Strymon Volante

Got a cool pedal you want to tell the world about? Maybe an over hyped plugin that wasn't worth the bandwidth to download? Leave all your reviews in here to share with present and future rebels!
Armistice

Strymon Volante

Post by Armistice »

I'll fill this out when I get a bit more time next week, renovations are a major time sucker at the moment - but I'd have to say I'm liking it so far.

It is surprisingly easy to use for something with a lot of knobs and switches. There are some hidden functions I haven't gotten into yet, but as a stomp box, once you understand it, it's actually pretty simple. I also have a Big Sky and Timeline from Strymon and they're a bit scary - this isn't at all - no display, no menus.

A delay pedal with a couple of extra tonal possibilities which are pretty easy to understand, and a nice spring reverb simulation to boot.

I'm sure you can go berserk with it as an ambient noise generator but it's a pretty handy delay/echo if you like those sort of noises. And you can store 8 favourites in it - albeit you have to lean down and fiddle with knobs to engage them - you can't do it with your feet, but if you were seriously using it live you can probably add a controller pedal to switch patches.

So yeah - not much of a review without some noises, but I'll have to get back to you on that.
Lt. Bob

Re: Strymon Volante

Post by Lt. Bob »

Looking forward to it.
For all the zillion pedals I have and have had, I've never had a Strymon and it seems like ALL their stuff is bad-ass.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I didn't realise that you had all of these:

Big Sky - a super fancy reverb with options for everything.
Tmeline - a super fancy delay that can basically do whatever you like.
Volante - Multi-echo that basically does anything you might want.

Now these are all really good with loads of options, but there's also superficial similarities between them too. I'm sure the Timeline can do good echo effects, I bet the Volante can do good reverb and even take a stab at delay and does the big sky also do echo?

I'm just curious about how you string all of these together, what you use them for, what order you put them in and stuff.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

There's certainly some overlap now... not so much pre-Volante - I'll have to see how it works out. I don't string them together, so far I've only used them in recording singly. I don't look at them so much as pedals as sound generators - I can sit and noodle away and they inspire ideas.

I tried to get the Volante into the recording chain today to put some clips up but clearly I've forgotten something about the Kemper's numerous output/input configurations and it wasn't working as intended, so I'll kick that can down the road until early next week when I can dig out the Kemper manual and have a read - I did it before when I was recording but clearly I've forgotten something. Don't really have time right now. It worked fine as guitar /Volante / Kemper / interface in glorious mono, but I was trying to get guitar / Kemper / Volante / interface happening to get stereo. :mad3:

Anyway I have appliances being delivered and then a floor being re-sanded next week, all going according to plan, so I may not even get to it then. I have a work thing I've been hoodwinked into playing the week after, so I'm spending most of my musical time at the moment relearning songs, and next week I'll have to haul the PA and the multi-effect and work out how to drive all that again before the "gig" the following Tuesday.

I'll get there eventually! Watch this space. :wink:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Hokay - two weeks on and I finally get the studio reassembled and functioning and have an hour to sit down with new toy.

A couple of random tuny things more or less made up on the spot and without too much thought going into the settings on the Volante ...

Volante 1.mp3
Volante 2.mp3
Volante 3.mp3
I shall dig into it a bit more during the week I hope now that I have the apartment largely under control again. :like:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Sounds lush n lovely.
Too many options for me.
Oddly I've actually found I like using my ultra cheap spring reverb style pedal.
Normally i pull out a pedal for a purpose but this last week or two I've been using the little thing each time I strap on a guitar - it's providing inspiration at the moment.
I know you know how to use these clever devices and how to do amazing things with them. I'm just a philistine.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

nice sounding pedal man!