First Day Of My Life - Indie Folk cover by Greg?

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Greg_L

First Day Of My Life - Indie Folk cover by Greg?

Post by Greg_L »

My wife asked me to cover this fucking lame ass Conor Oberst song, so I did. Never heard of this guy before. Wish I'd stayed that way. :spacepalm:

First Day Of My Life

Tell me what you think. :headwall:
Last edited by Greg_L on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Re: First Day Of My Life - Indie Folk cover by Greg?

Post by rayc »

I had to look up the song & singer on Utub as I'd not heard it or of it. I'm glad you did this recording as it wiped the tripe from my ears. it's an appalling song and his performance is possibly worse than the song.
You do the 6 string banjo well.
I like the indie punk folk sound but even your skills can't disguise the rubbish that the song is.
Cheers
rayc
Roman

Post by Roman »

Omg!:guitar solos in there! :D and a banjo?

Dont know the original, but thought it was pretty good.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:55 pm I had to look up the song & singer on Utub as I'd not heard it or of it. I'm glad you did this recording as it wiped the tripe from my ears. it's an appalling song and his performance is possibly worse than the song.
I like the indie punk folk sound but even your skills can't disguise the rubbish that the song is.
Haha thanks Ray. The sad thing is I gotta take her to see this guy in March. Sad for me. It's gonna be tough. I took her to see some other acoustic wimpy singer/songwriter guy named Damien Rice about a year ago and it was brutal. I'd never been to a show where you just sat there in absolute silence and listened to people sniff and cough while a musician is performing. One lady sitting next to my wife was so moved she was literally eating her hair. I kid you not - this grown fucking woman was crying and eating her fucking hair. I guess it's a win for Damien Rice to fill a place with superfan crying hair eaters, but goddamn.... :facepalm2:

It's all quite different from punk rock show.

Roman wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:40 am Omg!:guitar solos in there! :D and a banjo?

Thanks man. Do those qualify as guitar solos? :metal:

The banjo is actually a guitarjo/banjitar. A Banjo body and build but with a guitar neck on it. Plays like a guitar, sounds like a banjo. It's fun to play. I play guitar style with a regular pick, but if you work it right you can make it sound close enough to some rolling hillbilly finger picking.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:51 am
rayc wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:55 pm I had to look up the song & singer on Utub as I'd not heard it or of it. I'm glad you did this recording as it wiped the tripe from my ears. it's an appalling song and his performance is possibly worse than the song.
Haha thanks Ray. The sad thing is I gotta take her to see this guy in March. Sad for me. It's gonna be tough. I took her to see some other acoustic wimpy singer/songwriter guy named Damien Rice about a year ago and it was brutal. I'd never been to a show where you just sat there in absolute silence and listened to people sniff and cough while a musician is performing. One lady sitting next to my wife was so moved she was literally eating her hair. I kid you not - this grown fucking woman was crying and eating her fucking hair. I guess it's a win for Damien Rice to fill a place with superfan crying hair eaters, but goddamn.... :facepalm2:

It's all quite different from punk rock show.

Roman wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:40 am Omg!:guitar solos in there! :D and a banjo?

Thanks man. Do those qualify as guitar solos? :metal:

The banjo is actually a guitarjo/banjitar. A Banjo body and build but with a guitar neck on it. Plays like a guitar, sounds like a banjo. It's fun to play. I play guitar style with a regular pick, but if you work it right you can make it sound close enough to some rolling hillbilly finger picking.
Take beer with you. I was taken to an old folkie gig a few weeks ago. Drank lots of beer.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'll do better than beer. I'm gonna need something a little more....opioid.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:30 am I'll do better than beer. I'm gonna need something a little more....opioid.
LOL - you won't need that at a folkie gig - it will be sedative enough!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:41 am
LOL - you won't need that at a folkie gig - it will be sedative enough!
That's not good for me. Besides just hating the music, these folkie gigs are too quiet and intimate. It makes me uncomfortable. I hate the people. I hate the quiet hair eating. I hate the dumb emotional intimacy these people have with some lamefuck hipster with an acoustic guitar. I hate it all. It's all so foreign to me. It's a bizarro kind of power and energy that I can't relate to. If it didn't make my wife happy I'd never in a million years attend one of these fucking things. I'm fucking pissed just typing about it. :lollers:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I can see how you might feel a bit uncomfortable at a gig like that. I don't mind it too much - but sometimes you feel like you're being watched as much as the fucking performer... and I just don't get caught up in the sort of weird collective emotion of it all and its kind of embarassing to be sitting there a bit bored when everyone else is getting swept away with emotion.
Its like when princess fucking diana died and everyone went into some weird collective grief - I remember my mum looking at me like some sort of monster 'cos I wasn't upset by it too!

Just listening to your version of it, when I heard the intro I thought you were going to play it totally straight for a minute... then it starts to sound exactly like BR! Good solo! Musical, good phrasing.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

We went to another one not long ago....can't remember his name...Joshua something. Of course his fucking name is "Joshua". Anyway, it was at a mega-overpriced hipster "man store" called Manready Mercantile. Even the fucking name is smug douchebaggery. This shop was very rustic, very woody, like literally everything was made of reclaimed wood and tree stumps, very leathery, and it smelled like man-spices and shaving balms. Blacksmith shit everywhere. True hard denim jeans. Straight razors and boots and man-candles and all sorts of super dumb modern rustic man shit. All of the light bulbs were like something Thomas Edison would have made and used. All of the windows were a wavy handmade glass that gave you a headache to look through. I joked to my wife beforehand that I was gonna buy a leather case for a flask because that's just the most fucking hipster thing ever, and sure enough, there was a whole fucking table lined with leather flask cases! Oh my God. I just daydreamed some dumb hipster product and sure as fuck they had bunches of them.

Anyway, this was a very small intimate acoustic folk gathering. Maybe 50-75 people. And these were people that I'd never associate with. These people brought their own wines, and pillows to sit on, and they all took their shoes off, and they cuddled and read books before the "show", and before the music even started I was ready to set the place on fire. I was anxious and uneasy in probably the most non-threatening environment ever. Not my scene at all. But....they had, of course, Texas handmade homemade whiskey. And it was free. All I had to do was, again, of course, break off my own chunks of ice from a giant block because regular ice is just too average. I have no idea what makes a good or bad whiskey, but I drank a ton of it. Some people sipped their whiskey between sips of wine. I slammed glassfulls like it really was the old west and I was about to shoot that fucking place all to hell.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 am I have no idea what makes a good or bad whiskey, but I drank a ton of it. Some people sipped their whiskey between sips of wine. I slammed glassfulls like it really was the old west and I was about to shoot that fucking place all to hell.
haha, Greg, have you watched WestWorld on HBO? You'd love it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:17 am its kind of embarassing to be sitting there a bit bored when everyone else is getting swept away with emotion.
It's very funny you'd say that because at the Damien Rice show the woman of the couple sitting behind my wife and me whispered to her male companion "This guy is an emotionless animal"....referring to me because I just sat there like a lump. I didn't clap or cry or eat my hair, so I was an emotionless animal. I didn't hear her say this, not that she's wrong, I am indeed an emotionless animal, but had I heard it the show would have gotten a lot more exciting. My wife heard it and turned around and shot her a look. They got up and moved somewhere else. I had no idea what was going on until afterwards. I saw my wife glare at these people, but didn't know why. I just figured she had whatever it was handled. She told me about it afterwards. I was mad that she didn't tell me right away, but also amused by the whole thing and she knows what would have happened. She's a lot like me in that she doesn't like those people, but she likes that shit music. I would have ruined the fuck out of the whole night if I'd known.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 am I was anxious and uneasy in probably the most non-threatening environment ever. Not my scene at all.
Proper fish out of water syndrome. Can you imagine how those beardy corduroy wearing guys would feel at a Pennywise show?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 am
haha, Greg, have you watched WestWorld on HBO? You'd love it.
Never heard of it.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:41 am
Proper fish out of water syndrome. Can you imagine how those beardy corduroy wearing guys would feel at a Pennywise show?
I wouldn't know. I've never seen Pennywise.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 amThese people brought their own wines, and pillows to sit on, and they all took their shoes off, and they cuddled and read books before the "show"
LOL! And that was just the men.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

This is great! The intro had me wondering who you were and what you did with Greg. Then you showed up. I might go listen to the original just out of curiosoty. But I'm sure this version kiks its' ass.

I got to catch up. With all the forum problems, I haven't even visited this section in a while.
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

Gud Choon Brav.
Good Choon Brav.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

That gitbanjo sounds cool Greg and covers a lot of ground sonically (as in fills it up nicely). Using your LPC on this one?
I glanced at your thread about vocals being a mix issue. Umm no, unless you've got something else in mind I can't see these being the topic, these are great.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Thanks a lot guys.

Ido - yup this is all the LPC. It's so great now. It's the only guitar I've used on the last 3 songs I've posted in here.
Rebel Yell