Recording Challenge #3 (Write a song in the ' Raga None' Scale)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
JD01

Re: Recording Challenge #3

Post by JD01 »

Here you go - He's mine.
I actually found this scale quite awkward to do anything with... I chose a random scale where it was possible to form a decent number of major and minor triads.. but I found this one quite difficult to use and didn't really like the sound of the quirky bits in it... but I wanted to chose one that I'd never used before to make the challenge fair.
Chal 3 Mix 1.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice. You managed to get it sounding very in line with your usual song.

Interesting that a number of us were able to get that kind of result.

The lyric very much have that "life is like soccer in that my mom signed me up and expects me to do my best even tho I don't particularly like soccer" vibe.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:34 am Nice. You managed to get it sounding very in line with your usual song.

Interesting that a number of us were able to get that kind of result.

The lyric very much have that "life is like soccer in that my mom signed me up and expects me to do my best even tho I don't particularly like soccer" vibe.
Kinda yeah! haha. Bubba actually made me think of it... when he said that he's not interested in this challenge at all, knew that it wouldn't work for him and he wouldn't find it inspiring... but he wasn't willing to even try it. But yeah, you got the general vibe.

Did you find the same as me - writing a vocal melody and then actually singing it was a right pain in the arse 'cos you're using intervals that you wouldn't normally.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD,

Guitars turned out really good on this one man. really good. The tone on your solo sounds super good!! Thats pat on the back worthy dude. All the sounds sound great actually. Bass sounds really good to despite your issues with the wiring lol. It kind of does sound like something you would have written regardless. It has that JD flavor all over it. And with no way of really knowing if you followed all your choose your own adventure rules i can't comment on how well you stuck to the script? but i can only assume where you picked the challenge you did it justice? I am really no voice on anything but the mix and song as whole.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Unless I've made a mistake I've stuck to the rules!
The solo is just a TubeScreamer... so nothing out of the ordinary there.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:04 pm
Did you find the same as me - writing a vocal melody and then actually singing it was a right pain in the arse 'cos you're using intervals that you wouldn't normally.
A few times, yeah. There were a lot of Es that I wanted to sing, which is basically THE note you're not allowed to use in D raga. If you A/B my first demo with the final mix, you might be able to spot them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:27 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:04 pm
A few times, yeah. There were a lot of Es that I wanted to sing, which is basically THE note you're not allowed to use in D raga. If you A/B my first demo with the final mix, you might be able to spot them.
I was having the same problem with singing B... felt like it was supposed t9 be there but wasn't.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:13 pm Here you go - He's mine.
I actually found this scale quite awkward to do anything with... I chose a random scale where it was possible to form a decent number of major and minor triads.. but I found this one quite difficult to use and didn't really like the sound of the quirky bits in it... but I wanted to chose one that I'd never used before to make the challenge fair.

Chal 3 Mix 1.mp3
Very cool JD.

I agree with the others that it sounds very much like you. I think the rhythmic make up of the song is mainly why. You have a certain signature groove that is prevalent in most of you stuff. Great sounding guitars.

I am still in the process of writing mine. But it's coming.

Good work.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:52 am

Chal 3 Mix 1.mp3
Very cool JD.

I agree with the others that it sounds very much like you. I think the rhythmic make up of the song is mainly why. You have a certain signature groove that is prevalent in most of you stuff. Great sounding guitars.

I am still in the process of writing mine. But it's coming.

Good work.
Cheers, Tony. Yours should be interesting if you go for your usual picked acoustic style.

The chorus guitars were quite basic, one is the crunch channel of my amp. The other is a Klon into the clean channel. The solo is just a TS on the crunch channel.

The verse guitars are more complicated. Varying amounts of overdrive, chorus, phaser and delay.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Chal 3 Mix 1.mp3
Wow, fantastic! Great job on the vocals on this one JD. Love both the verse and chorus melodies and performances. Guitars sound great as usual. Nice moving bass line too. Nice job all around!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Chal 3 Mix 1.mp3
Wow, fantastic! Great job on the vocals on this one JD. Love both the verse and chorus melodies and performances. Guitars sound great as usual. Nice moving bass line too. Nice job all around!
Cheers Tad. I love this amp, it always sounds great.