Today's Delivery

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

Wish

Re: Today's Delivery

Post by Wish »

We have noise!

I am not going to get much play time on the guitar today, but the pups sound really good to my ears. Everything worked the first time after I got the last connections soldered up, so that’s always a nice surprise!

:biggrin:

The high E string snapped when I was tuning up, so I need to replace the strings...another reason why there won't be much play time tonight, because the restring isn't happening tonight.

The thing that sticks out to me is the clarity....even with some high gain...I like it. I need to adjust pick up and pole height, and I will mess with that when I restring the guitar. I have 5 other guitars with humbuckers, and these pickups definitely will add another flavor of tone.

I’ll see if I can record some sound samples next weekend.

Anyways, three thumbs up so far.

Oh wait....one of those isn’t a thumb.

:punk:
Wish

Post by Wish »

Here are the twins.

The tele guitar has SD Slash reverse zebra pickups...the newer guitar build with the mutt pups has been dubbed the "evil twin" so some things are opposite of the tele, like the pickup covers, but they also have a lot of design elements in common.

I have two daughters and each will get one of these. I need to make plans for the other 15 guitars.

:coolstorybro:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wish

Post by Wish »

My daughter's aren’t twins, but I sure know which one will get the "evil twin" guitar!

:minernuggs:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

awesome gits man!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice looking guitars! Looking forward to the clips of those mutt pups.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Congrats on the install!!! Great looking guitars... :minernuggs:

I keep going on & on about Mutt's p'ups, but they really are great IMHO...The bridge p'up you have is basically what I have in my strat, & it kills...

[mention]Wish[/mention] : Did you happen to use a coil split on the install??? The split coil sound is what took me by surprise, the sound was just totally unexpected & so good, I can't brag on it enough...If you didn't put a coil split function I highly recommend doing so, especially with the strat you have it in...

Again, congrats on the install, & those are some great looking guitars dude!!!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Those two look really nice, mate.
Wish

Post by Wish »

Here's a photo shoot of the tele style guitar I made last year. It was the first one I ever built, and it came out so much better than I even imagined.

Nice wood.

:cool:
Wish

Post by Wish »

Minerman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:52 am Congrats on the install!!! Great looking guitars... :minernuggs:

I keep going on & on about Mutt's p'ups, but they really are great IMHO...The bridge p'up you have is basically what I have in my strat, & it kills...

@Wish : Did you happen to use a coil split on the install??? The split coil sound is what took me by surprise, the sound was just totally unexpected & so good, I can't brag on it enough...If you didn't put a coil split function I highly recommend doing so, especially with the strat you have it in...

Again, congrats on the install, & those are some great looking guitars dude!!!
No coil split....And no option to split them...I had muttley make the pups with only the hot and braided ground...not four wire. I really didn’t have any interest in splitting the coils, but I am glad you like yours.

I had originally wired up this guitar with SD p-rails with the triple shot pickup rings, push/pull pots on both volume pots and the tone pot for single coil and humbucker modes (250k VS 500k on the volume pots and different cap values on the tone pot).....I totally struggled with the wiring on that, but finally got it figured out. I had never wired the push/pull pots before, so there was a learning curve. :facepalm2:

I forget how many combinations were possible, but it was like 160, or something ridiculous like that....and I just didn't like the complexity at all. It was just too much. I put a lot of work into it, but I just didn’t like the set up, so I pulled those electronics out and contacted mutt for some different pickups, and a simpler set up....volume, volume, tone, and three way pickup selector.

Here are the pickups I removed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wish

Post by Wish »

And thanks all, for the nice comments on the guitars!
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Wish wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:58 pm No coil split....And no option to split them...I had muttley make the pups with only the hot and braided ground...not four wire. I really didn’t have any interest in splitting the coils, but I am glad you like yours.

I had originally wired up this guitar with SD p-rails with the triple shot pickup rings, push/pull pots on both volume pots and the tone pot for single coil and humbucker modes (250k VS 500k on the volume pots and different cap values on the tone pot).....I totally struggled with the wiring on that, but finally got it figured out. I had never wired the push/pull pots before, so there was a learning curve. :facepalm2:

I forget how many combinations were possible, but it was like 160, or something ridiculous like that....and I just didn't like the complexity at all. It was just too much. I put a lot of work into it, but I just didn’t like the set up, so I pulled those electronics out and contacted mutt for some different pickups, and a simpler set up....volume, volume, tone, and three way pickup selector.

Here are the pickups I removed.
Well dude, to each his own, that's what makes us all who we are...It's all good... :minernuggs:

Wiring the coil split on a push/pull pot isn't hard, this was my 2nd or 3rd p'up install & I pulled it off...Like I've said, if I can do it, anyone can...

FWIW, my strat is 2 humbuckers wired to 2 volume & one tone, with a 3-way switch...It's my favorite guitar since I re-worked it...

Post some sound clips when you get a chance... :guitarhero:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Wish wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:39 pm Here's a photo shoot of the tele style guitar I made last year. It was the first one I ever built, and it came out so much better than I even imagined.

Nice wood.

:cool:
Did you build the neck too? Just out of curiosity?
:happytrees:
Wish

Post by Wish »

Yep.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Nice work [mention]Wish[/mention]!

Beautiful instruments.
Wish

Post by Wish »

I built both of these guitars at a local community college (Mesa Community College) They have a guitar building class, disguised as an Electronics 101 class. :biggrin: I was on a waiting list for over two years to get in to the class.

The class starts off with a guitar kit....They have a selection of body styles, and you pick out the body, neck, and fretboard wood of what you want to build. I upgraded all the hardware and electronics.

Here are some pics from what I started with.

Wish

Post by Wish »

It was more of a wood shop class, than an electronics class...lol.

95% wood shop

5% electronics
Wish

Post by Wish »

More of the neck build. Abalone inlays and side dots installed.

Wish

Post by Wish »

Oh...and the fretboard was radiused.
Wish

Post by Wish »

Fret install!

lol...are you guys tired of me yet?

:biggrin:

Wish

Post by Wish »

Body work...I used Tru oil for the finish....a lot of coats....

This is my last post for tonight.

:coolstorybro: