Dream Guitars

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Dream Guitars

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:59 pm

Greg is closet tele lover. I just know he has one hidden somewhere out in his garage he plays when no one is home to see him do it. :lollers2: :lollers2:
I like to be alone and wear womens clothes while I play my closet tele. :chillin
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:01 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:59 pm

Greg is closet tele lover. I just know he has one hidden somewhere out in his garage he plays when no one is home to see him do it. :lollers2: :lollers2:
I like to be alone and wear womens clothes while I play my closet tele. :chillin
Pretty sure we all do.

Nothing i like more than to put on my wifes fihsnets , grab a nice dry white wine and start playing my tele and have a good cry when i am home alone.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:02 pm

Pretty sure we all do.

Nothing i like more than to put on my wifes fihsnets , grab a nice dry white wine and start playing my tele and have a good cry when i am home alone.
Lol I really wanted to like the Meteora. Tele pickups and bridge, Tele sound, without being anything like a fucking Tele. Didn't work out. It looks cool but it's weird to play.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:04 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:02 pm

Pretty sure we all do.

Lol I really wanted to like the Meteora. Tele pickups and bridge, Tele sound, without being anything like a fucking Tele. Didn't work out. It looks cool but it's weird to play.
I'm still lusting after them but they are racist towards me and my kind. And the one left handed one i saw was hideous. Crazy multicolor bullshit. :dislike:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:07 pm

I'm still lusting after them but they are racist towards me and my kind. And the one left handed one i saw was hideous. Crazy multicolor bullshit. :dislike:
I know it goes against everything you stand for, but please try to coax sweet little Callum into being right handed. The world is made for right handed people. Think of all the guitars he will have access to. :jam:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:22 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:07 pm

I know it goes against everything you stand for, but please try to coax sweet little Callum into being right handed. The world is made for right handed people. Think of all the guitars he will have access to. :jam:
He's going to be a drummer.
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:42 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:22 pm

Reported.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:42 pm

Well alright then! :drums: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My son is left handed and a goofy-foot.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:52 pm My son is left handed and a goofy-foot.
This is all well and good, but if he pushes Mongo you may have to have a sit down chat with the boy.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:05 pm
Greg_L wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:58 am So now the search is on for the right 1973 LP Custom or Deluxe.
Found it.

1973 LP Custom
Wow, that's great! Love the finish on that thing. Is it super heavy, or was that later in the 70s when they weighed more than a thousand suns? Definitely jealous, that thing has mojo for days.

Man you guys are all buying guitars this week.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:45 pm
Wow, that's great! Love the finish on that thing. Is it super heavy, or was that later in the 70s when they weighed more than a thousand suns? Definitely jealous, that thing has mojo for days.

Man you guys are all buying guitars this week.
It's a pancake body and it's pre maple neck era so it still has a mahogany neck. It's fairly light by Les Paul standards. I haven't weighed it but I'm guessing probably around 9.5 pounds. It's considerably lighter than my 78 or 01 Customs. They are fucking super heavy.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:58 pm I'm guessing probably around 9.5 pounds. It's considerably lighter than my 78 or 01 Customs. They are fucking super heavy.
How heavy?
Cause 9.5 lbs is pretty heavy ..... it's why I can't gig my Slick or Hallmark ..... they both weigh that and I consider it heavy.

EDIT ..... Isaw a post where someone said that 70's Pauls could be as much as 13lbs ........ I'd find that unplayable however for a long time I gigged a Les Paul Triumph bass (ser. # 0001 ) and it must have weighed 12-13lbs ...... we were young and still found it heavy.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'll have to weigh my guitars at some point.
The Les Paul is probably the lightest, followed by the Mustang. The Crimson is a LOT heavier.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:39 am
How heavy?
Cause 9.5 lbs is pretty heavy ..... it's why I can't gig my Slick or Hallmark ..... they both weigh that and I consider it heavy.

EDIT ..... Isaw a post where someone said that 70's Pauls could be as much as 13lbs ........ I'd find that unplayable however for a long time I gigged a Les Paul Triumph bass (ser. # 0001 ) and it must have weighed 12-13lbs ...... we were young and still found it heavy.
I weighed my 78 Custom a while back and if I recall it was 12.4 pounds. My white 2001 Custom is about the same...I think it was like 11.6 pounds. They're both quite heavy Les Pauls. Yank one of them off the stand in the wrong way and you'll need shoulder surgery. Honestly I don't even notice it. I use fairly wide straps and wear the guitars pretty low around my crotch so they hang around my own personal center of gravity. The guitars and I use physics to meld into one single unstoppable unit of rock and roll. :sherlock:

My LP Traditional Goldtop and this new to me 73 Custom are both a little lighter, like I said probably around 9.5 pounds I'm just estimating. Pre-1975 Norlin era pancake body Les Paul Customs and Deluxes usually weigh in around 9-10 pounds on average. Around 1976 they went to pure solid bodies and maple necks and they got way heavier. My 78 is a solid body and maple neck and very heavy. The 73 is a pancake body and mahogany neck and a little lighter. It is what it is. It's rock and roll.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:58 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:39 am
How heavy?

I weighed my 78 Custom a while back and if I recall it was 12.4 pounds. My white 2001 Custom is about the same...I think it was like 11.6 pounds. They're both quite heavy Les Pauls. Yank one of them off the stand in the wrong way and you'll need shoulder surgery. Honestly I don't even notice it. I use fairly wide straps and wear the guitars pretty low around my crotch so they hang around my own personal center of gravity. The guitars and I use physics to meld into one single unstoppable unit of rock and roll. :sherlock:

My LP Traditional Goldtop and this new to me 73 Custom are both a little lighter, like I said probably around 9.5 pounds I'm just estimating. Pre-1975 Norlin era pancake body Les Paul Customs and Deluxes usually weigh in around 9-10 pounds on average. Around 1976 they went to pure solid bodies and maple necks and they got way heavier. My 78 is a solid body and maple neck and very heavy. The 73 is a pancake body and mahogany neck and a little lighter. It is what it is. It's rock and roll.
What do you mean by pancake body?
I had a 70's custom ( burgundy-ish color ) and it floated in a flood and I had to completely disassemble the body and neck and reglue all the pieces and to my memory the body was a bunch of different pieces laminated and glued together.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:33 am
What do you mean by pancake body?
I had a 70's custom ( burgundy-ish color ) and it floated in a flood and I had to completely disassemble the body and neck and reglue all the pieces and to my memory the body was a bunch of different pieces laminated and glued together.
Les Pauls from around 1970 to 1976 had "pancake bodies" - meaning they are mahogany slabs with a thin strip of maple cross-grain sandwiched in the middle. No one really knows why they did this, but the generally accepted theory is that it was cheaper to use two thinner pieces of mahogany for the body compared to one full chunk. The line is clearly visible in pancake body guitars from that time period.

Pancake bodies have nothing to do with anything really. They don't have a sound, they are marginally lighter, but they are an easily identifiable feature/quirk of a specific time period for Gibson Les Pauls. For a long time people scoffed at pancake body Gibsons. Then 50s Gibsons got priced out of the reality of pretty much anyone and people realized that most of what they love in rock and roll was made on these Norlin era Gibsons so they started becoming desirable in their own right. There was a lot of historically significant rock and roll made on 1968-1982 Gibsons.

As for the laminations, there are a few internet tales of the bodies coming apart but for the most part there are still tons of these guitars still kicking 50 years later. The usual headstock breaks are still the weak point. I've personally never seen or heard of the bodies coming apart.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

It is a lot cheaper to make a guitar body "pancake" style if you are doing it by the dozen or hundreds like they do. Around that time Mahogany was under the microscope environmentally and it got very expensive. Gibson got caught out with CITIES and fewer other regulatory bodies since on their dodgy dealing on the timber market. That I hope has all been resolved but you never know with Gibson.

That lamination method should actually add to the structural stability in the long term, absolutely nothing wrong with it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I assumed that's why necks are often multi laminate... to make them stronger
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:42 pm I assumed that's why necks are often multi laminate... to make them stronger
Partly. Yes a laminate should be more dimensionally stable but maple and mahogany are used for a reason and that is that they have little movement in service. When you stick on a fingerboard and add a truss rod you kind of have a laminate anyway. The fancy laminates you see on many guitars is more to do with available timber sizes. I quite like the way a laminated neck looks.