Dream Guitars

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Dream Guitars

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:11 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:53 am
I like the volute on the back of the neck. My Crimson has one. Can't think why they don't all still have that.
Because they didn't have them in the 50s and they don't do anything anyway.
Ah, I like the feel of it against the curve of my hand between my thumb and first finger and I press my thumb against it sometimes.

I agree that any increase in strength is probably pretty marginal.

Red LP Special should be arriving tomorrow
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:01 pm
Ah, I like the feel of it against the curve of my hand between my thumb and first finger and I press my thumb against it sometimes.

I have volutes on three Gibsons and all of the Mosrites. I never feel it. Don't even know it's there. I'm a thumb-over rock and roller guy.
Awesome! :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:00 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 am wasn't anything made in '51 that I'd want
51 Mercs are pretty fucking cool.

lol .... ok ... if we're going there then there's LOTS of things from '51 I'd like.

Not so much in guitars though
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:10 pm lol .... ok ... if we're going there then there's LOTS of things from '51 I'd like.

Not so much in guitars though
Agreed. Guitars and amps weren't quite up to snuff yet in 1951.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:07 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:01 pm

I have volutes on three Gibsons and all of the Mosrites. I never feel it. Don't even know it's there. I'm a thumb-over rock and roller guy.
Awesome! :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
I usually play an F chord with my thumb over the top, and even when I play an F barre chord the normal way my thumb is pressed into the volute.

I think the only guitar I'd want from '51 is a tele.
Cars didn't get really cool until the 60s!

Naturally, @Bubba thoroughly disapproves of the LP 'cos the wood doesn't match.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:15 pm

That's one of the amazing things about my new to me 73. The wood does match! It's a two piece flamed top that matches and the seam is centered and that alone is pretty rare from 70s Gibsons.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:26 pm

That's one of the amazing things about my new to me 73. The wood does match! It's a two piece flamed top that matches and the seam is centered and that alone is pretty rare from 70s Gibsons.
Is is really nice, the gold looks like its aged enough so its not too gaudy. The back of the neck looks well played in too, I bet that's comfy.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:00 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 am wasn't anything made in '51 that I'd want
51 Mercs are pretty fucking cool.

That's not a Merc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:02 pm
Is is really nice, the gold looks like its aged enough so its not too gaudy. The back of the neck looks well played in too, I bet that's comfy.
It's pretty smooth. The guitar came to life with a good cleaning and freshening up. It had been sitting unused for about 25 years.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:15 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:02 pm
It's pretty smooth. The guitar came to life with a good cleaning and freshening up. It had been sitting unused for about 25 years.
Like my '65 reissue Mustang. I thought I was gonna catch botulism when I was cleaning it. I think I posted pics at the time - it was grim.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I think the only guitar I'd want from '51 is a tele.
the only solid body electric guitar even made in '51 was a tele although not called a tele .... it was called the Broadcaster.

There were jazz gits with cobbled together pickup systems but nothing we would be interested in and I doubt their pickups sounded worth squat.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:15 pm Naturally, @Bubba thoroughly disapproves of the LP 'cos the wood doesn't match.
You never listen to me. :tongue:
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:04 pm the only solid body electric guitar even made in '51 was a tele
:lollers2: Good point - well made.

I think they did start calling them telecasters in '51 actually, think Broadcaster was a late '50 thing, then they had that brief "NoCaster" period.
I don't really know the dates and stuff though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:24 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:15 pm Naturally, @Bubba thoroughly disapproves of the LP 'cos the wood doesn't match.
You never listen to me. :tongue:
haha, its just something that I wouldn't even notice.

I actually think I have all of the guitars I want now though:
Crimson - two humbuckers, this is kind of like a Les Paul sounding guitar, but also with a neck through, replacing the Washburn Falcon that I idiotically sold.
Tele - a Basic tele which has the tele sound in the bridge pickup but also a stratty neck pickup. Obviously I'd love a vintage tele, but mine plays well and has good electronics. Also, 6 saddles.
LP Special - a guitar with two P90s. Wanted to get something good with two P90s since I had that PRS. The idea is the '59 LP Special... but in reality if I had one the intonation with the simple wrapover bridge would get on my tits.

The Mustang was never a dream guitar for me. Turned out to be really good though... I did want something quirky an associated with Kurt Cobain I suppose - it also has a whammy bar which is handy from time to time.
The only thing I don't have is a semi-hollow guitar, but I think I've scratched my guitar itch for a good while now.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:07 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:04 pm the only solid body electric guitar even made in '51 was a tele
:lollers2: Good point - well made.

I think they did start calling them telecasters in '51 actually, think Broadcaster was a late '50 thing, then they had that brief "NoCaster" period.
I don't really know the dates and stuff though.
Sept of '51 was when they settled on the name Telecaster .... not sure when those actually made it to the market or how many did that year.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think Gretsch told Fender to fuck off with the Broadcaster name because Gretsch already had drums with that name or something like that.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I had to look it up
"Later in 1950, this single-pickup model was discontinued, and a two-pickup model was renamed the Broadcaster. From this point onward all Fender necks incorporated truss rods. The Esquire was reintroduced in 1951 as a single pickup variant, at a lower price."

"As a result of legal action from the Gretsch company over the guitar's name, the Broadcaster (Gretsch already had the "Broadkaster" name registered for a line of drums), factory workers simply snipped the "Broadcaster" name from its existing stock of decals, so guitars with these decals are identified simply as "Fender", without any model name.

The term Nocaster was later coined by collectors to denote these transitional guitars that appeared without a model name on the headstock. Since they were manufactured in this form for 8–9 months in 1951, original Nocasters are highly prized by collectors. There are no official production numbers, but experts estimate that fewer than 500 Nocasters were produced. Fender has since registered Nocaster as a trademark to denote its modern replicas of this famous rarity.

Around September 1951, Fender renamed the guitar to Telecaster and started placing these decals on the headstock. Debuting with a transparent butterscotch finish, single ply 'Blackguard', maple neck with walnut back stripe, the Telecaster would go on to become the most successfully mass-produced electric guitar in history
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

And Telecasters have sucked ass ever since.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:10 pm And Telecasters have sucked ass ever since.
I like mine but I wouldn't want a second one
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:10 pm And Telecasters have sucked ass ever since.
Greg is closet tele lover. I just know he has one hidden somewhere out in his garage he plays when no one is home to see him do it. :lollers2: :lollers2:
:happytrees: