NGD....this time it's serious

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Tadpui

Re: NGD....this time it's serious

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am Ha, no I've already decided the stock original pickups will stay. I've got some Fender surfy and screaming Marshall clips up in the tone thread.
I think that's an excellent decision. Warts and all, there's just nothing like a 50+ year old pickup doing what it was born to do.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 am .....................
Maybe @muttley can weigh in here....my biggest concern is sanding the neck. I do not want the serial number sanded away, which is a common thing for Mosrite necks after a refret. Is it possible to refret a neck without sanding it down? :confused:
Sorry guys been away this week on a jolly...

You absolutely do not need to sand a fret board when refretting. The reasons for sanding would be to adjust a radius, remove string groove marks or to level off a hump or two. Any builder worth his salt would be able to refret a well set neck without sanding. The biggest problems come with old and dry rosewood or ebony which has a tendency to chip out when you remove the existing frets. That can be avoided except in the worst cases by conditioning the fret board well before hand and heating the frets with a soldering iron to break and glue joint that maybe in there. The breakout is fairly easy to fix when it does happen and its standard on a refret..

If its playing well at present dont swap them out. If they need swapping out and you can get6 hold of matching fret wire which most decent repair guys would have then maybe just swap out the first 7 or so and bring them back to the others..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:15 pm
Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 am .....................
Maybe @muttley can weigh in here....my biggest concern is sanding the neck. I do not want the serial number sanded away, which is a common thing for Mosrite necks after a refret. Is it possible to refret a neck without sanding it down? :confused:
Sorry guys been away this week on a jolly...

You absolutely do not need to sand a fret board when refretting. The reasons for sanding would be to adjust a radius, remove string groove marks or to level off a hump or two. Any builder worth his salt would be able to refret a well set neck without sanding. The biggest problems come with old and dry rosewood or ebony which has a tendency to chip out when you remove the existing frets. That can be avoided except in the worst cases by conditioning the fret board well before hand and heating the frets with a soldering iron to break and glue joint that maybe in there. The breakout is fairly easy to fix when it does happen and its standard on a refret..

If its playing well at present dont swap them out. If they need swapping out and you can get6 hold of matching fret wire which most decent repair guys would have then maybe just swap out the first 7 or so and bring them back to the others..
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:25 pm Classic good quality Ramones TV footage from 1977.
I had to wait until July 1980 to see them. They were still white hot & spandex free.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

On that Delux clip.. are you considering doing an upside down lefty thing?...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuHs_mh ... 4sjjE7qdeY[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:40 pm On that Delux clip.. are you considering doing an upside down lefty thing?...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuHs_mh ... 4sjjE7qdeY[/BBvideo]
Lol no I'll never be 1/100th as awesome as Dick Dale. But I am gonna build a tube reverb unit one of these days.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Did a little comparing today....

The Hallmark is very similar to the Mosrite.
Mosrite v Hallmark 1.jpg
Bodies and headstocks are pretty much identical. Vibratos and bridges are a little different, string spacing is a little different, but the rest is pretty spot on.
Mosrite v Hallmark 2.jpg
Mosrite v Hallmark 3.jpg

The biggest difference is the neck. I've mentioned the Mosrite's tiny neck. Well you can see it here. It's narrow. The Hallmark's neck is gigantic by comparison, but in reality it's pretty much like a typical Gibson neck. It just seems big visually and by feel compared to the Mosrite's tiny neck.
Mosrite v Hallmark 4.jpg

Tone shootout in the tone thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

The Ramones all had tiny hands...
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

So I just got done doing sound for a band and this was the bass the was used. I believe he said it was an original 63 hollow body but the electronics were the Ventures model electronics. He had some major work done due to the block in the body causing the neck to bend (or something like that). I thought you guys might dig it.
IMG_20190816_181557.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome! I bet that thing sounds fat.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

CUTE. I like bridge covers.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Those strings look like they could use a bath!!
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:29 pm Those strings look like they could use a bath!!
They're black on purpose. Made that way. That's a "thing" with bass players now.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:29 pm Those strings look like they could use a bath!!
it's those black plastic coated strings.
oddly enough that's the kind of strings I used on my first bass which was a Mosrite solid body ..... around 1970 or so
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Right on. I played a bass with plastic coated strings once and it felt really weird. It also sounded flubby. Would make sense for a guy who played maube jazz stuff woth his fingers but woth a pick and what i played (poorly) just felt oddball.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Update...I just had to get the frets done. I had it looked at by a few pros and there was a hump in the fretboard and the frets just couldn't be salvaged. The 3rd and 5th frets were particularly buzzy with absolutely no room left to level em up and no set up adjustment could get it right. So...the new frets I bought as a precaution went in.

Here's a video....
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/ZgTp11m09Ls[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:28 pm Update...I just had to get the frets done. I had it looked at by a few pros and there was a hump in the fretboard and the frets just couldn't be salvaged. The 3rd and 5th frets were particularly buzzy with absolutely no room left to level em up and no set up adjustment could get it right. So...the new frets I bought as a precaution went in.

Here's a video....
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/ZgTp11m09Ls[/BBvideo]
Jesus.

Looks so good. Let's hear it now!!! :like: :like: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Jesus.

Looks so good. Let's hear it now!!! :like: :like: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
Yup, new clips coming soon.