger like effect to them. Actually all of the cymbal crashes have that same kind of thing going on. The left crash seems to get hit pretty hard with whatever is happening. The hats too. It's not as noticeable in the right channel.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've just listened to it again on headphones and monitors (Yay, I finally have monitors) - they're not too loud, but Greg is right its almost like they have a slightly weird effect on them. It might be the stream - its a little bit reminiscent of when Soundcloud butchers your cymbals but nowhere near as bad.

Its not bad though - its still a fuck of a lot better than anything I've ever done or am likely to do in the near future.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Ok thanx guys. I'll open the REAPER file and see if the cymbals and hat are doing that, or if it's just the MP3 file. I don't have any effects on the overheads, which is where my hi-hat is coming from. So, either my overhead mic placement is causing some fuckery or hopefully it's just the file conversion. I'll get to the bottom of it....I hope. :)
Roman

Post by Roman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:37 am Man this is really good. It reminds me of something and I can't put my finger on it. But not in a bad way.
Good tune as usual. Nothing sticks out as needing attention.
Just listened on buds on my phone, but it's comparable to commercial mixes.

As to Greg's "reminds" me statement, it reminds me of Badfinger. A lot of vocal and arrangement similarities.

I've heard that character in other tunes of yours as well.
:D
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Sounds really good. I'm picking up both The Who and 10cc vibes, of all things! Maybe even a bit of Yes. :D I hope this doesn't offend you! :biggrin: Excellent harmonies. I might like to hear the melody guitar with a slightly thicker tone, but that's just being picky. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Roman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:06 pmAs to Greg's "reminds" me statement, it reminds me of Badfinger. A lot of vocal and arrangement similarities.

I've heard that character in other tunes of yours as well.
:D
Thanx Roman. Man, that's great. I love Badfinger. Well, actually I love exactly 4 of their songs, their 4 big hits. I once bought a Badfinger "Greatest Hists' album and I was so disappointed that their only good tunes were the 4 tunes that everyone knows. The rest was forgettable shit to me.

I've never thought of them as one of my influences. But considering their connection to the Beatles, I guess, by extension, it's more of a Beatles influence than a Badfinger one.

Thanx a lot.
Last edited by rammer24 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:08 pm Sounds really good. I'm picking up both The Who and 10cc vibes, of all things! Maybe even a bit of Yes. :D I hope this doesn't offend you! :biggrin: Excellent harmonies. I might like to hear the melody guitar with a slightly thicker tone, but that's just being picky. :)
Thanx a lot, Bubba. I'm never offended by that kind of thing. I love the Who, I like 10cc, and I can tolerate some Yes. So it's all good. :D
Roman

Post by Roman »

I agree on the Badfinger analysis. But hey, the good songs were actually great songs in all aspects.

I'd rather be a 4 hit wonder than a one hit wonder. And many bands never even get to the one hit status. :D

Go to any used cd store, and you'll go who the fuck are some of these people! :D

Anyway we are all, if we admit it, or even know it, a product of our influences.

And yours have been good to you.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Roman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:13 pm I agree on the Badfinger analysis. But hey, the good songs were actually great songs in all aspects.

I'd rather be a 4 hit wonder than a one hit wonder. And many bands never even get to the one hit status. :D

Go to any used cd store, and you'll go who the fuck are some of these people! :D

Anyway we are all, if we admit it, or even know it, a product of our influences.

And yours have been good to you.
Thanx man. I agree about their 4 good tunes. They're all great songs. I guess we can say 4 and a half songs because they also wrote and recorded "Without You". But their version isn't the best one.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I like more than 4 Badfinger songs but more than that I love their live sound and the great guitar tone they have under their songs. Rami, the intro was quite different for a Rami song - UNTIL the bass came in then it was sonic signature time. A very cool song and the recording/mixing is way better than a heap of stuff I've bought.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I can't think of one Badfinger song. Lol. Do I dare Google them?
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Why not? It won't kill ya. :D
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Roman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 pm Why not? It won't kill ya. :D
But there may be serious psychological damage. Just saying.
Haggard Musician :mad: