NGD....this time it's serious

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: NGD....this time it's serious

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:06 am Great that the little bridge is the only part you'll have to replace, especially since that thing is 5 years older than I am...

Those are some hot single coils indeed at 11k, that's wild, I never thought they'd be that hot, but that may be a good thing...The only way to figure out if those p'ups are gonna be a problem/noisy is to use 'em...

Cool stuff dude, I had no idea about the roller bridge thing, to be honest, I've never really batted an eye over one of those guitars...I remember one guy in another band that played one (or something similar) at one of the bars I gigged back in the day, but back then if it didn't say "Jackson", "Kramer" or similar, nobody noticed...This was during the time that I wouldn't have ever considered even owning a Les Paul, much less played one at a gig...

Keep us updated on the progress man... :minernuggs:
I've told my Mosrite story before. The simple version: My dad had Ventures records and I'd listen to them as a small kid. I'd look at the covers and see these weird looking guitars. The only guitar I knew about at that time and could identify was a Strat, and the guitars on those records kind of looked like melted Strats to me. I thought they looked so cool. I liked that they didn't say Jackson or Kramer on them. They didn't look like the tiger-striped hot pink shred machines of that time period. I didn't see Mosrites on MTV. I didn't know at that time that those records and those guitars were already 20 years old. Fast forward a few years and I discovered punk rock and I saw a pic of Johnny Ramone and holy shit, he's also using one of those melted Strat looking guitars. Two of the bands that "spoke" to me the most in my early years featured Mosrite guitars. It had to be some kind of sign or fate or whatever so I started trying to figure them out. 30 years later I finally have one.
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:06 am on the bridge .... two words .... electrolysis tank .... they JUST has an article in this most recent Premier Guitar on how to make a home made one and said it was useful for this very thing .... to free up and clean to mobility rusted parts ..... it doesn't make them shiny .... they're still worn .... but supposedly the stuff that makes them stick gets removed.

If you can't find it on their website lemme know and I'll scan it for ya
That is a very cool idea. I will definitely try that on the original bridge! :coolstorybro:

The grime on the bridge was a toxic gumbo of sweat, crust, rust, grease, grime, dirt, dust, and who knows what else. It was part thick and sticky, part frozen crusted solid. It reminded me of the crap you'd find caked onto car parts that are out of reach of usual car washes and regular maintenance. The intonation was not good and there was no way to adjust it with the bridge in that condition. I can live without the roller saddles rolling. I can't live with bad intonation. I'm gonna go to the hardware store and find a bolt that matches the original one that I broke to get the original bridge at least semi-functional again.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:06 am on the bridge .... two words .... electrolysis tank .... they JUST has an article in this most recent Premier Guitar on how to make a home made one and said it was useful for this very thing .... to free up and clean to mobility rusted parts ..... it doesn't make them shiny .... they're still worn .... but supposedly the stuff that makes them stick gets removed.

If you can't find it on their website lemme know and I'll scan it for ya
That is a very cool idea. I will definitely try that on the original bridge! :coolstorybro:

The grime on the bridge was a toxic gumbo of sweat, crust, rust, grease, grime, dirt, dust, and who knows what else. It was part thick and sticky, part frozen crusted solid. It reminded me of the crap you'd find caked onto car parts that are out of reach of usual car washes and regular maintenance. The intonation was not good and there was no way to adjust it with the bridge in that condition. I can live without the roller saddles rolling. I can't live with bad intonation. I'm gonna go to the hardware store and find a bolt that matches the original one that I broke to get the original bridge at least semi-functional again.
yeah ...... that is one of the specific thing the article said it would do .... free up bridges that were caked in sweat and grime
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:24 am
yeah ...... that is one of the specific thing the article said it would do .... free up bridges that were caked in sweat and grime
I can tell you one thing for sure, the wifey will not like this little experiment. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Niceee, I can’t wait to hear a song with you playing it.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:19 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:24 am
I can tell you one thing for sure, the wifey will not like this little experiment. :lollers2:
What?
She doesn't like her cooking trays full of a cleaning solution and a hammer?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Awesome [mention]Greg_L[/mention] Great job. Bummer about the bridge but for a guitar that old thats pretty remarkable. It's really coming along. The fret board itself the wood looks really marred up too? Is that normal? It almost looks like the soft spots of the wood grain have worn away or been pressed down. Like that guitar has seen some shit and has had the ever living fuck played right out of it by the looks of things! I am sure that that thing is going to sound so good once you get it fired up through you DIY amp you did last year.

I have a question. how did you bend the trem back ?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm
What?
She doesn't like her cooking trays full of a cleaning solution and a hammer?
When we first met I was in this phase where I'd mix various things together in amounts that probably shouldn't be mixed. I blew up a lot of milk jugs, water bottles, mailboxes, file cabinets, etc. My favorite stuff was this dual compound shit I found at a jacuzzi manufacturing company that had gone out of business and left tons of shit in their warehouse which was right next door to my machine shop. I don't know what it was. It was a bunch of bottles only labeled "A" and "B". Naturally, anything called A and B, I'm gonna mix them together. That stuff was violent. It got really hot and then BAM! It would explode into this cloud of toxic gas that was very very flammable. Anyway, she came to my job one day as I was setting some of this stuff off in the parking lot and it didn't leave a great impression on her. Ever since then my experiments cause her great grief and worry. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm Awesome @Greg_L Great job. Bummer about the bridge but for a guitar that old thats pretty remarkable. It's really coming along. The fret board itself the wood looks really marred up too? Is that normal? It almost looks like the soft spots of the wood grain have worn away or been pressed down. Like that guitar has seen some shit and has had the ever living fuck played right out of it by the looks of things! I am sure that that thing is going to sound so good once you get it fired up through you DIY amp you did last year.

I have a question. how did you bend the trem back ?
The fretboard has some small "digs" in it in the usual spots from years of playing. You see this sometimes on very old guitars, the spaces between the frets sometimes dig out a little from fingernails and strings rubbing and stuff. It doesn't really affect anything. I didn't even notice them until I had the strings off and started cleaning it. The rosewood is very grimy though, even after cleaning. It's got like a coat of funk on it. It almost feels waxy. I got some Murphy's Oil Soap and some very fine steel wool and some mineral spirits and we'll see how much cleaner I can get it.

I bent the trem arm with pure brute man strength. It just needed a little massage.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This is such a nice guitar and a brilliant find.
Are you just gonna surf on it? I'd love to hear it on some punky stuff too. Or do you think the pickups are too microphonic for that?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm This is such a nice guitar and a brilliant find.
Are you just gonna surf on it? I'd love to hear it on some punky stuff too. Or do you think the pickups are too microphonic for that?
Maybe. I'm not sure yet. I gotta get it all back together and playing the best it can and we'll see how it does in front of loud Marshalls. Ideally I'd like to use it for anything, but I know it isn't exactly perfect for everything. I already know it will excel at the surfy stuff. I need to see how these pickups behave with some loudness and gain.

And while I've had it apart and naked and I've been inspecting everything, I gotta say what an awesome job Bob Shade has done with my Hallmark 60 Custom. I've finally got a real Mosrite Ventures sitting here and the Hallmark compares very very favorably to the real thing. They are crazy close. I've always said that I believe the Hallmark is the best Mosrite clone out there. I can confirm it now. And I think the Hallmark neck is better for all-around playability. If any of you ever want a Mosrite-like guitar, the Hallmark is the best you will find that's not the real thing.

Now back to the action....

I gave the neck a thorough cleaning and it's much better now. What a ton of gunk. First I gently scrubbed in small circles with Murphy's and a toothbrush. That shit was black. Wiped it down, repeated the process until the suds were clean. It took about four tries. While it was still a little tacky I gently went over the frets with #0000 steel wool. Really gentle circles. That polished them up real nice. It took all the gunk and patina and tarnish off the frets. Then I wiped it all down with mineral spirits to dry it off and gave a it a fresh douche of F-One fretboard oil. Voila. Looks and feels awesome. I can eat off this thing now. I love it.
neck clean 1.jpg
neck clean 2.jpg

Neck reinstalled. One of my favorite visual things about a Mosrite are the tiny microdot inlays, and how they are in twos and threes on the 12th fret.
neck installed.jpg

So that's about it for now. I went looking for a bolt to replace the broken saddle bolt but I forgot one of the good ones to match up, so that was a wasted trip. The replacement bridge will be here in one week. In the meantime I will continue to try to freshen up the original bridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pmOne of my favorite visual things about a Mosrite are the tiny microdot inlays, and how they are in twos and threes on the 12th fret.
I was going to comment on that. I love those microdots. if i were a builder i'd be ripping of that look like you wouldn't believe. It's awesome.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Looks great. When do you think you'll have a bridge and get it properly set up?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:22 pm I bent the trem arm with pure brute man strength. It just needed a little massage.
I'd have been shitting my drawers that it would snap. Is it not cast aluminum or something? yea. i'd have totally been pooping my pants. :lollers: :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 pm Looks great. When do you think you'll have a bridge and get it properly set up?
In about a week, maybe sooner if I get the original bridge functional before the replacement gets here. Otherwise, it's ready to go. I'm done with the refreshing.
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:01 pm

I'd have been shitting my drawers that it would snap. Is it not cast aluminum or something? yea. i'd have totally been pooping my pants. :lollers: :lollers:
I think it's just some kind of chrome plated cast mystery aluminum alloy. A magnet won't stick to it. The entire vibrato assembly is cast aluminum or whatever it is. The base and tailpiece is polished. The arm is plated. Believe me, it was indeed a butthole puckering experience. It was not fun. But from my experience with metal, if it bent a little one way, it could be bent back the other. I used a lot of force but I went really slow and really easy and it moved pretty much right back to where it's supposed to be. And I knew that it just had to be done. It was barely usable the way it was so I had to take the chance. It was necessary. And if it broke, that would suck, but I could get another from Hallmark. The Hallmark arm is the exact same thing.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:56 pm

I was going to comment on that. I love those microdots. if i were a builder i'd be ripping of that look like you wouldn't believe. It's awesome.
Yeah it's cool, and the Hallmark has the same microdot inlays. I never realized how much I use the fretboard dots until you grab one of these guitars and can't see them at all! It's weird. It takes a minute to get used to.
Rebel Yell
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Yeah it's cool, and the Hallmark has the same microdot inlays. I never realized how much I use the fretboard dots until you grab one of these guitars and can't see them at all! It's weird. It takes a minute to get used to.
In the first couple pics you could barely see a few of those. The dots came back behind the elbow grease! Really I was wondering where the position markers were, well...there they are.

Good for you Greg! have a ball with it.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Cool inlay dots man, I never even saw 'em in the other pics... :biggrin:
Starting to look like a Gerg guitar over there... :minernuggs:

FWIW, here's the only video I know of that has one of those (or similar) guitars in it:
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXIk45pL0o[/BBvideo]
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:25 pm Cool inlay dots man, I never even saw 'em in the other pics... :biggrin:
Starting to look like a Gerg guitar over there... :minernuggs:

FWIW, here's the only video I know of that has one of those (or similar) guitars in it:
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXIk45pL0o[/BBvideo]
Yup, that be one.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

einstein magoo wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:41 pm

In the first couple pics you could barely see a few of those. The dots came back behind the elbow grease! Really I was wondering where the position markers were, well...there they are.

Good for you Greg! have a ball with it.
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Ive been watching this with interest mate, nice score.

A couple of things that you may want to consider.

The bridge. When I have come across really futzed up saddles and stuff I have had some joy taking them to a watch or clock repairer. They use an ultrasonic cleaner that lifts most of the shit thats in there. I suspect that some of the parts will be die cast so you want to avoid using anodic cleaning or anything with too much acidity or electrolysis. That can make matters worse. Die cast parts have microscopic pores in there and they can bust out and look terrible. Just a heads up as I learned the hard way. If they aint die cast you are good. A decent electroplating shop would also be able to help you out.. You may have it right when you say you are getting a replacement and keeping the old one for reference and originality. Thats what I would do.

The pickups. If they are epoxy potted which I suspect they are you aint going to be able to save anything that isnt already removable. If ever they die on you the thing to do would be to save the covers and poles and have them rebuilt from there. Be careful what you use to free up the pole pieces. Some types of lubricant can eat away at the enamel on the windings if it finds a way in there.

Once again mate, nice score. I may well be in touch for some detail shots and measurements at some point down the road...