Drums - how am I doing?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Tadpui

Re: Drums - how am I doing?

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:58 am I think it all sounds pretty good. Any critiques I have are just personal preference on tuning and mic position. That room sounds pretty nice.
Thanks Greg. You'd laugh if I could add up all of the time I've spent trying to tune the snare and toms. I'm running into all sorts of issues, especially with the floor tom. Now I've landed on a tom tuning where the intervals between them don't work...they kind of beat against each other.

But hey, I'm all for hearing even personal preference suggestions. I know we have very different kits, sizes, etc. But I'm all ears!

I'm planning to just sit down for a couple of hours and try several different positions for each mic, so I can get a better feel for what I actually like. All of my mic positions thus far are a mix of 2nd hand information, and educated guesses. I think it'll pay dividends to take the time to actually hear the difference for myself and make a decision based on actual experience.
CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:39 am Drums sound gud.
Thanks Crows! Say, did you ever get your KT compressor or is it still on backorder? And did Sweetwater bend and give you the discount price?
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 am Tad, are you using all 3 room mics at once then? That seems like a good way to get phase issues.

The ride is a lot less dominant now.
In the "drum folder" excerpt above, all 3 room mics are active. But as I was mixing the project as a whole, I muted the mono ribbon mic.

Yeah, I haven't taken any particular care in the placement of the room mics yet. They're kind of thrown up wherever, and left there. I'll get more "scientific" about it this weekend and at least space them evenly from the snare drum as I try a few different positions for them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:45 pm

Thanks Greg. You'd laugh if I could add up all of the time I've spent trying to tune the snare and toms. I'm running into all sorts of issues, especially with the floor tom. Now I've landed on a tom tuning where the intervals between them don't work...they kind of beat against each other.

But hey, I'm all for hearing even personal preference suggestions. I know we have very different kits, sizes, etc. But I'm all ears!

I'm planning to just sit down for a couple of hours and try several different positions for each mic, so I can get a better feel for what I actually like. All of my mic positions thus far are a mix of 2nd hand information, and educated guesses. I think it'll pay dividends to take the time to actually hear the difference for myself and make a decision based on actual experience.
Just from what little bit is there I actually thought the toms sounded the best. Nice and fat and they have "tone" to them without too much ringing and resonance, which I like a lot. I'm not one to force toms into intervals or specific notes. Some people are very successful with that, but I don't go there. I believe just make the drum sound as good as it can on it's own and the rest takes care of itself. You can fine tune the spread a little, but each tom has it's own happy spot and I believe it's best to just put it there and leave it be. But it just depends on what you want, like anything else. Another thing you can do to keep them from fighting each other is to tune them for the doppler effect. You get a downward pitch bend from each drum and besides sounding awesome it lessens the interference and sympathetic ring in the other toms.

As far as the rest, I think your kick and snare tuning could go further. The kick is a little basketbally. It's got a bit of that hollow ringy resonance like....a bouncing basketball. It's not too bad though. I've heard worse...on my own shit. It happens. The inside kick mic sounds about like what you'd expect. I brought your tracks into Reaper just to give it a spin through my own mixing ideas and I don't find the outside kick mic is adding much benefit until you flip the phase. Then everything gets massive. So there is wiggle room in those two kick tracks before you even get to EQ or compression and all that other stuff. And since you obviously have more than enough inputs (LOL), try a spot mic on the beater just to see what happens. Sneak a 57 right up next to the beater contact spot underneath the snare. Try to position it so it rejects the bottom of the snare. See if you get more thwack like that. And to take your kick miking even further, you're probably a great candidate for a sub-kick mic. I've toyed with the idea of building one but I just never need or want that much low end in my kick drum tracks. But for the drum sounds and styles you tend to like, I think one of those might be awesome. It's just a 6 or 8" speaker reverse wired to be a microphone. They kind of catch the pulse of the resonant head and add some oomph to kick tracks.

The snare...not a fan. I don't really like the low tuning. You haven't done anything wrong with it. It sounds in tune and sounds pretty meaty. I just prefer tighter snares. I think your mic positioning is good. You get pretty good rejection of the other stuff going on. I think it's important to find a top-snare mic position that rejects as much as possible because as you compress a snare mic it lets all that bleed get louder. For me I'm always fighting the hi hats. On these tracks your toms might be coming through a little too much so maybe look out for that. I've heard a lot of drum tracks where it's like you hear things twice. You hear the spot mics and overheads, and you also hear all that same stuff bleeding through the snare track. That's not good to me. You don't seem to have that problem so whatever you're doing is working.

Your overhead tracks have a nice spread and the kick and snare are centered. Nothing to fix there. Nice balanced representation of the whole kit so whatever you're doing there works.

The room condensers kick ass. I'd definitely stick with that arrangement. The mono ribbon room mic doesn't add anything IMO. But it's cool to have if you want it.

So yeah, all in all you're doing fucking awesome. Just keep experimenting. Drums are fucking hard to deal with. :drums:
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:45 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:58 am I think it all sounds pretty good. Any critiques I have are just personal preference on tuning and mic position. That room sounds pretty nice.

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:39 am Drums sound gud.
Thanks Crows! Say, did you ever get your KT compressor or is it still on backorder? And did Sweetwater bend and give you the discount price?
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 am Tad, are you using all 3 room mics at once then? That seems like a good way to get phase issues.

The ride is a lot less dominant now.
In the "drum folder" excerpt above, all 3 room mics are active. But as I was mixing the project as a whole, I muted the mono ribbon mic.

Yeah, I haven't taken any particular care in the placement of the room mics yet. They're kind of thrown up wherever, and left there. I'll get more "scientific" about it this weekend and at least space them evenly from the snare drum as I try a few different positions for them.
They still haven’t shipped it yet. They did give me a refund on the price, though.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

This is all great info @Greg_L ! Much appreciated.

Man, those toms have been around the block and back with tuning. I think this is pretty close to each tom's happy spot, where none of them sound too dead, and still don't have too much resonance. I had to take the head off of the floor tom and put a small piece of Auralex inside of it, just rattling around loose in there, to mute that damned resonant head. That thing was out of control at every tuning I tried. It just hums like a subwoofer every time I hit it. The piece of foam seems to do an ok job of taming it. I'm thinking that I'm not a fan of the Evans G1 as a tom reso head. Next time I think I'll try something a tiny bit thinner, closer to the stock heads that were on them.

I spent so much time on the toms, I kind of neglected the kick and snare. I did change the kick-in mic. I shoved it way in there to get more beater, but then it develops that bouncing basketball sound you mentioned. Oh, and I found the exact thing to be true with the kick-out mic. I'd flipped the phase on it in the earlier mix, and the low end got so much fuller. I just didn't do anything to it in the latest dry mix. Actually I bet it's still flipped, but I repositioned it and the kick-in mic, so I bet that knocked it back out of phase.

Anyways, thanks so much for the suggestions. It's good food for thought. Now my wife and dogs get to listen to me tune the kick and snare drums for a couple of hours this afternoon :D
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:41 pm They still haven’t shipped it yet. They did give me a refund on the price, though.
Well yay on the price, and boo on the shipping status! It's so painful to wait for cool stuff when it's backordered!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:52 pm This is all great info @Greg_L ! Much appreciated.

Man, those toms have been around the block and back with tuning. I think this is pretty close to each tom's happy spot, where none of them sound too dead, and still don't have too much resonance. I had to take the head off of the floor tom and put a small piece of Auralex inside of it, just rattling around loose in there, to mute that damned resonant head. That thing was out of control at every tuning I tried. It just hums like a subwoofer every time I hit it. The piece of foam seems to do an ok job of taming it. I'm thinking that I'm not a fan of the Evans G1 as a tom reso head. Next time I think I'll try something a tiny bit thinner, closer to the stock heads that were on them.

I spent so much time on the toms, I kind of neglected the kick and snare. I did change the kick-in mic. I shoved it way in there to get more beater, but then it develops that bouncing basketball sound you mentioned. Oh, and I found the exact thing to be true with the kick-out mic. I'd flipped the phase on it in the earlier mix, and the low end got so much fuller. I just didn't do anything to it in the latest dry mix. Actually I bet it's still flipped, but I repositioned it and the kick-in mic, so I bet that knocked it back out of phase.

Anyways, thanks so much for the suggestions. It's good food for thought. Now my wife and dogs get to listen to me tune the kick and snare drums for a couple of hours this afternoon :D
You could also go full 70s on those toms and just remove the reso heads entirely. Reinstall the hoops so the lugs don't rattle and get you some super dry and thumpy tom sounds.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I tried a thing tonight. I've been watching way too many videos featuring Steve Albini lately. I figured this sounded like a good idea, so I gave it a try. I dangled a lavalier mic off of the batter side of the kick drum to see how it sounded on the beater smack. The results were OK, and sorry but no audio tonight (awful things were played).

The Shure WL183 on the right distorted terribly (but also awesomely...that'll be a special effect someday). But the crappy Shure CVL on the left, that I hate with a passion (but also own 3 of them...don't ask...) actually held together. I've only taken a cursory listen to the test, and the results so far are OK. Lots of snare bleed, as you would imagine. I'll share some audio clips soon, once I play something worth hearing. I just thought you might get a "kick" out of this pic:
P1010703.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:03 am I've been watching way too many videos featuring Steve Albini lately.
I've been down that rabbit hole...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I like Steve Albini. He's one of the few dudes I don't mind watching on the youtubes.

@Tadpui you might want to invest in a few different beaters. Get a wood one and/or a plastic one. I see you're using a felt beater on coated head. That's not very "thwack" friendly if you're looking for more attack.

Also a falam patch on that head might help. They got thin ones and thick ones. A thin one will help focus the attack without adding too much mass to the head. And of course it will also protect the head from beater damage.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:22 am I've been down that rabbit hole...
It's been a fun rabbit hole! I like his no-nonsense personality and engineering style.
Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:33 am I like Steve Albini. He's one of the few dudes I don't mind watching on the youtubes.

@Tadpui you might want to invest in a few different beaters. Get a wood one and/or a plastic one. I see you're using a felt beater on coated head. That's not very "thwack" friendly if you're looking for more attack.

Also a falam patch on that head might help. They got thin ones and thick ones. A thin one will help focus the attack without adding too much mass to the head. And of course it will also protect the head from beater damage.
Good suggestions on the beaters. I was wondering about that...I'll shop around for beaters.

I've got a falam patch on its way. I didn't really know what I was looking for, so I just kind of blindly ordered one. Once I've actually used one, I figure I'll eventually determine whether it suits me and what I might be looking for in a different one. I got the Evans "AF" EQ patch as my starting point.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:03 am

It's been a fun rabbit hole! I like his no-nonsense personality and engineering style.
Have you seen the vid where he uses an oscilloscope to check the phase of two mics on a cab? Crazy.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:15 am Have you seen the vid where he uses an oscilloscope to check the phase of two mics on a cab? Crazy.
I saw that one just the other day! That was the video that got me thinking about using 2 mics on my bass amp :)