Recording Challenge #3 (Write a song in the ' Raga None' Scale)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
musicturtle

Re: Recording Challenge #3

Post by musicturtle »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:29 pm OK I don't think that this is going to get any more done, so here is what I came up with. Vocals could use some retracking but I'm so dang sick of this song that I'm just going to let it go :) Sorry about the deafeningly loud mix, I got carried away with Waves L2.

20190905-010.mp3
Cool Tad, it has an evil George Harrison feel to it for me(if that's even possible LOL). Nice work.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:13 pm Cool Tad, it has an evil George Harrison feel to it for me(if that's even possible LOL). Nice work.
Haha I'll definitely accept that :D Thank you, man. This was a fun one, I'm looking forward to seeing what everybody comes up with in this scale!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Ha! Somebody from the other forum has chimed in!

JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:40 am Ha! Somebody from the other forum has chimed in!

really? who's that?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Interesting.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:50 am
really? who's that?
Frank1985. not really familiar with the guy.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:39 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:50 am
really? who's that?
Tell him to pop over.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:05 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Tell him to pop over.
If i were a betting man i would say he probably already does. lol.
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:29 pm OK I don't think that this is going to get any more done, so here is what I came up with. Vocals could use some retracking but I'm so dang sick of this song that I'm just going to let it go :) Sorry about the deafeningly loud mix, I got carried away with Waves L2.

20190905-010.mp3
Man, this is great! I really enjoyed this! Good song, good sounds, great mix. Nice work!
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:35 pm I am still no further ahead on this one. I have read it and read it and it makes literally no sense to me and if anything i am more ocnfused thna i was with the OP. I may have to sit this one out.
Totally. I cant be fucked to try to understand this shit. It sometimes sounds like I may know what I'm doing, but I dont at all :facepalm: :happytrees:

Good luck with this one ya'll! I'll do the next one as long as it's not like this!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:35 am I'm definitely gonna take a stab at this one at least. Just gotta find some time.

Edit:

Alright, written. Now let's track if for real.

I didn't really verify that the vocal parts are all technically in key. They sound good, and the guitar chords are all correct.

Lol the vocal parts are definitely better than the chords! I like it. Nice job. You gonna keep it and redo it with normal chords that don't sound out of tune? I can hear it in my head as a full-bore Regdar weirdo tune.

20190905-010.mp3
Man this is really cool. You did a good job turning this shit scale into a usable song. Great drumming too. You seem to have improved a lot. Good bashing there when you turned the beat around. I love it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:30 am You did a good job turning this shit scale into a usable song.
Therein lies the challenge...

To be fair, I didn't realise this scale was gonna be quite this shit! I chose it at random without testing it to make the challenge fair. I'm finding it really hard to write any sort of lead melody that doesn't just sound like out of tune shite.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:02 pm
Therein lies the challenge...

To be fair, I didn't realise this scale was gonna be quite this shit! I chose it at random without testing it to make the challenge fair. I'm finding it really hard to write any sort of lead melody that doesn't just sound like out of tune shite.
Judging by [mention]vomitHatSteve[/mention] and [mention]Tadpui[/mention] songs, the key might be to use the scale as minimally as possible so the song can sound like a song.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:13 am Man, this is great! I really enjoyed this! Good song, good sounds, great mix. Nice work!
Thanks Liv, I really appreciate that, man!
Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:30 am Man this is really cool. You did a good job turning this shit scale into a usable song. Great drumming too. You seem to have improved a lot. Good bashing there when you turned the beat around. I love it.
Haha thanks Greg! If you could only see how many takes it took me to nail that 2 minute drum part, you'd get a good laugh :D

I actually enjoyed this challenge. I think it did just what [mention]JD01[/mention] intended: it got me thinking outside of how I'd normally try to write a song.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:30 am Lol the vocal parts are definitely better than the chords! I like it. Nice job. You gonna keep it and redo it with normal chords that don't sound out of tune? I can hear it in my head as a full-bore Regdar weirdo tune.
Working on it. I'm shooting for a sometime in October release.
frank1985

Post by frank1985 »

Hey I don’t know if I’m too late to the party here but here’s an extended version of the raga piece that vomithatsteve was kind enough to share with you all https://soundcloud.com/fc1985/elephant-head-extended

Scale used is bharavi...quite an ‘erotic’ sounding scale, though also slightly ominous and dissonant with certain phrases.

More like a coke fueled jam session in parts though than an authentic raga
rayc

Post by rayc »

I don't know scales from snails except by their trails. That sounded pretty cool [mention]frank1985[/mention] - who & what is playing/happening?
Cheers
rayc
frank1985

Post by frank1985 »

rayc wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:14 pm I don't know scales from snails except by their trails. That sounded pretty cool @frank1985 - who & what is playing/happening?
Thanks! They are samples of Indian instruments - played/triggered by midi in a sampler (Kontakt). Tanpuri, sitar, tabla, Santoor and some other instrument I don’t know the name of. Oh and a completely out of place analog string synth at the end of the track.
rayc

Post by rayc »

frank1985 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:39 pm
rayc wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:14 pm I don't know scales from snails except by their trails. That sounded pretty cool @frank1985 - who & what is playing/happening?
Thanks! They are samples of Indian instruments - played/triggered by midi in a sampler (Kontakt). Tanpuri, sitar, tabla, Santoor and some other instrument I don’t know the name of. Oh and a completely out of place analog string synth at the end of the track.
Cool,[mention]frank1985[/mention] did you "play" or "write" them in to the composition?
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

frank1985 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:48 pm Scale used is bharavi...
Can you clarify what that means? Wikipedia doesn't have an article on it.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

frank1985 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:48 pm Hey I don’t know if I’m too late to the party here but here’s an extended version of the raga piece that vomithatsteve was kind enough to share with you all https://soundcloud.com/fc1985/elephant-head-extended

Scale used is bharavi...quite an ‘erotic’ sounding scale, though also slightly ominous and dissonant with certain phrases.

More like a coke fueled jam session in parts though than an authentic raga
So that's what it's supposed to sound like :)

I've gotta admit, 13 minutes is a lot, so I skimmed. But the sounds are nice, and the playing is great. It sounds very authentic...do you compose in scales like this a lot? We're obviously out of our element with a scale like this but you seem comfortable with it.