Does this 2-mic setup work better than my previous 2-mic recordings?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Greg_L

Re: How about 4 mics now instead of two (Does this 2-mic setup work...)?

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:58 am

Neither of these experiments is mixed more than phase-checking and adjusting levels, but I'm liking both of these better than the 2-mic setups I tried before. What do you all think? Any preference between the two?
I think it's good you're doing this. I think I prefer the cardioid overhead option.

If you want the best out of this new setup though, you're gonna have to enter the wormhole. You're getting into infinite variable territory with overheads. There are about a dozen commonly used miking techniques for overheads. They all work, and they all work well, and they all sound different. You're gonna have to find the pattern and distance that works best for your own room.

Or...just keep it simple and use a spaced pair in cardioid. Look up the "recorderman method". It's a good overhead setup for 4 non-matched mics.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Re: How about 4 mics now instead of two (Does this 2-mic setup work...)?

Post by SweetDan »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:07 pm ...Look up the "recorderman method". It's a good overhead setup for 4 non-matched mics.
Tried it out (I had tried it before w/only 2 mics as well); here's the results:
song_in_64_kick_snare_recman.mp3
song_in_64_kick_snare_recman_drumBus.mp3

Both overhead mics have a low-cut switch, which I engaged for this tracking session. (Edit: clarity of wording)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂