My Sharona...Greatest guitar solo ever.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: My Sharona...Greatest guitar solo ever.

Post by Greg_L »

I like lots of songs with guitar solos. It's just never because of a guitar solo. In fact, I think it's a credit to the guitar solo'er if there's a solo and I don't notice it at all. That to me is a good solo. A solo that's there but not intrusive is a good solo.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 am I like lots of songs with guitar solos. It's just never because of a guitar solo.
Oh, I agree. If you like music because of solos listen to Vai and Satriani.
Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 amIn fact, I think it's a credit to the guitar solo'er if there's a solo and I don't notice it at all. That to me is a good solo. A solo that's there but not intrusive is a good solo.
Yeah, I agree with that too. I like solo's that are like an extension of the melody - I just think those two Kirk Hammett solos are good examples of that. Saying that, I like the solos on Bad Religion too even though most of them sound like Country with a punk beat.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. I think Kirk Hammett is the worst thing about Metallica. Even worse than Lars! I can't listen to Metallica and it's because of the excessive unnecessary guitar masturbation and general metal faux aggression.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:32 am Lol. I think Kirk Hammett is the worst thing about Metallica. Even worse than Lars! I can't listen to Metallica and it's because of the excessive unnecessary guitar masturbation and general metal faux aggression.
I agree his soloing as gone downhill and become far more generic since the early stuff. Lars gets right on my tits though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:52 am
I agree his soloing as gone downhill and become far more generic since the early stuff. Lars gets right on my tits though.
I don't hear him as being any worse than before. He's always been worse. I think Kill em All has some cool songs....and then the solos happen. They're wank solos that do nothing for the songs and they're mixed to be on top of everything. That to me is like a double-whammy of turn that shit off. :facepalm2: Kirk Hammett solos sound to me like they're there because it's metal, and by rule metal songs have to have some rapid-fire note frenzy.

For me, the slim appeal of Metallica lies in the tight charging rhythm section. Hetfield's guitaring is way more interesting to me than Hammett's.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Hehe....WOW!

All I meant about this crowd not being a "guitar solo" crowd is that we don't sit around and discuss guys like Malsteem, Satriani, 4-finger hammer-offs, or what kind of pick Larry Coryell uses. Our "shop talk" consists more of tones and most people's tastes here lean more toward tones and songs and less about virtuosity.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

4 finger hammer-offs leads to five finger death punch.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:41 am

All I meant about this crowd not being a "guitar solo" crowd is that we don't sit around and discuss guys like Malsteem, Satriani, 4-finger hammer-offs, or what kind of pick Larry Coryell uses. Our "shop talk" consists more of tones and most people's tastes here lean more toward tones and songs and less about virtuosity.
I think that's absolutely true.

I, of course, tend the exact opposite, as we all know.
I'm far more about the playing than the tones.

Not trying to be contrary .... we all know that I'm a bit of an outlier here.