Jazz Shredding Ashes

General recording topics.
Greg_L

Re: Jazz Shredding Ashes

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:41 pm I think I get the scalloped thing.
I run my action fairly high because bending is a big part of what I do and I need to be able to get my fingertips under the string some to have a good grip on it.
A scalloped board would allow lower action but I'd still be able to get my finger under the string.

Not gonna go to the trouble of doing one though.
I've played scalloped fretboard guitars. I'm obviously a hack that cannot make use of a feature like that, but under my dumb fingers it didn't feel that different. I don't push hard enough to even really notice it. It just made the neck feel smaller and the frets feel bigger to me. I guess that's good for shredders and shit. And I've only ever seen it on Strat-style necks that need to be faster. Shredder guitars with ready-made shredder necks don't need scallops.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:52 am Shredder guitars with ready-made shredder necks don't need scallops.
Funny you mention that... the only scalloped neck guitar I've ever played was an Ibanez JEM (Steve Vai sig. guitar). The upper frets are scalloped.. can't say I noticed much difference really. Apparently its so you can get a bit more of a grip on notes above fret 15 or 17 or something. Can't remember what fret the scalloping starts - was probably 15 years ago when I played on it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:04 am
Funny you mention that... the only scalloped neck guitar I've ever played was an Ibanez JEM (Steve Vai sig. guitar). The upper frets are scalloped.. can't say I noticed much difference really. Apparently its so you can get a bit more of a grip on notes above fret 15 or 17 or something. Can't remember what fret the scalloping starts - was probably 15 years ago when I played on it.
That's weird because if any neck doesn't need scallops, it's a fucking JEM neck.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:12 am That's weird because if any neck doesn't need scallops, it's a fucking JEM neck.
Yeah, its basically the same neck as on my RG but with fancy inlays. The neck is wide and flat and the frets are massive. Already plenty big enough to bend notes well out of tune. Your fingertips don't really go anywhere near the board even when you're playing country chords.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:18 am
Yeah, its basically the same neck as on my RG but with fancy inlays. The neck is wide and flat and the frets are massive. Already plenty big enough to bend notes well out of tune. Your fingertips don't really go anywhere near the board even when you're playing country chords.
I know. Those fucking necks are like a fence picket with rebar for frets. The fretboard could be made of lava and you're safe because you aint ever gonna touch it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Actually I've gotten to where I think that "shredder neck" thing is bullshit.
I have a buttload of wildly different guitars with every different kind of neck/fretboard there is ...... thin necks .... fat necks ...... flat radius necks and old curved radius necks ...... wide fret boards and narrow fretboards.

Anything I can play on one of them, I can play on all of them.