New interface time: seeking recommendations

General recording topics.
vomitHatSteve

New interface time: seeking recommendations

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alright. I've been wanting to get a new interface for a few months now (It keeps shocking me), and now it doesn't seem to be accepting a signal at all.

So I might as well upgrade, and I'm looking for recommendations

Requirements:
Windows compatibility - 7
USB (f*** firewire, and all mac proprietary shenanigans)
Grounded - as I said. It keeps shocking me. I want to get one that runs its own chassis to the ground wire and just handles it's own nonsense instead of. I dunno handwaving it away? Running the ground through the PC or something? 3 prongs
Minimum 4 pre-amps - but honestly, I'd prefer 12. Currently, I have 4 pre-amps and 4 other channels and run up to 8 channels from the live room and 4 in the control room. I'd like use more of my 16-channel snake and spend less time re-arranging cables.
Phantom power - on at least 1 pre-amp

Thanks!
Last edited by vomitHatSteve on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
vomitHatSteve

Re: New interface time: seeking recommendations

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Clarification: If it's USB powered I'm a lot less concerned about grounding, tho I would be surprised to encounter a USB-powered interface that also had 12 inputs and phantom
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have owned two interfaces from the Focusrite Scarett Family and i have been pleased as piss with them. Prior to that i was using all M-Audio shit and i hated my life. This is my experience.

I did notice a huge difference in preamp quality going from M-Audio to Focusrite as well as stability and stuff. I am using the 18i20. most definitely overkill for a guy like me but i got it on sale and my main goal was to have an environment where i am not swapping the cables in and out of the same 2 holes for ever and ever.

This is all i have for you. Oh and it doesn't shock me at all. ever. like not one time did i get zapped.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - Focusrite 18i20.
Separate phantom on 1 - 4 and 5 - 8.

Mine's been great and there's plenty of Focusrite VSTs available that I find work well and are easy to use.

[mention]Bubba[/mention] has one and [mention]Greg_L[/mention] has just picked one up too. See what they think, Bubba has had his for years and both of them will be using far more of its capabilities than me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The 18i20 won't go to more than 8 inputs easily. You need extra gear and ADAT hookup. These fucking interfaces and their advertised ins and outs are misleading and kind of scammy.

There are better options if you want more than the typical 4 or 8 XLR inputs and digital inputs.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yeah, I have a Focusrite 8i6 but it's two mic preamp/multi inputs, two guitar jack, two RCA and optical A bit of a nomenclature scam. I also have the 2i2 - software & preamp wise they are great. the 8i6 is powered by wall wart and the 2i2 is USB powered.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - the Focusrite basically has 8 inputs.

I agree, that the terminology is a bit scammy but you'd have to be a bit of a rem to buy it thinking that it actually has 18 simultaneous inputs.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:12 am Yeah - the Focusrite basically has 8 inputs.

I agree, that the terminology is a bit scammy but you'd have to be a bit of a rem to buy it thinking that it actually has 18 simultaneous inputs.
But they make it seem that way. All of them do. Some of them can easily be expanded though. The Focusrite is not one of them.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:20 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:12 am Yeah - the Focusrite basically has 8 inputs.

But they make it seem that way. All of them do. Some of them can easily be expanded though. The Focusrite is not one of them.
What about the Tascam? Can you expand that easily? I struggled with the Tascam - I couldn't get it to play nice with my machine at all (and reading up on it, I'm not the only one) but then VHS has got far greater computer skills than me.

Have you started using your Focusrite yet?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:24 am
What about the Tascam? Can you expand that easily? I struggled with the Tascam - I couldn't get it to play nice with my machine at all (and reading up on it, I'm not the only one) but then VHS has got far greater computer skills than me.
Yeah the Tascam is super easy. I can get the usual 8 plus 6 more just with a basic mixer or my other old interface and some trs cables. There are 8 mic pres and 6 line inputs. That's 14 true separate inputs. Simple.
Not really. It's installed to get it working, but I haven't really got into it yet.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:27 am
Yeah the Tascam is super easy. I can get the usual 8 plus 6 more just with a basic mixer or my other old interface and some trs cables. There are 8 mic pres and 6 line inputs. That's 14 true separate inputs. Simple.
Not really. It's installed to get it working, but I haven't really got into it yet.
Yeah - I was quite impressed with the layout and the simplicity of the Tascam it was great until I wanted to record!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:29 am
Yeah - I was quite impressed with the layout and the simplicity of the Tascam it was great until I wanted to record!
I've never had a problem with mine or any other Tascam products. And mine's pretty old. It might be that I don't have a lot of other shit going on with this computer. I don't know how computers work, but I'm sure I don't have a lot of background stuff competing for processing power and drivers fighting each other.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:31 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:29 am
I've never had a problem with mine or any other Tascam products. And mine's pretty old. It might be that I don't have a lot of other shit going on with this computer. I don't know how computers work, but I'm sure I don't have a lot of background stuff competing for processing power and drivers fighting each other.
Yeah - I'm a bit rubbish with computers too. I really did try everything I possibly could to sort it out, but there was clearly some sort of weird driver issue... which I'm sure VHS could have sorted out.

The Tascam's are really cheap too!

Interested to see what you think of the Focusrite... I've had two of them, not 'cos I think they're particularly great or anything, but just 'cos they're usually one of the cheapest ones that have good reviews and a fairly good reputation. Cheaper than them you're getting into Tascam, Behringer etc. and they're all known to be both a little bit plasticy and have driver issues.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:36 am
Yeah - I'm a bit rubbish with computers too. I really did try everything I possibly could to sort it out, but there was clearly some sort of weird driver issue... which I'm sure VHS could have sorted out.

The Tascam's are really cheap too!

Interested to see what you think of the Focusrite... I've had two of them, not 'cos I think they're particularly great or anything, but just 'cos they're usually one of the cheapest ones that have good reviews and a fairly good reputation. Cheaper than them you're getting into Tascam, Behringer etc. and they're all known to be both a little bit plasticy and have driver issues.
I only chose the Focusrite because right now they seem to be the most current and up-to-date for reasonable basic interfaces to go along with modern computers. With my drums-only setup coming soon, I don't need a billion simultaneous inputs in a new interface. My current laptop/Tascam setup will go with the drums.

When my Tascam drum rig craps out, I absolutely will be looking to Tascam or Behringer for their better input flexibility. I can get the Behringer Uphoria thing plus the 8 additional preamp unit for the cost of one 8-input Focusrite. I don't need any magic for recording the drums. I do need inputs though, and the Focusrite is not the best for that.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:43 am When my Tascam drum rig craps out, I absolutely will be looking to Tascam or Behringer for their better input flexibility.
Yeah - no reason not to at least try them if you're reasonably confident you either won't get, or can deal with, any driver issues.

I just googled Tascam 16x08 driver issues and I know I'm not the only one!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:52 am
Yeah - no reason not to at least try them if you're reasonably confident you either won't get, or can deal with, any driver issues.

I just googled Tascam 16x08 driver issues and I know I'm not the only one!
Yeah I don't know what to tell you about that. I'm a total computer moron and I've never had any problem with it. I've taken it out for mobile recording and I've used every input it has at the same time - no problem.

I really am leaning towards the Behringer interface and preamp when the time comes to update my drum recording setup. The name Behringer doesn't scare me. I think they've come a long way. And I'm not looking for anything other than inputs and it will only be used for drum tracking. It's not like all the other computer related stuff we use isn't made in the same chinese sweatshops. I don't for a second think it will make me sound worse. There's no magic in consumer interface preamps.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 am There's no magic in consumer interface preamps.
On this I definitely agree!

I know when Tadpui was messing about with a Behringer U-Phoria he ended up doing some weird things with drivers and using ASIO4ALL... which seems a bit lazy/tight fisted from Behringer, but then they're also really, really cheap!

The weird thing I had with the Tascam seems to be something to do with Win10, at least from the other threads I've read with other people who've had problems. Dunno why though - seems a bit random... just a thing which happens sometimes and a risk that people buying it should probably be aware of... even if its a small risk.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 am
On this I definitely agree!

I know when Tadpui was messing about with a Behringer U-Phoria he ended up doing some weird things with drivers and using ASIO4ALL... which seems a bit lazy/tight fisted from Behringer, but then they're also really, really cheap!
For me all it would have to do is track drums. If it can do that, I'm good. I'm not gonna be mixing or monitoring or mastering or making videos with it.
The weird thing I had with the Tascam seems to be something to do with Win10, at least from the other threads I've read with other people who've had problems. Dunno why though - seems a bit random... just a thing which happens sometimes and a risk that people buying it should probably be aware of... even if its a small risk.
Then the Tascam would be perfect for VHS because he said he's on windows 7 and needs a lot of inputs. I'm on 7 and my Tascam works flawlessly.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

My current interface is a Tascam (fw1804).
I'm not totally opposed to the brand (it's worked generally fine and easily did 4+4 inputes), but the shocks and some other glitchy behavior make me somewhat leery.
i was using all M-Audio shit and i hated my life. This is my experience.
:lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:50 am These fucking interfaces and their advertised ins and outs are misleading and kind of scammy.
I couldn't agree more. I don't know when that all started but i think it is rotten.

Also, worth notiing that i am also on windows 7 and running the 18i20. As of late it's been pretty flawless but i remember setting it up was abit of chore to get it to do what i wanted. That focusrite control panel thing was hard to get used to and navigate around in.
:happytrees: