Dream Guitars

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Dream Guitars

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:18 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:39 pm
I'm surprised actually, I really didn't like Les Pauls for years. Then I played an old Studio that I liked but it was too expensive, then I eventually tracked down a Jr which I really love. Played on it for ages after work today.

I think the catalyst though was the Mustang, got me over my natural aversion to shorter scale guitars.
A LP Jr and a normal LP do not feel the same though. A Jr plays more like an SG which plays nothing like a regular Les Paul. If you like bare bones unfinished planks like Jrs and Teles then a full bells-and-whistles Les Paul is gonna be a lot different.
Haha, i think of Jrs and Teles as finished and full Les Pauls as tarted up. I've played a few studios that I liked, didn't have binding either... I've also played a few studios that were awful. Anyway, it's not like I'm gonna buy one next week.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

There are a lot of these "alternate brand" Japanese Les Paul guitars popping up over here. Never seen one even close to being as expensive as that "Sword" in the listing. Never heard of that brand - lots of Tokai, Burny, Greco stuff appearing here for lots of $$ though. For reference, that Sword translates as AUD $3,595.75 - I see people trying for maybe half that on some of the brands I've mentioned on a regular basis - and I did see someone wanting in excess of $2K for a Burny once. $3500? Never. And they do bang on about which factory it was built in and which mystical and legendary Japanese guitar builder I've never heard of touched it.

I've become more of a traditionalist on this stuff in my later years - you want a Les Paul, get a real one, or get another builder's take on the format - don't get a straight copy unless it's a gigging cheapy, which that isn't.

I still want a "real" strat just because I don't have one, and despite my Levinson Blade "strat" being a great guitar that does all the strat stuff I could ever want and costing more than a standard MIA strat at the time of purchase. I'll probably never get one, though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just an update 'cos I've been enjoying myself. My Jr is pretty much become my favourite guitar now.
@Armistice You've got a bunch of nice guitars, many with humbuckers, I reckon you'd really like one of these if you could track one down in Aus.
rayc

Post by rayc »

A lot of the "Lawsuit Era" guitars are very good - the reason the lawsuits happened was, in part, because they were producing great quality for less.
Yes, the factory makes a difference: Matsumoku did cabinetry & guitars. My Vantage is from that factory and while super cheap at a little over $100 in 1981 has only had problems in the last couple of years. My Brunos probably didn't come from that factory but the wood work is wonderful on them. My Emperador semi acoustic bass is likely from the Kasuga factory and is a VERY well made instrument. I bought it 2nd hand for a hand full of tenners.
The prices have gone nuts over the last decade with the perceived inconsistency in QC from the MIA brands and with the very decent work being done in Vietnam highlighting the S.E.Asian builds.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I had '57 and '63 Tokai strats and they were incredible ...... I think I snorted them up but they were great guitars!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

@Lt. Bob

You need this. Bobcat. It's a steal.

https://shop.myrareguitars.com/collecti ... e-in-japan
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:02 pm @Lt. Bob

You need this. Bobcat. It's a steal.

https://shop.myrareguitars.com/collecti ... e-in-japan
doesn't say it's a baritone but it's not 379 bucks.