New Mic Day

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
ocnor

New Mic Day

Post by ocnor »

I figured that it was about time for a new dynamic mic to go along with my new interface. After extensive research, I finally decided on a Shure Beta 57A.
I also got a cab grabber which seems to clamp on to the Marshall nicely. I'll post a clip over in the Tone thread.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Re: New Mic Day

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 pm I figured that it was about time for a new dynamic mic to go along with my new interface. After extensive research, I finally decided on a Shure Beta 57A.
I also got a cab grabber which seems to clamp on to the Marshall nicely. I'll post a clip over in the Tone thread.
Cool - what's the difference between that and an SM57.
I'm actually after a new mic, mainly for vocals, but I'm thinking a dynamic might be the way to go.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:43 pm
ocnor wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 pm I figured that it was about time for a new dynamic mic to go along with my new interface. After extensive research, I finally decided on a Shure Beta 57A.
Cool - what's the difference between that and an SM57.
I'm actually after a new mic, mainly for vocals, but I'm thinking a dynamic might be the way to go.
The Eq curve of the Beta57 is quite different from the SM57. The Beta 58 would be better for vocals. I've used the Beta 58 before and it is a really nice mic. I might get one myself.
sm57frequency.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

What are those dotted lines at 200hz on the Beta? I don't have the resolution on this monitor to make it out.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:58 pm What are those dotted lines at 200hz on the Beta? I don't have the resolution on this monitor to make it out.
That shows the proximity effect at various distances.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:58 pm What are those dotted lines at 200hz on the Beta? I don't have the resolution on this monitor to make it out.
Probably the frequency bump from when the singer decides to cup the mic. :crazy: :guru: :lollers2:

live sound guy issues :punk:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, I should probably be more careful about choking myself with the bloody thing while I sing anyway.