Today's Delivery

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

Wish

Today's Delivery

Post by Wish »

Well, looky what showed up in the mail today.

I will be wiring these up tomorrow.

:punk:

Thanks, muttley! They look great....high quality build. The packaging is great too.

Nice job!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musicturtle

Re: Today's Delivery

Post by musicturtle »

Sweet!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Dannnggggggggggg. I cant be certain but i feel like these are the first "Doghouse" branded pups i have seen. Looking good [mention]Wish[/mention] and [mention]muttley[/mention] love it!!!!
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

nice p'ups!!

Nice git too
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

So what kind of spec are these things?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nice. What spec are they?
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 am :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

So what kind of spec are these things?
We chatted a little via PM and came up with a spec that wasnt exactly part of the new doghouse range but are very close to miners HardHead Bucker. Well at least the bridge is. That pup now has a neck pup to match. The eagle eyed among you will also notice that Wish wanted one screw bobbin black and one cream. Normally they would be both one or the other. I believe this is to mirror the sister guitar he made previously.

Bridge 52mm - 9.3k Alnico 5
Neck - 8.2k Alnico 5

Both on nickle silver baseplates with vintage braided pullback wire and lightly potted.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice, I bet those bad boys scream.
Rebel Yell
Wish

Post by Wish »

Yeah... I need to get busy...lol. No progress has been made on the wiring.

It’s been a lazy Sunday so far.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Wish wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 pm Yeah... I need to get busy...lol. No progress has been made on the wiring.

It’s been a lazy Sunday so far.
Well look who's back!

Saw you on the "now online" list the other day. 17 posts dude. Lift yer game... :coolstorybro: :biggrin:
Wish

Post by Wish »

Hah!

Guilty as charged. I haven’t been a frequent visitor here. I’m more of an A&A guy....but wanted to post about mutt's pickups here, as no one seems to give a shit on A&A about them....lol.

Anyways....Saturday is the day for soldering these pups. My wife is out of town in CA. We also had our 5 year old granddaughter stay with us over last weekend...but no grandkids this weekend.

So....it's Saturday.

I suck at soldering...it ain't gonna be pretty, but the connections will be solid.

More to come. Promise. Pinky swear.

Would I lie to you?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

muttley wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:40 am We chatted a little via PM and came up with a spec that wasnt exactly part of the new doghouse range but are very close to miners HardHead Bucker. Well at least the bridge is. That pup now has a neck pup to match. The eagle eyed among you will also notice that Wish wanted one screw bobbin black and one cream. Normally they would be both one or the other. I believe this is to mirror the sister guitar he made previously.

Neck - 8.2k Alnico 5

Both on nickle silver baseplates with vintage braided pullback wire and lightly potted.
It's very cool that the Hard Head p'up is still evolving, now with a full size 'bucker match to boot, but it's even cooler that I have the first/original, which started out as an idea kicking around with the dust in my noggin'...I've been playing the strat today, & even after all this time, I'm still very impressed with that guitar, every single time I plug it in...It's just incredible plugged into the Chupacabra... :biggrin:

Congrats on the p'ups Wish, now get busy with the install...It ain't hard, if I can do it, anybody can... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:45 am
muttley wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:40 am We chatted a little via PM and came up with a spec that wasnt exactly part of the new doghouse range but are very close to miners HardHead Bucker. Well at least the bridge is. That pup now has a neck pup to match. The eagle eyed among you will also notice that Wish wanted one screw bobbin black and one cream. Normally they would be both one or the other. I believe this is to mirror the sister guitar he made previously.

Neck - 8.2k Alnico 5

It's very cool that the Hard Head p'up is still evolving, now with a full size 'bucker match to boot, but it's even cooler that I have the first/original, which started out as an idea kicking around with the dust in my noggin'...I've been playing the strat today, & even after all this time, I'm still very impressed with that guitar, every single time I plug it in...It's just incredible plugged into the Chupacabra... :biggrin:

Congrats on the p'ups Wish, now get busy with the install...It ain't hard, if I can do it, anybody can... :minernuggs:
Would you recommend something like those for like, a squire strat. one that was found in a landfill? I know nothing about strats really. But when i get around to it i wan't to take that dumpstercaster of mine and fix it up so it is a bit more playable.
Wish wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 pm I suck at soldering...it ain't gonna be pretty, but the connections will be solid.
LOL I do too! I have a whole thread about soldering help here somewhere. Worth a look if felt up to it. :like:
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:38 am
Would you recommend something like those for like, a squire strat. one that was found in a landfill? I know nothing about strats really. But when i get around to it i wan't to take that dumpstercaster of mine and fix it up so it is a bit more playable.
Lol, I'm totally sure anything Mutt makes would be an improvement for a guitar you found in a landfill there Shan... :lollers:

Seriously though, I can't recommend Mutt's pickups enough, they've transformed my so-so, average MIM strat into a serious tone machine that impresses me every time I pick it up...The humbucker tones are just great with snarl & bite, but clean up really well with the volume rolled back...When using the coil split (I used push/pull on each volume knob for both p'ups), it's got sort of a combination of SRV-ish/Hendrix-y/Malcom-ish all rolled into one kinda thing going on, that just totally still blows me away, because I didn't expect it, at all...So in short, the Hard Head Humbucker I have can go from Angus, to EVH, plus way more, but it can also do a true strat/single coil tone like SRV/Hendrix with the coil split...

Now, on your "dumpstercaster" (cool name), it will depend on how the body is routed...If it's only routed to fit single coils, then you'd obviously either have to use what fits, or break out a router/dremel/whatever to make a humbucker size work...The neck p'up in my strat is a twin-blade, single sized humbucker, but it's still just a tad bigger than a regular single coil...

One great thing about a strat is the pickguard...If you're a hack like me, & need to do some body routing, as long as you don't go off the deep end with the routing, the pickguard will hide pretty much anything...Another great thing is the fact that it doesn't have to sound like a strat, unless you want it to...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Wish

Post by Wish »

Dammit...I just found out the the Rockin' Taco Fest is tomorrow in Chandler.

https://www.rockintacoaz.com

What to do? What to do?

Shitty soldering or tacos and beer and bands and scantily clad women?

What to do? What to do?

Soldering might move to Sunday.

:k:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Wish wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 pm

I suck at soldering...it ain't gonna be pretty, but the connections will be solid.
The bigger the blob, the better the job. :cool: :coolstorybro:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Wish wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 pm Dammit...I just found out the the Rockin' Taco Fest is tomorrow in Chandler.

https://www.rockintacoaz.com

What to do? What to do?

Shitty soldering or tacos and beer and bands and scantily clad women?

What to do? What to do?

Soldering might move to Sunday.

:k:
Tough choice, but I'd probably move the soldering to Sunday too...

Keep us informed on your progress...I'm really interested in hearing your impression of Mutt's work when you get it all squared away... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Wish

Post by Wish »

I had four tacos, and a few beers at the Taco Fest. Yum.

They just had DJs playing shit....I was too early for any of the bands, I guess, and it was pretty hot, so I didn’t stay long.

The soldering has started.

I got a solid start, but will probably finish up tomorrow.

More to come manana.

How the hell does this place not have a popcorn eating emoji??!!?? Somebody should fix that oversight.

:cool:
Wish

Post by Wish »

I got a lot of the pots wiring done tonight. Just need to wire the pups to the volume pots, ground wire from bridge, output from 3 way switch to tone pot, and the output jack, I think that is six more connections to solder if I did the math right.

It should make some noise tomorrow.

:jam:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wish

Post by Wish »

Bubba wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am
Wish wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 pm

The bigger the blob, the better the job. :cool: :coolstorybro:
Hahahaha...yes...pretty much...

:lollers: