Jazz Shredding Ashes

General recording topics.
Lt. Bob

Re: Jazz Shredding Ashes

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:17 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:03 pm
lol ..... I noticed hahahaha ...... and my natural tendency is to poke that wound to see if there's any puss in there so I have to watch myself.

:lollers2:
haha.
I listened to it spent some time working on it to get the feel for it.
But have watched videos of it explaining it to get the nuances of it 'cos its pretty complex in places.. and I want to make sure I learn it in time to beat Armistice.
winning is paramount

And it IS a fairly complex ride ..... that's what I've been saying.
Anyone that can play a decent approximation of this ride has some skillz.

More skillz if they just earballed it though.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM ..... IT'S AN OBSERVATION:
You have skillz if you can play this REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU LEARNED IT!!!!!!!

And it may be easy for me to dismiss tabs since I have 'big ears' (jazz term for someone who can play and hit it correctly without knowing the song and has no chart).
But I actually find it harder to use tabs and youtube vids are really time consuming for me.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:30 pm NOTE: THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM ..... IT'S AN OBSERVATION:
You have skillz if you can play this REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU LEARNED IT!!!!!!!

And it may be easy for me to dismiss tabs since I have 'big ears' (jazz term for someone who can play and hit it correctly without knowing the song and has no chart).
But I actually find it harder to use tabs and youtube vids are really time consuming for me.
I agree its better to use your ears for stuff - I think it would have taken me ages to work out something like this with ears alone.
But then I've only really started thinking about properly training my ears to recognise stuff in the last few years.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've had 3 tins of IPA... But done is better than perfect.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I use whatever tech I can. There was a time element here. I personally wouldn't bother with tab as they're usually wrong.

Both of us work full time jobs and are renovating. I'm only at my place, where the guitars are, 4 nights a week, Mon to Thu. The other nights I'm at GF's place, not playing the guitar. I renovate Saturdays, that starts soon.

That said I worked a lot of it out by listening, but some passages are quick enough that I watched old mate Rick Beato for tips to save time. Before tab and the internet, in various bands, I've played most of the famous guitar solos note perfect by working them out by listening. So I have no problems at all using whatever tech I can to help the process these days. Slowing it down is particularly useful. Back in the day I had a two speed Marantz cassette player so I'd record the song from the record at high speed and play it back at normal and it was an octave lower. Handy. Easier these days with DAWs.

With something like this you need to listen to work out the subtleties, particularly transitioning between the phrases.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm not going to be able to do this without a fully functional ring finger! I tried to do a 3 and a bit finger version but I can't quite keep up with the speed, and when I have to use the ring finger it just is damaging it again, so I'll have to kick the video can down the road to next week, alas.

Soz.

You're done then, JD - good stuff. I won't comment until I see what I can do myself... :wink:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:59 pm [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_x7k0C0enk[/BBvideo]
There you go James...nicely done.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]JD01[/mention] nice job :coolstorybro:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

NICE!!

Good tone too sir!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:19 pm I use whatever tech I can. There was a time element here. I personally wouldn't bother with tab as they're usually wrong.

Both of us work full time jobs and are renovating. I'm only at my place, where the guitars are, 4 nights a week, Mon to Thu. The other nights I'm at GF's place, not playing the guitar. I renovate Saturdays, that starts soon.

That said I worked a lot of it out by listening, but some passages are quick enough that I watched old mate Rick Beato for tips to save time. Before tab and the internet, in various bands, I've played most of the famous guitar solos note perfect by working them out by listening. So I have no problems at all using whatever tech I can to help the process these days. Slowing it down is particularly useful. Back in the day I had a two speed Marantz cassette player so I'd record the song from the record at high speed and play it back at normal and it was an octave lower. Handy. Easier these days with DAWs.

With something like this you need to listen to work out the subtleties, particularly transitioning between the phrases.
I wrote "THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM ...... IF YOU CAN PLAY THIS YOU HAVE SKILLZ REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU LEARNED IT" in capital letters hoping you might read it but alas .... to no avail.

:k:

What'd ya' do to your finger?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, guys bit sloppy in spots but not too bad.. one of the overbends is particularly obvious!

Fun piece to play though.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 am
Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:19 pm I use whatever tech I can. There was a time element here. I personally wouldn't bother with tab as they're usually wrong.

I wrote "THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM ...... IF YOU CAN PLAY THIS YOU HAVE SKILLZ REGARDLESS OF HOW YOU LEARNED IT" in capital letters hoping you might read it but alas .... to no avail.

:k:

What'd ya' do to your finger?
I know LT - I'm just explaining. You asked how we learnt, I'm telling you. :wink:

Seems I can't explain things without people assuming I've taken offence. I don't, really.

I blistered the finger learning this solo - I haven't played much guitar this year and I went at it too hard with the bending on Tuesday. Pointer and middle are a bit sore but ring is really where the problem is. I can sort of play and use the other two at most points in the solo but there are a couple of notes that just have to be ring finger and they're bendy ones, so until that gets better... another couple of days, I hope.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I tried for about an hour this afternoon and got a couple of almost takes, but there was always something not quite right. I need my ring finger fully functioning.

Will have to leave it for a few days. Maybe Monday or Tuesday night. Annoying. I was getting pretty close ... but I ran out of time. Back to the painting.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:59 pm [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_x7k0C0enk[/BBvideo]
Interesting watching your fingering. Couple of things we do differently. :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It's interesting how we can all approach a problem differently. Anything particularly obvious that I do differently?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 am It's interesting how we can all approach a problem differently. Anything particularly obvious that I do differently?
You've found an easier way to do the descending pedal tone part that's still the bit I'm most likely to fuck up. And I think we do the third phrase differently somehow.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:23 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 am It's interesting how we can all approach a problem differently. Anything particularly obvious that I do differently?
You've found an easier way to do the descending pedal tone part that's still the bit I'm most likely to fuck up. And I think we do the third phrase differently somehow.
I found that tricky too. I'm just doing a little barre across the e and b strings
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 am
Armistice wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:23 am

I found that tricky too. I'm just doing a little barre across the e and b strings
I'm doing the first four notes with four different fingers, and depending upon how you land Mr Pointer on the E string - either a mini barre, or just the one string - it's easy to go wrong on the next three notes - one of them tends not to sound. There's something about those notes on successive strings that trips me up. Not thought of two mini barre formations, because I'm playing the lead in note on the E string, not the B.

I tried extending the mini barre to 3 strings but that was too slow to land. I'll try your method or another variation that's in my head and see if I have better success.

You'll find I'm using a ton of "bend vibrato" - ie. rapid mini string bends, as opposed to finger vibrato where you plant your finger tip and shake your wrist - on the long holds, which I notice you're not doing. If you slow the tune down you can hear he does a lot of it. I'm wondering if you're familiar with the technique? It probably has a proper name that I'm not aware of.

Other thing I noticed where there's the tap at the end with your right hand, you're going for a big ring finger bend to sound the base note, whereas I'm tending to use a smaller bend with pointer, and the aforementioned bend vibrato to get that really wonky pitch thing he has going there. Hard part is hitting the tap right. 😃 I'll get all the way through to there and fuck that up quite often.🤔

This is all theory of course, on my part, seeing I don't have an actual video up!. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday, after work.

BTW, the thread title notwithstanding, I'm totally not regarding this as a competition, just a learning op. Been fun getting the fingers moving again. You've won anyway seeing I won't have a vid until after the deadline.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice work James.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:24 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 am
I'm doing the first four notes with four different fingers, and depending upon how you land Mr Pointer on the E string - either a mini barre, or just the one string - it's easy to go wrong on the next three notes - one of them tends not to sound. There's something about those notes on successive strings that trips me up. Not thought of two mini barre formations, because I'm playing the lead in note on the E string, not the B.

I tried extending the mini barre to 3 strings but that was too slow to land. I'll try your method or another variation that's in my head and see if I have better success.

You'll find I'm using a ton of "bend vibrato" - ie. rapid mini string bends, as opposed to finger vibrato where you plant your finger tip and shake your wrist - on the long holds, which I notice you're not doing. If you slow the tune down you can hear he does a lot of it. I'm wondering if you're familiar with the technique? It probably has a proper name that I'm not aware of.

Other thing I noticed where there's the tap at the end with your right hand, you're going for a big ring finger bend to sound the base note, whereas I'm tending to use a smaller bend with pointer, and the aforementioned bend vibrato to get that really wonky pitch thing he has going there. Hard part is hitting the tap right. 😃 I'll get all the way through to there and fuck that up quite often.🤔

This is all theory of course, on my part, seeing I don't have an actual video up!. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday, after work.

BTW, the thread title notwithstanding, I'm totally not regarding this as a competition, just a learning op. Been fun getting the fingers moving again. You've won anyway seeing I won't have a vid until after the deadline.
Ah, I don't really know what you mean by bend vibrato. Carlton seems to be a great player though.. if its tricky, he's probably doing it. I didn't slow it down though when I was listening. When I'm learning something I tend to pop it in reaper and loop it across short sections... sometimes for fast bits with a lot of notes I end up with very short loops!

I actually practicised tapping a fair bit about a year ago and wrote a solo with loads of tapping in it... I generally consider myself home and dry with that solo after the pedaltone section.