Reggae recording adventures this weekend

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
SweetDan

Reggae recording adventures this weekend

Post by SweetDan »

In honor of hurricane season, here's some Reggae (or at least an attempt to create a Reggae groove):

gmReggaeIdea.mp3
All recorded live, in my office/music room here at home in Colorado, nowhere near the ocean. ;)

Drums - same 2-mic setup I've been playing around with for a few months now - mono LDC overhead (more like over my right shoulder and angled to point at the snare), and kick mic.

Bass - p-bass, pre-amp with the lows boosted a bit and the highs cut a bit, then straight into the interface.

Rhythm gtr - tele-clonester, bridge pickup, through a clean-ish overdrive pedal, a bit of chorus, a not-too-long delay, into a clean amp model on my Vox "Valvetronix" amp, with a little bit of reverb, and into an SM57.

Solo guitar - the tele again, but using the neck pickup, a bit more grit dialed in, and without the chorus and delay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Reggae recording adventures this weekend

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thats a good start sd!!! Curious to hear where the rest of it goes. I am only listening on my phone before bed but i am hearing some timing issues. There could be a missing element i am not hearing from my phone so ill give it a good listen on the monitors tomorrow to be fair!!!!
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Hey Dan,

I thought I'd responded to this when you posted it.
This sounds really quite tidy to me. The sounds you have on your guitars, bass and drums work fine and your levels are generally all good.

Problems - OK, you're learning to drum and your timing isn't quite on the money yet. More practice, you'll get there. The kick drum seems pretty non-existent though - can you just bring it up in the mix if you've got a mic on it.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice bit of white boy reggae.
Bass & drums are always going to be an issue just becasue of the nature of the music but you're getting there.
The shanking guitar wasn't too shabby at all.
I enjoyed the listen.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:28 am Nice bit of white boy reggae.
You mean the Police album?
:D

Seems pretty decent. To echo everyone else, the drums could use some tightening up (in the sense of playing in time) as well as some loosening (in terms of having a relaxed, comfortable groove)
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 pm
Seems pretty decent. To echo everyone else, the drums could use some tightening up (in the sense of playing in time) as well as some loosening (in terms of having a relaxed, comfortable groove)

I agree with this. It is kind of stiff as far as the groove goes, but man if I were to play the drums for you it would be very painful.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yup. Just clean up the drumming. What do you mean recorded "live"? You had a band in your office?
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

rayc wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:28 am ...white boy reggae...
I like that characterization. :)

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:42 am ...What do you mean recorded "live"? You had a band in your office?
No band, just me, multi-tracking. By "live" I meant real, acoustic drums, not programmed.

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 pm ...the drums could use some tightening up (in the sense of playing in time) as well as some loosening (in terms of having a relaxed, comfortable groove)
Oh, oh, yes.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂