Dream Guitars

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Re: Dream Guitars

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:55 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:23 am What you guys think of this?
https://www.fenderfever.com/guitars/fen ... 1989-black
I've never come across a short scale strat before - this seems like a genuinely quirky one and could be quite fun to play.
I'm really impressive with my the quality of my MIJ Mustang but I don't really like the sound of it. I'd probably sell it to fund this.
You keep inching closer and closer to your true calling. :lollers2:
Only a few more pages of this thread and @JD01 will be here... :lollers:
Screenshot 2023-03-18 081426.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:48 pm

Exactly. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ergh, I already have one of them in a case in the attic... albeit in more sensible colours.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:44 am Ergh, I already have one of them in a case in the attic... albeit in more sensible colours.
I'd have to say, of all the guitars in all the world, this is my personal least favourite...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Armistice wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:48 pm

Needs more green hardware and you've nailed it. :like:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I like all guitars ...... and I love psychedelia so I'd gig one in a second although I don't have a lot of use for a 7 string but maybe that's just because I don't have one
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'd play bass before I'd play that thing.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:01 pm I'd play bass before I'd play that thing.
:lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Haha, I didn't even notice it was a 7 string. I don't have one of them in the attic.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Really love this:
https://www.fenderfever.com/guitars/sword-sls-1959

I always think the nicest looking Les Pauls are the ones with fairly plain tops, particularly quite faded ones.
I've no idea what a "Sword" is but I guess its a pretty high quality Japanese copy.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:53 am Really love this:

I always think the nicest looking Les Pauls are the ones with fairly plain tops, particularly quite faded ones.
I've no idea what a "Sword" is but I guess its a pretty high quality Japanese copy.
Looks like they are are a Tokai spin off according to the blurb. Tokai guitars were nice back in the day, high end copies that fetched good money and still do. Not sure they ever out priced the real thing though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:20 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:53 am Really love this:

Looks like they are are a Tokai spin off according to the blurb. Tokai guitars were nice back in the day, high end copies that fetched good money and still do. Not sure they ever out priced the real thing though.
I certainly can't afford to spend 2K on a guitar right now. But its definitely the sort of thing I'd be after one day.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

2+ grand for a Les Paul copy of unknown origins is fucking dumb.

You can buy a legit real one that kind of money.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:50 am 2+ grand for a Les Paul copy of unknown origins is fucking dumb.

You can buy a legit real one that kind of money.
It does seem like a lot... but then 2k is also not a crazy price for a very nice guitar. Anyway, I don't have 2k to burn right now. But if I was after another Les Paul it would be like this one or a white one like Steve Jones or James Dean Bradfields.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 pm
It does seem like a lot... but then 2k is also not a crazy price for a very nice guitar. Anyway, I don't have 2k to burn right now. But if I was after another Les Paul it would be like this one or a white one like Steve Jones or James Dean Bradfields.
You're not getting a white custom for two grand. Sorry.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well it all comes down to what you want them for and what you'll do with them.

If you're a collector then nothing matters but getting that thing that'll build your collection or the thing you've been missing.

if you're a recordist for fun then again, getting a particular thing might be something you need for your recordings.

If you're a long time gigger such as me, you kinda get where you don't care so much plus once you've tweaked and adjusted hundreds of guitars pretty much anything that isn't broken can be adjusted to play fairly well.

I can earn as much money with my 400 dollar home built as on something uber expensive and I don't care if some idiot knocks it off the stand .... well, IF I used a stand which I don't.
My 165 buck Indio from Monoprice is absolutely gorgeous and after a solid evening of adjusting and polishing frets plays very well.

For playing I'd FAR prefer it to my 1954 Les Paul Fretless wonder ..... just a better playing guitar.
But I suppose it's easy for me to not go 'ooh' over guitars since I've owned about everything and I certainly oohed over them back in
the day.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:34 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 pm
You're not getting a white custom for two grand. Sorry.
Yeah, the one I liked was that Burny copy that came up a while back. I think I'm going to stop buying stuff until we get the next phase of the extension done and I have a bigger room though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:57 pm
Yeah, the one I liked was that Burny copy that came up a while back. I think I'm going to stop buying stuff until we get the next phase of the extension done and I have a bigger room though.
You and a Les Paul Custom is a recipe for extreme depressive buyer's remorse. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:21 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:57 pm
You and a Les Paul Custom is a recipe for extreme depressive buyer's remorse. :lollers2:
I'm surprised actually, I really didn't like Les Pauls for years. Then I played an old Studio that I liked but it was too expensive, then I eventually tracked down a Jr which I really love. Played on it for ages after work today.

I think the catalyst though was the Mustang, got me over my natural aversion to shorter scale guitars.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:39 pm
I'm surprised actually, I really didn't like Les Pauls for years. Then I played an old Studio that I liked but it was too expensive, then I eventually tracked down a Jr which I really love. Played on it for ages after work today.

I think the catalyst though was the Mustang, got me over my natural aversion to shorter scale guitars.
A LP Jr and a normal LP do not feel the same though. A Jr plays more like an SG which plays nothing like a regular Les Paul. If you like bare bones unfinished planks like Jrs and Teles then a full bells-and-whistles Les Paul is gonna be a lot different.
Rebel Yell