Newish 64 computer - only runs 64 VSTs + a very few with limited acapability in a wrapper

General recording topics.
rayc

Newish 64 computer - only runs 64 VSTs + a very few with limited acapability in a wrapper

Post by rayc »

HELP,
I was after an ADT and even when I found one that claimed it was 64 REAPER didn't recognize it, (I placed it in 5 different potential VST folders).
I don't mind missing out on quite a few old VSTs because I had too many and they were rarely used.
I've been focussing on Reaper plugs mostly.
Any suggestions for a free wrapper of something that I can do to regarding the problem?
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Re: Newish 64 computer - only runs 64 VSTs + a very few with limited acapability in a wrapper

Post by Minerman »

rayc wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:14 am HELP,
I was after an ADT and even when I found one that claimed it was 64 REAPER didn't recognize it, (I placed it in 5 different potential VST folders).
I don't mind missing out on quite a few old VSTs because I had too many and they were rarely used.
I've been focussing on Reaper plugs mostly.
Any suggestions for a free wrapper of something that I can do to regarding the problem?
I'm assuming you did the clear cache/re-scan plugin folder thing, right Ray???

What is the plugin???

Post a link & I'll see if it'll work over here...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
vomitHatSteve

Re: Newish 64 computer - only runs 64 VSTs + a very few with limited acapability in a wrapper

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Reaper should be able to bridge 32 bit plugins. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any exceptions.

Yeah, what plugin was it? (Also what OS, 'cause often times whether or not old software works comes down to if Windows wrote exceptions for it)
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Im running a bunch of old 32bit plugs in my 64os. Ill tell you one thing, I dislike issues like this.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I spent yesterday arvo working on the topic.
I installed the offending file in six different folders, made sure all folders were on the scan list - I did the same with all the 32s I'd like to keep.
Cleared the cache and re-scanned half a dozen times.
That left me with the complication of multiple instances of a couple of plugs but the only real result of the process was that I lost the one GOOD plug that had been running with the bridge - PSP Vintage warmer 2.
The next hour was dealing with trying to reinstall that (I found the reinstall log for it and tried the successful location but NO luck).
In the end I had to run system restore so I could get PSP back.
The plug that started the process is the 64 (and 32) versions of ADT by vacuum sound. ADT vst win v1.05.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Not sure what's going on there Ray, I d'loaded the plugin from this link, & it worked on my little laptop...I'm assuming this plugin has no gui, it looks like a regular plugin with the gui disabled in Reaper to me, but it seems to work...

BTW, the file I downloaded doesn't have an installer, it's just the dll file that goes in your vst folder...Copy/paste/done...

Let us know if you get this sorted...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

[mention]Minerman[/mention]
That's the one and I did all you did BUT reaper doesn't recognize it - it doesn't come up in the lists after scanning.
I may need to update Reaper or something.
Thanks for giving it a whirl.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

[mention]rayc[/mention]
Ok dude, I really don't have an answer to why the plug won't show up on your system, the only other thing I can think of is to re-start your computer after you put the plugin in your folder...

Sorry man, I know that ain't much help, but I'm not too sharp on some of this stuff...

Would you consider another ADT plugin, or is your heart set on that particular one??? There should be quite a few of those, & I'm sure all of us could pull together to find you one if you'd wanna...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

[mention]Minerman[/mention] ,
Thanks Mate!
I figure it's something about my particular set up. I'll not fiddle much as I lost the Warmer as mentioned - now I have it back - it's the BEST free plug that's not Reaper THUS FAR for my purposes.
I did go hunting and the chap at White Sea Studio on Youtube did a snake oil test on a new plug today so I went looking for the source. Ther're a HEAP of excellent plugs at that source & I've just been playing with them on my upstairs internet comp. I'll try them on my recording/problem machine tomorrow.
ALL are 64 (about 120 of 'em) and they all have a boring slider interface and NO presets but he did a Youtube vid to explain each one and they're FREE (donation ware). Here's the link... Actually I've reconsidered that - I'll pop it in the rebel base so it doesn't get hammered by fly bys & I'll send it to you in a PM.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:43 pm Reaper should be able to bridge 32 bit plugins. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any exceptions.

Yeah, what plugin was it? (Also what OS, 'cause often times whether or not old software works comes down to if Windows wrote exceptions for it)
I've had problems with Reaper bridging 32 bit plugins. I had a bunch of Antress Modern plugins running on a mix. And they all crashed. I had to add them all back into the mix at which point they'd lost all of their pre-sets. After the 2nd time it did this I just stopped using them. Which is a shame 'cos I liked them.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

[mention]rayc[/mention]
I'm still kinda scratching my head why that plug won't work with your system Ray, but glad you got it sorted dude...There's nothing more aggravating than computer problems, especially when you're in the moment...

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a look to see if there's anything I might wanna try...

[mention]JD01[/mention]
With my current pc (about 2 years old, Intel i7, W7), I've had no issues at all using 32x plugins...Granted I only used 'em a couple times, mainly because Greg sent me his drum mixing chain, & I needed a couple of the Antress plugs to be able to see what he was doing...

FWIW, I switched to all 64x plugins a long time ago, IIRC it was in 2010, when I bought the AMD computer I used for so long...I used to be a plugin hoarder, but over time, I've culled more & more until I'm down to having only what I actually need installed on my computer...Granted I still have a bunch because of my ampsims & fake drums, but the list is really short compared to what it once was...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I bought jBridge before Reaper did the bridging thing and used that successfully to bridge any 32 bit plugs. I'm still on my first recording PC and it's only ever been a 64 bit set up and I've never found anything 32 bit I can't run.

Not sure if jBridge is still out there, but it was cheap - $20 or something like that.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

(Bumping, in case it's helpful to anybody else.)

While migrating a few settings over from my old laptop to my new PC tonight I had my own "$*&! my favorite plugin is 32-bit only"-moment, and found that jBridge is a workable solution. 14,99 Euros ($18.20 USD for me today); worthwhile purchase.

Go here --> https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/ <-- and buy it (though check your DAW manual first to see if it's got 32-64-bit bridging built in).
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
rayc

Post by rayc »

SweetDan wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:26 am (Bumping, in case it's helpful to anybody else.)

While migrating a few settings over from my old laptop to my new PC tonight I had my own "$*&! my favorite plugin is 32-bit only"-moment, and found that jBridge is a workable solution. 14,99 Euros ($18.20 USD for me today); worthwhile purchase.

Go here --> https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/ <-- and buy it (though check your DAW manual first to see if it's got 32-64-bit bridging built in).
That's two folk for JBridge. I had something similar - or may have been that back in my Cakewalk Pro Audio days. I'll look into it thanks [mention]SweetDan[/mention] & [mention]Armistice[/mention] .
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

I did a rescan today that found all of the Antress suite - cool & they work too BUT it LOST about 80% of the plugs I have in my THESE folder.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:39 am I did a rescan today that found all of the Antress suite - cool & they work too BUT it LOST about 80% of the plugs I have in my THESE folder.
What do you mean "it lost"? Like they vanished? Rescan can be dangerous. I'd recommend putting all your plugs in one folder and have Reaper find them there. If you have them sprinkled around in different folders, rescan will lose track of them. You'll have to manually direct Reaper where to find them sometimes.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention]
the ONE folder is optimal but a couple of plugs, (PSP Vintage warmer 2 primarily) would only work from one location & that wasn't THE folder for some obscure reason I've yet to fathom).
I was nervous about rescanning - having had bad experiences before, but wanted to try the Modern Compressor so gave it go. I've the scanner looking in 4 manually entered locations. Currently I've recovered the DensityII compressor but lost the presets. Oh well. Of the huge number of plugs in there I only use about four non Reaper ones.
Cheers
rayc